<  Hero Tactics  ~  SOVEREIGN LVL 2 MYSTERY (BETA RULES)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:40 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:30 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
ERRATA:

Ignore the RNG for Bloody Swathe. This will be tidied up before the final card is out. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:03 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
NAME: Sovereign
SUBFACTION: none
FUNCTION: Objective holder, Base to Base lockdown, Team protection

BRIEF: British eternal protector.

POWERS: Sovereign offers a mix of ranged and Close Combat Actions and so at first glance bears comparison to Supremes such as Solar, but due to differing skills and Action effects he will have a much different role.

Albion Mk I is a nice basic Ranged attack with an option that turns it into one of the better Rays currently available. The upshot is that this is a versatile Action capable of tagging one of even several models if used right; the Ray should be great for thinning out groups of Minions while the Projectile can be used to soften up potential targets. When considering using the Pr version against a target, bear in mind that the RNG is the same distance as a Charge* and the net AP cost is the same for the projectile as for Charge* + Strike; select Action accordingly.

Bloody Swathe is an interesting offering, and potentially a very powerful Self-Blast given that 1 Power-Up die/cost affects all targets. Just remember to hold onto the Trump Roll until it is most effective. Against more than 1 defending target with Trump :DEF you may be able to force your opponent to burn AP and Power-Up dice, so it is worth considering that option. Of course in doing so you have burned half of Sovereign’s AP Allowance for the round, but it can certainly be worthwhile.

British Steel*; probably my favorite of his suite of actions, British Steel* should not really see much use until mid-to-late game when Sovereign is in the best desired position. On the surface it looks like win-win with +2 to :STR and :DEF Opposed Rolls, but don’t overlook the movement penalty; with no movement enhancing Skills or Traits, Sovereign really needs to be in the right place at the right time to make best use of this ability. Of course that can be situational, and don’t be afraid to use British Steel*with a Strike and even a Power-Up for a potential Opposed roll total of 16 – not to be sniffed at, especially if those extra 2 points could be the difference between taking a foe out and not doing so. My main use for this would be to claim an objective or even to get into Base to Base with an opponent that you do not want to see move away in the current Round without risking a free Strike at :STR 7. Avoid the mistake of stacking other +2 buffs on top of British Steel* as the effects will be limited as a net effect.

Covering Fire* is probably best used early in the Round, as it needs Sovereign to have available AP to enact its benefits. It is also very useful if Sovereign can place himself within RNG of models with multiple or potential multiple Ranged attacks (Virgo, Nuclear Jones etc.) as it may force them to move to avoid being shot at for attacking the designated Supreme on Sovereign’s Team. Not an ability to use all the time, as it may simply mean that Sovereign is targeted instead with his average for a Level 2 :AGL .

SKILLS: As a passive Skill, Leave No Trace is not going to require any significant consideration except in relation to Sovereign’s Team Power.

TEAM POWER – THE DEFENDER: My view is how importantly you rank Sovereign versus the importance of a model that he may replace. A Level 1 that can keep up-table and out of danger is probably ideal fodder to be replaced. Level 2’s on the other hand probably offer their own unique strengths and so should naturally be less obvious replacement choices.

WEAKNESSES: Sovereign’s primary weakness is a mixed blessing – his Team power makes him durable yet stops him from being healed. If you are used to relying on Blood Rose and First Aid Kits, you may need to re-think how you play when including Sovereign in your Team, and there will be temptation to have a ‘sacrificial’ Supreme to use to bring Sovereign back. Also he isn’t very mobile by himself, and becomes less so with British Steel*.

SYNERGIES: Blood Rose for mobility – she can drop Sovereign where needed; use with Trail or Heroic Call (Battlefield Control) Resource and allow Sovereign to drop into the right place and throw down British Steel* and maybe even Covering Fire*. Enhance that further with the Path of Destiny Resource and suddenly you have created a very tough roadblock. Dead Eye makes a great leader at EL 12+, partially compensating Sovereign’s lack of mobility.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:09 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 153Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm
Clarification requested: how often can Sovereign make fast shots with covering fire?
The first sentence is clunky too.

Maybe it should say "Choose a friendly model other than Sovereign. Each time the chosen model is targeted with a ranged attack action by an enemy model that enemy may be subject to a fast shot (details) originating from Sovereign."

& For my information is Damage boxes remaining or boxes crossed off. This is in relation to his team power.

Last edited by Pickles on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:14 pm
Pickles wrote:
Clarification requested: how often can Sovereign make fast shots with covering fire?
The first sentence is clunky too.

Maybe it should say "Choose a friendly model other than Sovereign. Each time the chosen model is targeted with a ranged attack action by an enemy model that enemy may be subject to a fast shot (details) originating from Sovereign."

My understanding of the intent is that it should be unlimited shots subject to AP Allowance, but we will have time to ensure that is 100% clear. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:33 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
I'm also eager to hear what the avatar of British-ness is doing in Pulp City.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:22 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
It's better than being in Brittan!
:twisted: :shock: :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:53 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
It's better than being in Brittan!
:twisted: :shock: :D

Oooh - fightin' talk! :evil:

:P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:38 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Sorry couldn't resist! That's just who I am.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:29 am
HeroPosts: 268Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 am
Got Sovereign in the mail today and just want to clarify a few things with his team power. When you replace another Supreme with Sovereign you keep the same number of damage the model had. How about:

- In the unlikely situation that the Supreme replaced has more damage than Sovereign's starting damage then I'm guessing you just use Sovereign's starting damage?

- AP used for the round? Does Sovereign keep his own "AP used" value, does he take the "AP used" of the replaced Supreme's or does he get "reset" to no AP used? I.e he has used 4 AP before he dies, he replaces a Supreme who has used 2 AAP, does he now have 4, 2 or 0 AP used?

- Personal Resource cards/Exclusive Minion? Does Sovereign keep his, swap for the replaced model's or lose/keep both?

- Any effects currently "on" either model kept/lost?

Obviously all a bit much detail to fit on one card! :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:42 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Good questions.

Sovereign gains or loses damage as it states specifically on his card that he comes with "as much damage as" the replaced model. If that model had 25 damage, then so would new Sovereign.

Each model is considered eliminated- Sovereign dies and is NOT incapacitated. He is eliminated, so he isn't on the table. Effects don't stay on an eliminated model. The model that Sovereign replaces is eliminated as well. So no effects stay to affect the replaced model either.

Sovereign wont activate when he replaces a model...so you recount your AP pool at the beginning of the next round, adjusting for Sovereign's level. Sovereign wont have an AP used this round, as he was "off the table" after being eliminated, even if replaced in the same round he was eliminated.

For the resources and such, I'm not for sure. Personal resources, maybe, but minions, I'd say no.

We will let Beermonkey or Pulp Citizen come along and verify or renounce my thoughts. I'm definitely not the rule guy, but just trying to help. :D So, I may have confused things more. lol

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:56 pm
varagon wrote:
Good questions.

Sovereign gains or loses damage as it states specifically on his card that he comes with "as much damage as" the replaced model. If that model had 25 damage, then so would new Sovereign.

...l

Just to clarify, in this instance the 'Damage' referred to is the Damage already taken by the replaced model.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:04 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 153Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm
Who thought it was a good idea to call the amount of damage you can sustain & the amount of damage you have sustained & the amount of damage you can sustain less the amount of damage you have sustained the same thing? :twisted:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:25 pm
Pickles wrote:
Who thought it was a good idea to call the amount of damage you can sustain & the amount of damage you have sustained & the amount of damage you can sustain less the amount of damage you have sustained the same thing? :twisted:

Yes, very good point. And one we are acutely aware of!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:57 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Pickles wrote:

"Health boxex" would be a more accurate term as compared to "damage."

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM