<  Villain Tactics  ~  FRANCIS GATOR LVL 1 MYSTERY

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:55 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:54 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Is there any value in a Boreas/Francis Gator combo, or Boreas/Seabolt/Francis Gator triad to enhance Gator's Water skill with Elemental Mastery. Basically has anyone tried out Boreas alongside Gator specifically?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:37 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
I have not yet, but I have some plans with Gator and Boreas. They combine well in a denial force. Gator can create swamps to reduce enemy movement while Boreas can move through it freely due to his Flight 5 skill. The swamp can make it more difficult for enemy models to get to Boreas' squish host body with low :DEF . Plus you can do the spiffy Elemental Mastery stuff.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:00 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Just like Larb said! Also with Seabolt you can move in and out of Gator's swamp freely to make the hit and run attacks Seabolt lives for. Also you can use Boreas to throw opponents INTO the swamp for Gator to snack on. That's a great way to keep Gator happy and to knock those cringing support models out of the back line. Fly Boreas behind the line knock Hoodoo or Blood Rose into the swamp, now they are knocked down hurt and right where Gator likes them. Not to mention Gator doesn't have to expose himself by leaving the swamp. So add all that up and you have some very nasty synergies possible here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:29 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Quick question about Elemental Mastery:

- even though it is a level 2 resource, it isn't personal (ie specific to any one supreme), so the level is simply a cost to be paid - in other words Francis Gator (L1) could benefit from counting as a Water supreme in relation to using Elemental Mastery, right?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:37 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Yup. Elemental Mastery works for the entire team and is not assigned to any one model. Anyone with the appropriate elements may use it.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:50 pm
Invader Larb wrote:
Yup. Elemental Mastery works for the entire team and is not assigned to any one model. Anyone with the appropriate elements may use it.

Thanks for the confirmation - I'm glad I understood it correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:06 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
NAME: FRANCIS GATOR
SUBFACTION: COVEN

FUNCTION: AREA DENIAL/ MELEE COMBAT

BRIEF: Gator is an ambush Supreme. He loves to hide in the swamp and strike out against anything that ventures into his territory. Fortunatly for Gator he can summon up a little slice of home whenever and wherever he wants. Once in his swamp he's a hard target to get to. If you venture into the swamp after him, well you are gonna get bit.

With Gator your strategy is very simple find out where the opponet wants to be and put the swamp there. Get Gator into the swamp as fast as possible. Once he's in there look for weakened models and eat them. Rinse repeat.

POWERS: With Francis it's all about the Albino Gator's Curse. The ability to summon that slice of swamp within 8" that make Gator dangerous. When out of his swamp Gator is very vulnerable to ranged attacks. It's important to get the swamp up early and get Gator hiding in it quickly. It's an expensive action so on the round the swamp comes out nothing Gator won't be able to help you. Use this ability early and make sure it occupies prime real estate that your opponents are alread in, or will need to pass through.

Mosquito Swarm is a nice ranged attack. It uses Gator's :SPT and so doesn't benifit from the Water trait. It also imposes a nasty -1 penalty to all oppossed rolls to models damaged by it. Remeber that if the model you hit with a Swarm is also in the Swamp it takes an additional 2 points of damage from this power!

Sharp Teeth I Got is a nifty little power. Works like a basic strike, even costs the same. Sharp Teeth inflicts Aftershocks 1 and like Mosquito Swarm deals an extra 2 damage while the opponent is in the Swamp. While Francis can still only make 1 basic strike a round Sharp Teeth essentially gives him an extra beefier strike. Always use this one first, especially on a charge or when Powering Up.

Gumbo is a fantastic power but a bit situational. It lets Francis heal damage when he incapacitates an enemy. More importantly it let's Francis gain additional Trump Traits. Whenever you can I recomend you try and use this power. Giving any model additional Trump Traits can be a very powerful asset. In fact Gator could theoretically have all his traits become trumped using Gumbo. It's not very likely but it's possible. Remember to try and leave 1 AP on Francis just in case he has an opportunity to use this.

The Scent of Blood team power helps Gator to compensate for his biggest weakness, a low :AGL. Gator needs to get into combat and do damage early in order to be used effectively.

WEAKNESS: Gator is very weak against ranged combat at first. Until he can get into melee and trigger his Scent of Blood keep him out of sight of the shooters. Once he's in his swamp your enemy will need to go in and get him. This puts Gator at an advantage even against tough characters like Iron Train. Watch out for other Water Supremes and anyone with flight who won't find themselves slowed by the swamp. Harrier can use her flyby attack against Gator to good effect so watch out for her.

SYNERGIES:Gator often need a good bit of help to get the most out of. Big helpers are Rook, his ability to give an extra AP is great on turn 1. With 5 AP to spend have Gator use Albino Gator then walk into the swamp on turn 1. Or simply place the swamp 4" deeper into the board than normal. Rook can also save Gator from some nasty gunfire until he can get into position.

As I said earlier in this post Seabolt and Boreas have a lot to offer as well. Seabolt is unaffected by the swamp so it's mutiually benificial. Both Boreas and Seabolt can soften up harder targets and move them into the swamp so Gator can finish them off, hopefully gaining Gumbo in the process. Any model that can feed the Gator is a friend, Apebot, Kitty Cheshire can all be helpful.

In summary Francis Gator is the kind of Supreme that makes you think twice about going places. You don't want him in his swamp, you don't want to slog through his swamp as it slows you down and leaves you vulnerable. You also need to watch out for him to make a Charge move out of the swamp after one of your support characters. He's not the most powerful model in the game but he can and should be used to bully and intimedate your opponent. Play hit and run and be aggresive and you'll do well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:48 pm
Great write-up Berrmonkey.

Francis Gator is an excellent level 1 villain with a great core ability for board control.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:06 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Apebot & Virus may also be good partners to throw enemies into the swamp for Gator to munch on.

I'm still not that big a fan of the actual model, but he does sound like a useful Level 1 option.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:20 pm
You need to see the model in person. It has excellent fun detail and was much cooler than I expected when I bougth him and Rook.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:29 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
dboeren wrote:
Apebot & Virus may also be good partners to throw enemies into the swamp for Gator to munch on.

I'm still not that big a fan of the actual model, but he does sound like a useful Level 1 option.

I love the model, he's so awesome. Plus, he's such a great lvl 1. And he's got a hat.

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:57 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Most of the time the model looks better in hand than in online pics, true.

Maybe I'll pick him up eventually, or wait until I see him in person probably at Gencon. For now just starting out though, I've got higher priorities in my queue so he's gonna have to wait his turn :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:08 pm
That is certainly fair.

Offline Profile