<  Pulp City Heralds  ~  Best way to demo?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:30 am
MortalPosts: 29Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:01 pm
Hello all. I was looking to the Heralds to see if you had any suggestions on the best way to run a demo. I'll probably have 4-6 people show up for my game next Saturday and was wondering how to best run the game. I was thinking if it's 4 people I'll do 4 lvl 3 teams, 2 Hero teams and 2 Villain teams. If 6 then I'll add a level 2 character to each team. Each of the teams will have their own activation pool. Every mini team will have its own submission to acomplish amongst the over all agenda so there will be varying degrees of victory. Does this sound like a good route to take?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:29 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
maroonldr wrote:
Hello all. I was looking to the Heralds to see if you had any suggestions on the best way to run a demo. I'll probably have 4-6 people show up for my game next Saturday and was wondering how to best run the game. I was thinking if it's 4 people I'll do 4 lvl 3 teams, 2 Hero teams and 2 Villain teams. If 6 then I'll add a level 2 character to each team. Each of the teams will have their own activation pool. Every mini team will have its own submission to acomplish amongst the over all agenda so there will be varying degrees of victory. Does this sound like a good route to take?

Are you suggesting a multi-person demo or two or three tables with two players at each table?

I do agree that each team needs their own agenda while working towards a plot. I don't recommend running any demo of Pulp City without a mission of some kind.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:49 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
First off select Supremes that you are familiar with. You need to know, KNOW what each Supreme can do. This will help when it comes time to give advice and options to newer players.

I suggest a Smack Down Plot as it's easy and un-complicated for all involved. After that giving each player an Agenda to work towards is a good idea. No more than a single Minion card per player. Enough so they can see how they work but not too many model or things to keep track of. Same with resources keep it down, keep it simple.

When demo-ing I like to start simple with Movment Actions. Then add in more options as the rounds progress. Trumps round 1, including throwing things around. Add Power Up round 2, etc... don't introduce everything all at once. Again with Exclusive actions start slow. Introduce the bread and butter powers for each Supreme. Then worry about the more subtle powers later, if at all.

Stress the simple mechanics but deep game play. Try and show a little of everything. Flight, destroying scenary, throwing stuff, citizens. All this adds to the flavor and feel of the game.

Keep it moving, keep it simple and get excited. Remember that having fun is the point of any game the more fun you have the more fun they have and they associate that with Pulp City. Dirty sales trick I know but it works. Laugh make jokes and keep it a fun fresh funny experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:35 pm
I'm going to be doing a multi-person demo on one table. Probably 2-3 mini teams per side each with their own resource pool. It'll be a brawl where each mini team gets points for who they take out of action and can get points for hidden agendas. Heroes will combine their points at the end of the game and so will Villains.

I'm debating using resource cards at all. I think some of them are very needed such as Nukes radioactive substance. I won't be using minions at all because I don't have them painted. Likewise citizens won't be showing up because I won't have them painted in time either. These guys all play Malifaux and some play Infinity so I think they'll pick up the rules pretty fast.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
I would include the unique resources for each supreme. So for example, Gentleman will get the sniper rifle, Nuke will get radioactive, Virus would get the glove, etc.

Sounds like a good plan with what the Beermonkey mentioned above.

Have you thought about becoming a Herald?

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:57 am
What I'm thinking about doing is having some of the unique resources scattered about the board. I think I'll have a graveyard in the city and in it will be Hellsmiths hammer and Hoodoo's wolf so the players with those characters will have motivation to head that way. Irontrain and Guerrilla may both have to get their resources from a warehouse which could lead to those to fighting it out. Teams who complete their plot will get an extra point or so towards their teams totals.

I applied for Herald over a month ago and haven't received a reply other than Morf saying they are thinking about redoing how the program works or some such. We'll see how it goes I guess!

Offline Profile