<  Villain Tactics  ~  MYSTERIOUS MAN LVL 3 SCIENCE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:15 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:29 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
So Terrodon X allows copied exclusive actions to be culmulatively retained through the encounter? :shock:

MM is truly the leader of Minions, isn't he?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:17 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Yes. Hence Level 2.
Think about the nasty Tangent-MM combos.

You may notice though that the Trait may never be raised above 10.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:44 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Look at Evil Science. :twisted: Look at the BOOM Rules. :twisted: Now do your best evil laugh. :twisted:

MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!

The boys are starting to hate my guts when MM steps onto the table. Though truth be told C.O.R.E. does tend to give him fits.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:59 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Morf wrote:
You may notice though that the Trait may never be raised above 10.

That low? :mrgreen:

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:48 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
Look at Evil Science. :twisted: Look at the BOOM Rules. :twisted: Now do your best evil laugh. :twisted:

Don't forget Team Power: Crimelord... ow!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:39 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Cilionelle wrote:
Beermonkey wrote:

Don't forget Team Power: Crimelord... ow!

Using the BOOM rules I am thinking of Brawlers with Solo, Big, high DEF and Survival - instant shield!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:13 pm
MortalPosts: 28Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:06 am
Comparing him to C.O.R.E he looks weak :(
Base stats is 38 overall points to C.O.R.E to 33 overal MM stats. 5 points is much of drawback. MM role is buff and in that field he beat C.O.R.E but only a little... C.O.R.E can also buff pretty good, especialy Heavy Metal and he is Devastating villain supremes killers while MM is at most good.
Overal winner is C.O.R.E IMO

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:08 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
In our play tests MM wins out most of the time. Due to the BOOM rules a horde of never ending minions and Mad Science. In physical combat yeah C.O.R.E. will win. But MM doesn't do the fighting himself he lets minions and other supremes do the fighting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 am
NAME: MYSTERIOUS MAN
SUBFACTION: NONE

FUNCTION: MASTER OF MINIONS, MASTERMIND

BRIEF: Mysterious Man is the puppeteer pulling all the evil strings in Pulp City. If Mutant Dinos errupt from the sewers, Mysterious Man. If Giant Robots attack, Mysterious Man. If the Ulthar invade us, well Mysterious Man is probably gonna find a way to use that too.

Mysterious Man is all about using Minions and other Supremes to HIS advantage. When the time comes for him to fight he prefers to have advantage and to attack from range. Mysterious Man isn't one who likes to get his hands dirty. He let's other do the work for him. Keep this in mind and the battle is yours.

POWERS: Minions, Minions, and More Minions. That what you need to use Mysterious Man effectively. First off MM is Resourceful so he can bring 5 resource points to the team by himself. Use at least some of these for Minions. Mechanical Minions benifit from Cyberhead, but anything you want to use will be great here.

Leader of Minions gives a any Minion Commanded by MM a +1 to the opposed roll. It also let's a card of Minions use an action with a cost of up to 3AP for FREE. Now combine that with his Exclusive Action Orders, which gives you 3AP to command Minions for only 1 AP and you start the see the synergy. Lots, and Lots of Minions can be ordered around for very cheap. With his :SPT 7 he has a command range of 14"!

Mad Science is the last piece of the impressive puzzle. This gives one Cards worth of friendly minions +3 to their oppossed rolls for the round, and Blitzer 3. Plus it can affect multiple cards worth of Minions. Let's do the math that can give a Lvl. 2 Minion with a 4 :STR an effective +4, +5 if it charges! So a Minion could have dice plus 9 on a charge. Even Iron Train won't be laughing about that! Sure it destroys the Minions in question but they'll be back thanks to his Crimelord team power. This is also a great way to wipe out enemy minions that might be affected by the power. This is MM greatest strength, play to it.

When Minions aren't enough MM has some other neat tricks up his trenchcoat sleeves. Supreme DNA allows Mysterious Man to gain an Exclusive action from another Supreme, friend of foe. Use this to gain more attacks using :ENG , :MND , or :SPT . With his exclusive pet Terrordon X he get's to keep the power for the rest of the game! Pull some of Tangent or Nukes powers for more ranged attacks. Gain Twilights ability to Blink away from danger. Whatever you think he'll need he gets! At only 1 AP it's a bargin. Load him up every round with this.

Last but not least is Remember. This is the ultimate in shame and humiliation, crippling otherwise powerful Supremes. If you are going to use this I suggest you dump all the AP you can into the roll. Make it count and Power Up and or Trump it to boot. When it works well it can move the target and ensures he can't activate for 2 ROUNDS!!! That's a major win all around. Try and choose targets with low AP and try and use it early in the round to get the most out of it. Even if you only win by a small margin you are immune to reprisals from that model so pull out all the stops with this one. This is a once in a while power though, don't rely on it. But it's funny as heck when it works.

WEAKNESS: Mysterious Man isn't a fighter. Keep him out of combat. Though not useless in melee they are his weakest stats and he want's to avoid physical confrontation. Use his Blend skill and impressive :ENG to keep opponents at bay. Even ranged attack can add up . His :AGL isn't all that impressive so keep him in cover and make the most of his Blend skill. MM leads from the rear, keep him out of the fight.

While his stats are all good none of them are great. MM isn't a fighter he's a leader. I can't stress this enough keep him away from danger. Also be sure he's got Minions on had to control. You can get into a situation with Mad Science where all your Minions have been wiped out in a round. If this happens wait a round if possible to build up a larger stockpile of goons.

SYNERGIES: Minions! MINIONS!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF MINIONS!!! Bring some Brawlers, and Blasters, both are useful with Mad Science. If your agenda requires you to retrieve an object make sure your Brawlers have the Strong Man skill. With Blitzer 3, a mere Minion can cover a lot of ground and he won't slow your more valuable Supremes down. Look to stack those minion bonuses for some one hit Minion Kills. Use Smoke Screen, Tackle, and Surprise Stab + Mad Science! You do it right you COULD end up with a :STR 11 vs. :DEF -2! Look for those combos and use them.

Other than that bring Terrordon X, he's a no brainer for what he does. Xenobi is a nice addition to the team. He further enhances the minions and can act as a forward spawn point for Crimelord. Bringing a team of Unaligned Villains also gains the team Power Dealer. This give you an extra +1 to any roll when you Power Up. Nifty ability that can come in very handy. You also want to bring along Supremes that have powers MM can steal with his Supreme DNA power.

SUMMERY: MM is a powerful leader and mastermind. To play him you need a lot of minions, that means models. On the plus side most of you are long time gamers and this let's you use your favorite models with Pulp City. I personally love this as it gives me an excuse to collect neat models from all over and use them. Keep in mind you'll often have one or two copies of a CARD of Minions so plan accordingly. Other than that keep MM out of the fight and pile goon after goon on your hapless foe and you'll do well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:43 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
Other than that bring Terrordon X, he's a no brainer for what he does.

Who is Terrordon X? I haven't looked into Minions that much yet but I don't believe I've seen that card.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 pm
dboeren wrote:
Beermonkey wrote:
Other than that bring Terrordon X, he's a no brainer for what he does.

Who is Terrordon X? I haven't looked into Minions that much yet but I don't believe I've seen that card.

More of a what than a who - Terrordon X is one of two exclusive Resources for Mysterious Man.

See the back of the second card (4th image down; in post with cards above)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:24 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
OK, got it now :)

Yes, he does look tasty...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:39 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Oh wow! I had the opportunity to throw down with Mysterious Man leading my villains yesterday and what a time I had! At first, I was a bit apprehensive to run him. I prefer to be up in your face with my figures, and at first, MM is very much a backfield commander. I was pretty excited after reading up on Crimelord. Any opportunity I get to justify my 18 Khador Doom Reavers gives me goosebumps and the king of minions gave the the opportunity!

BOOM is definitely a good thing with MM, I took a couple different types of minions, standard Hired Guns (Ortegas), a single level 2 brawler with infection (Teddy, from Malifaux), fury and a few boosters to the health, a threepack of level 1 brawler minions (with slow and infection - these were the Reavers) and a set of three "more than punching bags" support minions (Sorrows). I started by copying the big level 2 brawler, but in hindsight I *think* the ability would have been better spent on Hired Guns with Evil Science. It was great to see Redheaded Stepchild's eyes pop when the infected Teddy smacked a civilian bringing another one onto the board!

In working out the math, a lvl 2 brawler with fury 1 can get 3 attacks. With Evil Science, that was a nice :STR 7 or 8 strike (depending on charging and if MM was commanding). The Hired Guns, though, with 4 of them would have had :ENG 7 attacks with Evil Science and MM commanding. Moving and shooting them would have only cost 1 AP (Hired Guns cost 2 AP for the whole card to shoot).

I guess I need to play it out more to see how it goes. Evil Science went WAY evil one round, striking my Sorrows, Gunmen, and two of the three Teddies on the board. . . only the Teddy's really were able to capitalize on it because of board position, though.

The Gizmo Blaster is very nice and only further helps to keep MM in the backfield. I never got a shot off that knocked down more than 1 opponent, but the BL2 came in handy several rounds. I liked that for sure.

I think what's great about MM is the ability to really overwhelm your opponent. He is able to flood the board with underlings and weak figures that can really hamper your opponent and tie them up. If you are a fan of the villians, you should really look into him, if you are a hero player, watch out!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:15 am
Glad to hear it. I'm a huge MM fan myself. Evil Science plus the Boom Rules is well EVIL!! Just unleashing waves of Minions can really eat up your opponenets AP. Watch out for guys like Ace of Wraiths, Nuke, or the Ulthar Taurus. Anyone who can affect a large area of the battle field. Those guys can clear out a LOT of Minions.

Also be warry of anyone that can fly. It's the flying Supremes that are going to be able to get into CC with you. Super Zed can really do some damage to you if he get's close.

Sounds like you used him right though. Keep spamming the Minions and keep Evil Science going. As always just glad you had a good time.