<  Villain Tactics  ~  GENTLEMAN LVL 1 SCIENCE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:50 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:17 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 148Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:46 pm
Put Simply, always have a sniper rifle handy. That rifle owns face whenever it gets fired. I always have Gentleman backing my villain teams and always give sniper support from the background.

One of my favorite combos is taking Rook with the Gentleman and keeping him as a bodyguard that can use assist to get Gentleman reloading faster. Sniper rifle + Assist = Snipe a target every turn! :twisted: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:24 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
The rifle is indeed wicked. He also has some other interesting synergies.

You should do a write up on him.

Or should I?

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:59 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Gentleman is a source of infinite synergies. Take a look at the A.R.C. Weapon Crate.
And mind the fact that G-man is a Mercenary. So how about :ENG 9 Snipes if you are lucky rolling +1 to the Trait?
Can't say much more about this but G-man's Best of the Best + Mysterious Man's all arsenal of Minion boosts will probably dish several very nasty surprises for Heroes as the Pulp City scum Minions led by these two are going to be toooough!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:13 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Oh yeah especially when you factor in all the custom built minions you'll be able to field in a Level 12 fight. That's going to be a scary, scary moment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:22 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Wioth Greed, he actually has some amazing Synergy with some heroes too!

Maybe I'll have to start this article...

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:25 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 153Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm
Morf wrote:
Gentleman is a source of infinite synergies. Take a look at the A.R.C. Weapon Crate.
And mind the fact that G-man is a Mercenary. So how about :ENG 9 Snipes if you are lucky rolling +1 to the Trait?
Can't say much more about this but G-man's Best of the Best + Mysterious Man's all arsenal of Minion boosts will probably dish several very nasty surprises for Heroes as the Pulp City scum Minions led by these two are going to be toooough!

Now you wrote the rules and all but the Crate gives +1 :ENG while Snipe says make the opposed roll at :ENG 8, not referencing Gentleman's own :ENG. Surely this means it's only 8? If the Crate said +1 to opposed :ENG rolls then it would be different.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:49 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 99Location: HeidelbergJoined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:26 pm
That's most certainly how I would interpret it as well.
Gentleman's biggest drawback is that he can only use 3AP per turn. Which is a mighty bad drawback if you ask me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:27 pm
I would agree that he would not get the +1 :ENG to the Snipe action. But he would get it to all of his other actions. He can also use any other type of weapon in the crate including the bazooka which requires Weapon Master 2.

He can however benefir from Target, Increased Probability or Analysis on the Snipe action. Any of these push him into nasty levels of lethal.

3 AP's is a limiting factor, but he is still a very solid supreme. He will basically do one major thing each round with a little maneuvering. But the tradeoff is worth it for the heavy firepower he can bring.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:44 pm
If Gentleman had AP 4, he would be a no-brainer. Come on, Rng 12, :ENG 8?
That's why he is so synergy-dependant.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:35 pm
MortalPosts: 28Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:06 am
Currently my favorite character in range. Although he's name is different i can't helped and call him Andy Garcia :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:38 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
A Gentleman use I have been thinking of:

A Heavy Metal team (EL 12)
- C.O.R.E.
- Nuclear Jones
- Dr. Mercury
- Iron Train
- Androida
- Chronin
- Gentleman (courtesy of Gredd; Merceneray means he counts as Heavy Metal)

The team then can play with the +2 RNG; Gentleman Sniper has RNG 14! All for 1 resource point; a no-brainer at this time in my view, and Dr. Mercury can apply Deflect 1 to Gentleman once per game. This may have to be my first EL 12 team I field.

Similarly the unaligned Mysterious Man team:
- Seabolt
- Tangent
- Nuke
- Xenobi
- Sister Bedlam
- Gentleman

Xenobi, Sister Bedlam or Gentleman could be replaced by Harrier using Greed of course, but I think that is too high a resource cost at Greed 3. While Mysterious Man and Gentleman work together to enhance Minions, and thus resource mamagement (a key feature of the game, really) Gentleman does not benefit from MM's Power Up bonus unless using his Brace of pistols, so I think it is probably less satisfying a bonus than the Heavy Metal bonuses.

I honestly think that Gentleman may be the best Supreme in the game in some ways, due to the sheer utility he offers in so many conditions, especially as more Allegiances (and non-Allegiances of course) get closer to that magic EL 12 threshold in terms of available models. He has to be used with very specific purposes, but as a level 1 few are better in my view.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:18 pm
Gentleman's aptitude for working with everyone does make him appealing. Early on, he weas virtually a must with the low selection of level 1 supremes. This will become less important as time goes on and more choices are available.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:33 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Has anyone tried using Gentleman in a mostly-Coven Team with the Silencer Gun from Twilight?

I ask as this may allow a stealth-Gentleman to operate more effectively, shooting while Lurking.

Quick question - when does Lurk actually end? My interpretation based on Read As Written, would be that as long as Lurk isn't ended, it continues until it is ended; since no caveat about Round End is included, then it could be used in Round 1, and if using Silencer Gun Gentleman could Move* and also Shoot with Lurk continuing in play in subsequent Rounds until forced to end his Lurk for some reason. Thoughts? one for the errata?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:36 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 288Location: Sydney AustraliaJoined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 am
You are correct. Lurk ends as written when gentleman does an action other than a move action. It does not expire at the end of round or turn.

Offline Profile