<  Supreme Genesis  ~  The Winner(s) of Supreme Genesis Issue 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:03 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
All the votes are in and something unreal has happened - every single full entry got at least one vote.

Judges were feeding me two - three of their top picks.

Each of us looked at a different aspect: Will at the quality of writing, James at how well the sculpt would look, Vesa at the painting potential and miniature aspect, Joel, Rob and me at the coolness of the character, I, in particular, at the translation of a concept into a model.

Thanks a lot for taking your time and looking up the entries.

The winner, with the highest number of votes is......... Kurt White's Skyline, followed by his new box buddy, Jade Hawk by Matt Randy.

These two will support the Supreme Heroes by coming out in pewter in May 2010!

But that is not it!

Now, there is also my personal winner, that I would love to have as Pulp City Supremes and out of the blue, I can offer one release spot in November 2010 line up - that is brilliant Riposte and Quarrel by Mark Fugate!

So congratulations to all 3 winners and to everybody submitting!
I will be contacting you about the details soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-results notes:

Uff..... that has been a tough one. I got a draw, so I wanted to share my judging notes.
The results should be by the end of the week, shortly followed by SG 3.

1. Jade Hawk Matt Randy

PROS: Classic Vigilante, very simple concept yet I already picture him. His Team Power is what really defines him, balanced rules wouldn't require much work to follow.

CONS: Yes... he is very lonely, so he would need another buddy to go with him.

2. Frank Malone
Simon Polin (John S.)
PROS: I'm a sucker for Chandler, and that is like reading Chandler.
I see Franky having a "chat with Gentleman". I like the rules, clever and useful.

CONS: Hard to turn into a flashy mini. Or is it a pro?

3. Playback & Shuffle Josh Affrime

PROS: Synergies! Theme! That entry got it. Lots of visual freedom for the artist.

CONS: Shuffle reminds me of Blood Rose too much in concept, though rules are different. AP 5 on both Level 1's? Power creep!

4. Skyline Kurt White

PROS: Ok, who went through my comic book library. I love Moon Knight. Again, very classic, loner. Dead on the topic. Great name to boot.

CONS: Hmmm... see number 1.

5. Robin H. Ood & John Little Chris Dalton

PROS: So cheesy, it's great. Every super setting needs archers. Robin would be a great demo character. Very straightforward.

CONS: The name is just a bit too cheesy in my book, and the Actions would need some variation to distinguish Rob from other blasters, and John from brawlers.

6. Fire & Brimstone Stuart Lis

PROS: New, refreshing, very grim. Every hero needs the nemesis. Fire angel could look very cool.
CONS: Brimstone is off and not fitting in the category, so he/it could stay as a shadowy nemesis.

7. Shadowhunter & Eva Destruction Leon Mallett

PROS: Great play on some superheroes and mythology, the ghostly guns just spark my imagination right away. Eva is so primal and archetypal. I like the rules, for whatever reason it rings Grifter/Zealot tone in me (another of my favorites)

CONS: Eva = Batman's Ragmann? Her name needs to be changed as it is already taken.

8. Riposte & Quarrel Mark Fugate

PROS: Hands down the best rules in the contest. Smart, far from Bang/Blast/Kill. Both very useful Supers. The story is nicely set in the universe.

CONS: The concept would have to stray from the sport's theme as after all possible group sports, I can't see Summer Olympics in PC!

9. Avengers of Faith: Reverend Hammer & Seraph Sisters
Devon Peterson
PROS: Classic. Overcomes my reservation of religious aspects in the game. Father has great rules. In a good way, reminds me of Cage.

CONS: The sisters would be a problem in terms of execution. Budgetwise and not too found of the mutilated angel gymnasts thing.

10. Knight Angel & Starr Rich Salus

PROS: This is one positively crazy entry. Total chaos. Angels, kung-fu, goths, telepathy, I almost see the 70's show done about them. Bag of Tricks is awesome and so in the theme.

CONS: Did Angel have a sex change in the creation process? Rules mention him, fluff her. I can't see the model clearly enough in the description.

11. Radioactive Rat Yann Berton

PROS: A box in the box construction? I love it! This story nicely fleshes out the PC background, rules are great (Underestimated rocks!)

CONS: Would a goofy wererat be loved by people? That is my fear about that entry.

12: Cape & Cowl Nick Volker

PROS: It is still Supremes but with some distance to the whole power comes with price thing. The strongest synergy between these guys and 2 very useful LEvel 1's - we need them!

CONS: Question (Dwight Schrute's voice): In the pursuit of being iconic to the genre, are Cape and Cowl likeable as heroes? Would you care for the humans behind the mask?

13. Father & Mother Yann Folange

PROS: Ok, the concept of the family was great...

CONS: but somebody decided to get me excited about the idea and not write it up! :D

That's my notebook on all, I made my vote, waiting for one more.
It's ties a big time still.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:19 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
That's a great summary. I really did get a kick out of all these characters. For my money though I've gotta cast my not real vote for

well...

Riposte & Quarrell

I'm a rules fanatic. I love, love, love good rules. I don't have any idea why I just do. So you can cast one more shadow vote for these two. Close seconds, Jade Hawk is just great a real Nightwing vibe that I totaly dig. Skyline just strikes with me visually for some reason. I can really just picture him. I'm also really fond of Shadowhunter & Eva Destruction. Very cool concepts and I love the two fisted ghost guns!

In any case good luck to everyone. This is a real nail bitter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:03 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Really can't wait, truly, it's so nerve racking...

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:11 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
So you can cast one more shadow vote for these two.

Shadow votes don't count, sorry :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:28 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Well it sound from your summary that you should package Jade Hawk with Skyline.

I love the Skyline name and he reminds me a little bit of Mark Shaw as the Manhunter. He was a hero that got his training, mask and staff from the Manhunter Cult (DC villians). His staff had a repulser function that Skyline reminds me of. I loved that comic!

The player base did a great job with this contest. I love Reverand Hammer and see a lot of potential with Quarrel/Riposte. Cape and Cowl have some interesting power ideas. Great job everyone!

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:57 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Oooh, Jade Hawk with Skyline sounds spiffy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:39 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
A nervy time for all entrants, I am sure. I look forward to seeing which of the entires is the winner, and it is heartening that the contest has generated a breadth of ideas interesting enough to divide judge's opinion - to my mind that is the real mark of success for the contest.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:45 am
The winners are up!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:59 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Congratulations to all three winners.

Well done guys! :D

I look forwards to being able to buy the releases based on these concepts next year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:55 pm
HeroPosts: 169Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:54 pm
Congratulations guys. Awesome job Matt. I have already seen Jade Hawk on the table top several times and he is really cool.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:17 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Thanks guys, and thanks Morf! I can't wait to see my concept in pewter. This rocks!

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:36 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 58Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:24 am
Congratulations to all the winners! Well done! I can't wait to see your ideas in pewter, too!

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:40 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Congrats to the winners! These will be great additions to the line.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:12 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Congrats to the winners, can't wait to see the pewters!

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:54 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
That is soooo freaking cool! Great job to everyone. Congrats I know what a thrill it is to win this. Now get to work, I wanna see these guys in pewter.