<  Hobby Section  ~  Vax's Heroes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:01 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 30Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:39 am
Hey folks, first post! Figured I'd start off with a bang and post pictures of the starter. I was more interested in Villains at first, but Iron Train was just too cool and won me over. looking at the recent additions to our side, I think I made the right choice.

By the way, I hail from the US of A, so pardon me if my jargon is a bit off.

Iron Train

Androida

I'll be posting the others over the next few days, but I didn't want to make a flood of pictures.

Last edited by Vaxillus on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:08 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Welcome to the forums! We're happy to have you join us and we look forward to your contibutions.

These two look good. I especially like your rubble basing. It really makes Androida look like she's leaping into action, like a runner kicking off the starting block for a sprint. Keep up the good work and post more pictures.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:09 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Nicely done - kudos.

My fave of the two is probably Iron Train.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:39 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Good work, I'm glad you showed them.

I always have trouble with lighting in my pictures. One thing I did was get a hand held fluorescent light (it came with my drill kit) and hold it over the miniature to eliminate the shadows.

You might see if you can come up with something similar.

Keep posting away as I love to see pictures of others minis! (and don't take that the wrong way!)

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:06 pm
Thanks for the comments! It's true I'm pretty awful with cameras, but I went back and played with the levels in photoshop. I'll try some other lighting tricks on future figures, but for now this seems to be doing the trick. Sad thing is, these are the best pictures I've managed to take so far. Anyways, here are some more:

Solar (came out kinda bug eyed, but there wasn't much to define the eyes on the fig)

Ace of Wraiths

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:58 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Wow!

That's a dramatic improvement in picture lighting over the first few.

Great job.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:59 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
I really like the armour and artefact lighting effect on Ace of Wraiths. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:00 pm
Photoshop solves almost everything. Thanks again for the comments, I'm still rather new to source lighting, but it seemed appropriate for his slinky-in-a-tube (does anyone actually know what that thing is?). As for the armor, it's P3 Coal Black mixed with white. Best NMM color ever made. Anyways, here are the last two from the starter:

Red Riding Hoodoo

The Big Bad Wolf (figured I'd paint him like a real wolf instead of just black)

I picked up Harrier yesterday, I plan to do a slight resculpt of parts of her face, since she has a reputation at my LGS for looking like Marylin Manson. Not sure how soon she'll be painted, but it probably won't be too terribly long.

P.S.: I'm resizing the pictures to be smaller since they're a little too huge right now.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:44 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 148Location: Enfield, North-London, UKJoined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:24 am
Love the Wolf, one of the best I've seen. The rest of your stuff is really impressive too, Ace of Wraiths and Red Riding Hoodoo are particular standouts for me.

can't wait to see more.

J

My Painting Blog / My Pulp City Downloads
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:50 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
I like your Solar. You got some very nice depth in his muscles. The wolf is fantastic and really inspiring. Great work!

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:49 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Vax just wanted to say thanks for sharing your great mini's. They are all really nice looking. Keep up the great work and by all means please keep sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:48 am
Thanks for the encouraging words guys! I'm rather proud of the wolf myself, it's amazing what a photo reference and some drybrushing can accomplish. Hoodoo also came out better than I thought she would, I'm rather inexperienced with darker flesh tones but after this I'm looking to experiment more.

Harrier is all based and ready to be primed. I resculpted her eye to make it lower and giver her that oh-so-darling frown from her concept art. Can't say how it will look painted, I do a lot of conversions but faces are something I'm still practicing. Looks decent at the moment though.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:16 pm
I look forward to seeing your conversion. In general I like to do a lot of conversion work (i.e. Blood Rose). But I have not modified a face. I can't wait to see how it turned out.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:18 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
That is some good stuff! I bet they look spectacular on the table!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:20 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 48Location: Barcelona, SpainJoined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:41 pm
Very good job Vax, specially on NMM and your Wolf. Congratulations!

Offline Profile