<  Villain Tactics  ~  SANGUINE NIGHT LVL 2 MYSTERY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:13 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
Attachment:
Sanguine_night_a.jpg
Sanguine_night_a.jpg [ 34.96 KiB | Viewed 6580 times ]

Attachment:
Sanguine_night_b.jpg
Sanguine_night_b.jpg [ 53.68 KiB | Viewed 6580 times ]

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:29 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Fangs looks very interesting, I guess that's why Sanguine needs to have 7AP.

In many cases, just having the target walk away and use up one of their movement actions seems like a good choice.

Horror looks pretty nice to me as a wide area debuff, I think this will be something you want to use most of the time once you get in close.

Just copying the Draku card into this thread too for easier viewing:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:26 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Fangs is a great control action and really can turn the tide of a game when used correctly.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:34 pm
Yes, I was talking about Fangs w/ quietus (who had better get his butt in gear and join the forums soon) and we were coming up with all sorts of possibilities for it. I think my favorite was biting Blood Rose and forcing her to teleport an ally away and paying for it with her health instead of AP.

Since each action can only be used once per round, using an enemy's powers against their allies ALSO prevents them from using that same power against YOU.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:36 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Exactly. I would think Blood Rose would want to stay away from Sanguine. That is a fun example of how good this power can be.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:34 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
How can anyone not take Draku with Sanguine - just look at the 'lil fella!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:54 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 56Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 am
Who's a good little vampire doggie? You are! yes you are! yes you are!

don't know if I can see that or not :) Of course Triple H had a vampire pomeranian in Blade, so I guess anythings possible :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:11 am
Notice that you can still use Fangs after going Spectral w/ Crimson Mist. This should allow Sanguine to go up against heavy melee hitters pretty successfully. Even if you lose initiative you can heal back up to 3 of the damage, bite them, and then have a couple of AP left to walk them away or use a cheap ability if you want to.

Crimson Mist will also let you move through models and escape melee without free strikes if you'd rather hunt one of their rear support models.

I think these two will be his core powers, although Horror could pay off nicely if you can pack enough enemies into his range. It's also a very efficient way to help get rid of pesky civilians. Just remember though that if you use Fangs on someone affected by Horror that they'll suck at doing your will too. Stick to unopposed abilities, or at least attacking other models that are also affected by Horror.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:35 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Crimson Mist + Fangs for the win, unless there are some :ENG Supremes around to fry the mist!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:56 pm
HeraldPosts: 174Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm
Added to the Pulp City Team Builder.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:55 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
NAME: Sanguine (night) Level 2
SUBFACTION: Necroplane/unaligned
FUNCTION: Battlefield control.

BRIEF: Classic comic book vampire, Sanguine (night) is represents the big bad vampire, using many of the famous vampiric abilities including mental domination.

POWERS: Sanguine (night) offers a nice breadth of abilities. As with his day incarnation, he does not possess devastating attack Actions. Instead he offers some very effective control actions. While Crimson Mist and Fangs are a natural combo, it can become costly using likely up to 5 + target?s Action AP cost in AP?s ? pretty much his full AP Allowance.

Fangs is a useful battlefield control action and when used at the right time may be able to turn the tide of momentum. Since each Action can only be used once per round, using an enemy's Exclusive Actions against their allies also stops them from using that same Action against your models. Ideally use the Action that will both disrupt the enemy and leave the targeted model exposed/vulnerable; even a simple Move* from Base to Base to trigger Free Strikes may be worth a thought. Note also that you can still use Fangs after going Spectral using Crimson Mist (below). This allows Sanguine some leeway when facing Close Combat heavy melee hitters. Even if you lose initiative you can recover up to 3 of the damage sustained (using Crimson Mist), use Fangs in a following Activation (perhaps with a Move*), and then have an AP or two left over.

Crimson Mist is a particularly useful defensive ability. This Action will let Sanguine (night) move through models/terrain and escape melee without free strikes if that threat is in place. Use to evade front-line or mid-field models if you'd rather hunt one of their rear support Supremes (the likes of Blood Rose et al). Add to that the benefit of self-healing up to 3 Damage per Round without penalty (any more is too restrictive on balance) other than AP cost, and Sanguine (night) can be more durable than his Traits, Skills or Damage may at first indicate. Obviously beware the risks of :ENG -using enemies when in Spectral form ? it does not offer complete invulnerability, especially as :AGL is reduced by X; don?t forget his Trump and other available buffs at such times. And of course being Spectral may allow Sanguine (night) to occupy an objective with a degree of safety.

Horror is potentially very powerful, applying -2 to all opposed rolls. In the right circumstances this is a really big penalty (and so a bonus for Sanguine?s Team). Don?t forget that SBl 4 can cover a large amount of the board (basically just over 9? in diameter circle). Try not to use Horror on enemy models you wish to use Fangs on, otherwise their efficacy will be compromised.

Bloodlust* allows Sanguine (night) and Draku to boost their :STR as enemies are damaged within the Aura. The downside is that :STR is not a Trump Trait and it is naturally incompatible with Crimson Mist. Because of this, I see Bloodlust as a back-up power that will be very situation-specific (groups of Minions and Citizens come to mind); the area affected may stack nicely with Horror (use Horror first), but the AP outlay is quite a lot (4 AP) so would really restrict use of Sanguine (night)?s other Actions. One option is to possibly use Bloodlust* with Fangs to generate a Free Strike against a model in Base to Base, but this will rarely be especially useful.

Team Power ? Deceiver: allows Sanguine (night) to stay in the game. If you want to make use of it keep a disposable friendly Supreme near to Sanguine (night) to allow Sanguine to stay in the game when Incapacitated/Eliminated. Models that are near to being taken out themselves are obvious candidates. You will likely need to follow up with Crimson Mist.

Skills ? Freelancer is more a Team-building skill, deciding for you what kind of Team you want to build, and really influencing use in EL 12 games.

Draku ? don?t leave home without him! He is cute, a vampire dog, Regenerates, heals through Bite, and best of all you opponent suffers if he or she takes him out. What isn?t there to like in all of that? Don?t forget that Draku can Strike as well as use his Bite.

Mobility ? with his AP 7, a Run* action is not too costly for Sanguine (night), so he can be pretty mobile despite his lack of movement skills or actions.

WEAKNESSES: Sanguine (night) has a few key weaknesses. Firstly is that he doesn?t bring a single major damaging attack to bear, he needs to be used with models that can benefit from his Actions. Also, bear in mind that Bloodlust* is Sanguine (night)?s only * Action, meaning some planning is required to use his actions successfully. And remember that Crimson Mist can leave him very vulnerable to :ENG attacks (use his Trump and other possible buffs if necessary).

SYNERGIES: Keep a disposable friendly Supreme near to Sanguine (night) to allow Sanguine to stay in the game when Incapacitated/Eliminated. Any friendly models can benefit from attacking models affected by Horror, meaning Sanguine (night) works well with anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:27 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Good write up Leon.

I think Sanguine's Team Power works best with Mourn. As when Mourn is Eliminated his team power damages all enemies nearby. It's a fantastic little combo. My son used it against me to great effect, laughing like a madman the whole time I might add. Keep that trick up your sleeve people, it can serve you well.

Horror is in my opinion Sanguine's best ability. -2 to ALL opposed rolls is rough, real rough. If you start with Horror, and Charge with Fangs you can inflict some major damage on a model. As Leon pointed out Sbl 4 covers a huge chunk of the table. You can easily hit most of the enemies models if you are in the right position.

I think Leon has really played down the damage potential of Sanguine. It's there just harder to get to. Imagine Bloodlust powering up to +3, combined with Horror so the opponent is -2 then a simple Charge that works out to :STR 8 vs. :DEF -2! Against an average Level 2 Supreme with :DEF 4 and assuming rolls of 4 for both models you're looking at 6 Damage. Plus 5 damage from Draku when he charges in with Sanguine. Not to bad in my book. So the them damage potential is available it's just situational and take a bit more work to get too.

The other thing to bear in mind is that Fangs is a damage dealing action that targets a models :SPT . Some of the bigger bruisers have very low :SPT Traits. Plus you can combine Fangs with a Charge and then Power Up and Trump that roll. Sanguines high :MND also helps you with starting rolls and can be a real asset to any team.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:33 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
Good write up Leon.

I think Sanguine's Team Power works best with Mourn. As when Mourn is Eliminated his team power damages all enemies nearby. It's a fantastic little combo. My son used it against me to great effect, laughing like a madman the whole time I might add. Keep that trick up your sleeve people, it can serve you well...

The funny thing is I mentioned the Mourn and Sanguine pairing in the Mourn write-up, but forgot to include it here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:35 pm
HeroPosts: 209Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 pm
Wow. I played a level 5 game with Mourn, Super Zed and Sanguine yesterday. Those guys can put out some serious hurt together.

Sleeping - Actually, yes!
Working - Feverishly to appease the dark gods of the US federal govt, still. Sigh...
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:14 pm
HeroPosts: 209Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 pm
A comment from a game this weekend.

Crimson Mist is a fantastically useful ability because it allows you to make the most of any remaining AP at the end of a turn.

For example, Mourn and Super Zed don't have that much AP allowance per turn (4 and 5 respectively), but Sanguine has 7 AP allowance. Performing standard actions and combos, it's not unusual to have 1-3 AP lying around. Use those AP to do crimson mist at the end of the turn.

This is also a great ability to mop up AP if you have a model incapacitated or removed from the game, use the AP before they're gone the next turn.

Sleeping - Actually, yes!
Working - Feverishly to appease the dark gods of the US federal govt, still. Sigh...
Offline Profile