<  Hobby Section  ~  Worldworks Mayhem - House Rules?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:24 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 157Location: Germany - KrefeldJoined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:43 pm
Hey there,
i built me a worldworks city like some of you have done too.
So how are you handling a 7"x7"x9" building?
Do you take the calculation from the rule book or another to find its hitpoints?

Whats with jumping on such a building. The rule says half :STR rounded up. That would take a :STR 17 to jump to the top. Right now iam working with a factor of three for vertical jumps.

Any other or better ideas?

Thanks.

Total Supremes: 52+11 Minions / Painted: 45+9 Minions
Todo:Acorn,Kitty,Le Murtiple(3),Lady Cyburn,Hadron(2),Virgo,Tritonious
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:07 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
when Im to that point I think I will threat large buildings as something one not usually jumps on, and not deconstructable apart from pulp monsters (and even barely then.)

Im thinking maybe adding house rules for costing AP or a certain time to go into a building and take the elevator or the stairs up. (up to some characters able to do their trick from inside the building : those with weapon master mostly.)

and then use some commons sense/own interpretation as to who can in fact jump up (at extra ap cost.) werewolves, chimp chi and solar's avatar spring to mind.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:51 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
If you 'consider' the building to be 8" tall it opens more options. Twilight and Blood Rose could Blink up to the roof. Plus all model with flight can ignore the elevation of the roof and just fly straight and land up there. It also helps to have mid-height buildings right beside it.

For models that have to use the stairs/elevator I'd have them move into base-to-base with the building, ideally at a door and declare that they are going inside. At the beginning of the next round before APs are calculated remove the model from the table. At the very beginning of the following round (again before AP's are calculated) place the model at the rooftop access point (hatch, door, etc.) The model will be gone for a round to get up to the roof and will not contiribute or use AP's for that round. If the game ends with them inside the building you should consider them eliminated (a la Harrier's Climb).

You need to make sure players do not abuse this to have models become untargetable.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:37 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Invader Larb wrote:
The model will be gone for a round to get up to the roof and will not contiribute or use AP's for that round. If the game ends with them inside the building you should consider them eliminated (a la Harrier's Climb).

Eliminated? That's tough... they're just climbing some stairs...

Invader Larb wrote:
You need to make sure players do not abuse this to have models become untargetable.

What if they did not contribute to AP's for the round, but still needed to spend APs to get to the top of the building? That would be quite a pain for those who like to hide in the buildings :p

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:25 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
First, if the model is off the table or untargetable when the game ends it should be considered eliminated. Otherwise a bunch of models could run into a building to avoid being killed in the final round. This is exactly how both Meld (Dr. Mercury) and Climb (Harrier) work.

As for AP's I think it is fair that they do not contribute nor use AP's for a round. A level 1 would cause a loss of 2 AP's (equal to a run). Higher level supremes would be more costly. You do not want your best supremes spending the game jogging up a flight of stairs. At the same time, the model can not be affected in any way. It would be like getting Hide 'n Seek, Meld, or Climb abilities for free for any model. It is a big deal.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:35 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
I got your point, but I still think that's tough. On the other hand, it's true that buildings are a nice protection. Oh, and by the way, how do you deal with supremes into a building while the building collapses?

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:59 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
actually I can see some sense in the dont give AP, but still use it to climb the stairs or use the elevator, tough maybe the elevator is just remove at end of round and reappear at the beginning of next round, with some sort of penalty, but otherwise instead of adding to the fun, tall buildings might slow down gameplay too much.

hiding in buildings to avoid getting killed would spoil the fun, but I think usually 2 gamers playing a game dont want to spoil the fun just for the win, its a friendly match and the win is not "that" important (right ? :))
competitive play probably wouldnt use those kind of buildings anyway.

I also think its ok if some terrain give unhealthy advantages to some characters.. this only fits the theme actually.. I can imagine when fighting in a swamp francis gator being near immortal (if this was a comic book or movie.) and these kind of house rules you only play with people who play you for fun anyway ;)

slightly offtopic:
I wish worldworks offered their sets on the appropiate cardboard with those "easy to remove" lines etc. I have the pirate cove set, but the printing quality was not that good and the cardboard/paper its printed on is to weak for gaming. and I cant even reprint it because I got it as a gift from my brother who burned it on a cd.. the cd doesnt work and we neither have the original pdfs on the computer (both new pcs since then) :( and mayhem would fit Pulp city perfectly (and there are so many cool sets there.) but Im not going to try printing it myself again, too expensive (as opposed to a company printing 10000s) with a too big risk of unusable quality.
in general I like solid (printed material) I can touch, happily paying more for it, as opposed to the growing trends of DIY pdf files, even if that would cost me more. (one of the reasons I always properly buy my movies, videogames etc, I like to touch them :p)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:24 pm
I think ther does not need to be a difference between elevator and stairs. However the model gets to the roof is great. just get them to the building and declair they're going in. Next round just before counting AP's taken them off. Beginning of the following round before AP's are counted put them on the roof.

When the book is done you will see more rules for handling situations like this and if you are inside a building when it collapses. For now if a model is inside a 7"x7"x9" tall building when it collapses I'd consider them eliminated. At the very least it will take them a long time to dig out!

If you want to play terrain that benefits certain models you could add house rules for things like "Water and Air Supremes get +1 on opposed rolls," or "Earth supremes suffer 1 less damage from all attacks." You could also do a more broad bonus based on origin like, "Mystery Supremes gain Blitzer 1." I would try to keep these free bonuses fairly minor. Larger bonuses could unballance certain supremes.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:05 pm
MortalPosts: 23Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:09 pm
slightly offtopic:
I wish worldworks offered their sets on the appropiate cardboard with those "easy to remove" lines etc. I have the pirate cove set, but the printing quality was not that good and the cardboard/paper its printed on is to weak for gaming. and I cant even reprint it because I got it as a gift from my brother who burned it on a cd.. the cd doesnt work and we neither have the original pdfs on the computer (both new pcs since then) :( and mayhem would fit Pulp city perfectly (and there are so many cool sets there.) but Im not going to try printing it myself again, too expensive (as opposed to a company printing 10000s) with a too big risk of unusable quality.
in general I like solid (printed material) I can touch, happily paying more for it, as opposed to the growing trends of DIY pdf files, even if that would cost me more. (one of the reasons I always properly buy my movies, videogames etc, I like to touch them :p)[/quote]

i agree i think that there sets look amazing, but the pdf print your own terrain stuff just don't work for me i would love to just have a preprinted better quality version and undoughtably would pay more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:34 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 157Location: Germany - KrefeldJoined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:43 pm
Thanks for the discussion so far. :wink:
Handling the tall buildings 1" smaller helps indeed.

Total Supremes: 52+11 Minions / Painted: 45+9 Minions
Todo:Acorn,Kitty,Le Murtiple(3),Lady Cyburn,Hadron(2),Virgo,Tritonious
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:57 pm
No problem. We're happy to help!

Offline Profile