<  Villain Tactics  ~  AVATAR OF THE JAGUAR LVL 2 NATURE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:06 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:47 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Primal Panic - am I correct in thinking that it does not end at the end of a game round, only after Avatar takes 3 points from a single action?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:04 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
BountyhunterQ wrote:
Primal Panic - am I correct in thinking that it does not end at the end of a game round, only after Avatar takes 3 points from a single action?

That has been my reading and understanding.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:06 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
I'm definitely liking the combined effect of Primal Panic and Guerilla. -2 to :MND and :SPT of all enemies near my guys? I'll take it!

Remember, if you save Primal Panic to later in the round, it's less likely the Avatar will be hit, and more likely that it'll give you better chance to go first next round!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:02 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
That combo will give psykers headaches! The more Supremes show up, the more ways of making certain buff or debuff efficient will be out there. That's why there is a rule that puts cap on stacking Actions. Still, that combo renders ones like Trail pretty pretty weak :)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:15 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 249Location: Gatineau, CanadaJoined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:28 pm
Am I right to assume that a maximum of 5 dread tokens can be used in the course of a game and that's why there is 5 totem box on the card?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:18 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 152Location: Peterborough, ONJoined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 pm
hapotte wrote:
Am I right to assume that a maximum of 5 dread tokens can be used in the course of a game and that's why there is 5 totem box on the card?

I believe that is to mark the damage for the totems.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:36 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
smokingmonkee wrote:
hapotte wrote:

I believe that is to mark the damage for the totems.

Smokingmonkee is correct; only 1 friendly Dread Totem at any time, and the boxes are for Damage.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:57 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 153Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm
I played my first couple of games against a real live human yesterday & he was using Jaguar. His mobility & charginess let him kill all the models in my team which lead to an exciting finish as I was way up in points on the take & hold scenario.

However we could not figure out how Dread Totem was supposed to work. As I read it it seems very marginal. Jaguar has to set one up in base to base with himself which means he will always be the closest model to it for a while preventing it effecting any other supremes. So he has to go somewhere out of the way to set up a totem, move away from the totem so that an enemy is nearer & then hope they waste fewer AP moving near it or shooting it than he spent doing this dance. It seems to me that the condition on it effecting models should also exclude Jaguar & Stalker. ie when a supreme or minion (except AOJ or Stalker) starts its activation & is the closest model (excluding AOJ & Jaguar) to the totem etc...

It also seems it's pretty easy to negate the whole thing by running a minion into base to base with it. (well you waste the minion but meh).

Am I doing it right?

Has anyone ever had any success using this?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:01 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Read it again my fellow Monkey!

"(Except for any Solar form or Stalker) or Minion"

Avatar of the Jaguar is a version of Solar and thus Immune/Dread Totem. So is Stalker, so are Minions. Thus it works very, VERY well. Especially against low damage models looking to snag objectives. Androida HATES the Dread Totem.

In fact AoJ is an AMAZING Plot and Agenda Supreme. His speed rivals Androida given Quadroped and the ability to move if he can KO another Model.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:21 am
I am going to get all legally here - I struggle to write clearly & lurch between eliptical stream of thought chat & terse legalise so sorry about that :wink:

Beermonkey wrote:
Read it again my fellow Monkey!

"(Except for any Solar form or Stalker) or Minion"

Avatar of the Jaguar is a version of Solar and thus Immune/Dread Totem. So is Stalker, so are Minions. Thus it works very, VERY well. Especially against low damage models looking to snag objectives. Androida HATES the Dread Totem.

The minion bit is out side the brackets. So ignoring the brackets the power says:-

"Whenever any supreme or minion begins its activation & is the nearest model to the token, at no point of the activation may it end further from the token than it began"

(& I only just noticed that "end" should be "move" or "be located")

The bracketed clause is after whenever any supreme so as I read it it only applies to the first part of the rule (seeing if you are effected by it) & not the second (checking if you are the closest model). I was sugggesting that it should apply to both & you seem to be saying that's the way you play it.

Ie Instead of the bracketed clause there is a clause. "Solar forms & Stalker are not effected by Dread Totem & are ignored when checking which is the closest model to it."

If you don't want minions effected then it would be better not to mention them at all

"Whenever any supreme begins its activation & is the nearest supreme to the token, at no point of the activation may it move further from the token than it began.
Stalker & any form of Solar are not effected by Dread Totem & are ignored when checking which is the closest model to it."

Is that the way it should be played?

Beermonkey wrote:
In fact AoJ is an AMAZING Plot and Agenda Supreme. His speed rivals Androida given Quadroped and the ability to move if he can KO another Model.

Agreed. & as I say he also did in all 4 of my models here - finishing off Rook & soloing Twilight, Loup Garou & Gator, using his mobility to charge from one side of the board to the other.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:25 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Yes that's the way to play it. You and I seem to have the same problem of over thinking things. Relax and just go with it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:36 pm
Also to consider; even if using a Minion to limit the 'lock-down' feature of the Action, that Minion still needs to be Commanded; therefore it can still be effective depending on how useful that minion is. :)

My favourite use is to limit movement around or to Objectives, especially to block fast Supremes - in other words just as Devon suggested. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:00 am
Beermonkey wrote:
Yes that's the way to play it. You and I seem to have the same problem of over thinking things. Relax and just go with it.

It is only by "over" thinking it that I can infer the intent of the rule which is not what is written. 8)

Offline Profile