<  Hero/Villain Tactics  ~  DR. RED LVL 2 SCIENCE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:53 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:16 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Anyone willing to write up some tactics for Dr. Red?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:57 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
I'll take a stab at it. Let me get back to you here in a day or two.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:11 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
NAME: DR. RED

SUBFACTION: A.R.C.

FUNCTION: Leader and Explosives Expert

BRIEF: Dr. Red takes charge. He's smart and very deadly. Tough in melee and packing enough explosives to cover the entire board. He's one smart mean customer. He has powerful team buffs and provides a lot of tactical flexibility as well as the biggest AOE effects in Pulp City.

POWERS: Dr. Red is smart. His high :MND trump stat will ensure you're team goes first most of the time. He'll also be able to pull of a Master Plan more often than most (Yes this is spoiler of things to come). As with almost all ARC he also has a Trump :AGL . This is important as you'll find Dr. Red get's caught in his on blasts more than you'd like. Tactician adds to your AP pool and helps ensure your team gets the first activation. Weapon Master 2 let's the good doctor bring some serious firepower onto the field.

Dr. Red starts with his Team Power Blow Up tactics. This allows you to switch A.R.C. models in the deployment zone before the first starting roll. This can be a great way to sucker your opponent into placing a model out of position to counter what appears to be a strong flanking move on your part. It can also be used if you find say Apebot is paired against Father Oak and want to switch him out with someone less vulnerable. More importnat than this is the ability to drop bombs whenever he moves. This is a horrible, horrible ability, use it and love it. Keep in mind you can only drop an explosive if you perform a *Move action and nothing else. This can leave you vulnerable so expect to use Dr. Red either early in the round or late in the round.

Detonate is the power that set's off the previously planted explosives. Each explosion has a random radius in some cases 6" in others only 1". ALL models caught suffer the opposed roll. In addition any other explosive marker will explode if caught in the blast radius. What you get here is a chain reaction of explosions that will ofter see models having to resist multiple :ENG 5 attacks. This will destroy minions and citizens wholesale. Low :AGL Supremes will likely take a ton of damage from this as well. Even buildings can take a beating from these explosions. Because of the A.R.C.'s high :AGL traits I advise you to use this early in the game round and Trump the :AGL of any A.R.C. member caught in the blast. The nasty thing with using Red here is most of his team will remain largely unaffected.

Throw then Think is a standard ranged blast attack. It's cheap and improves if you can roll a 6 on the opposed roll. This is a real bread and butter attack. Keep in mind if you're AP's are low you can use this to set off explosives you planted earlier.

Planning is so good it's not funny. For 1 AP you can make 3 moves and you win all ties! Dr. Red can use this on himself and now he plants 3 explosives a round. Wow. Use it on Apebot with Fix Speed and watch him race across the board! This power also has unlimited range! This is probably the best 1 AP you can spend in a round.

Red Alpha is a curious sort of power. When your dice are hot it can generate a ton of additional AP's and even let you increase the AP allowance of any A.R.C. model. I suggest using this on turns when you know a lot of rolls are going to be made. Say on the turn you let lose with Detonate for example. Every 6 rolled generates an AP, or trade 3 in to increase the AP allowance of a model by 1. Very good power but it depends on the dice and the number of rolls you think will happen. Pay attention and use this when the time is right.

WEAKNESSES: Not many really he's a very solid character. While not a melee monster a healthy :STR 4 and :DEF 4 ensure he'll hold his own. Strong :SPT of 5 let's him shrug off a lot of mental attacks. His only weakness is his dependancy on other A.R.C. members. In a team of mixed Supremes he won't perform as well. Also all of his attacks can potentially damage friendly models. He literally will rain destruction if used right, and sometimes this can complicate matters for you. Use him with caution. Also timing is important. You need time to set up your bombs and you need to know when to make the go boom.

SYNERGIES: A.R.C. all them. Dr. Red doesn't really play well with others. His powers won't benifit non-A.R.C. supremes. As stated earlier he need characters with :AGL in order to resist his Detonate. The weapon crate is a must have. It gives Dr. Red another direct damage ability or possibly even more Blasts to throw around. The Glove can be an ok choice if Virus isn't with you and you're up against Mechanical models. Otherwise I'd bring some friendly robots of your own to make use of his Cyberhead skill.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:14 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Sorry Larb, I gave you a couple of days. I look forward to your feedback as always.

dboeren I hope this helps you. If you've got any other questions or comments let me know.

It's true I've seen Dr. Red cover the ENTIRE board with explosions. EVERY LAST MODEL has been hit. Keep him moving and dropping bombs and you can really make a mess of things.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:33 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Yep, that'll do. Thanks!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:53 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Sorry guys, it has been a busy last few days. Thanks for picking up my slack Beermonkey! You've got my back as always.

Most of my suggestions have been well covered above. First, Planning is Dr. Red's signature exclusive action. It is great to accelerate his own bomb laying. But beware, it you simply Move* and lay bombs every time you risk a greater chance of chain reactions. Sometimes it is better to move a greater distance between explosives.

Planning is amazing with retrieve the object scenarios or sabotage a location. it lets models like Chimp Chi beat everyone to the target location by granting him additional movement in a round. Like Beermonkey said above, this can also give Apebot stunning speed. However, make sure Virus can keep up or Apebot will be a sad monkey the following round.

Also, Dr. Red will benefit more in the future when more generic weapon resources are released. Weapon Master 2 will give him lots of cool options.

Models with synergy include fast mobile supremes and supremes with good ranged ability. This allows you to lay a minefield of explosives that melee supremes will have go through to reach your team or an objective. In addition to the obvious ARC synergy, Tangent is a good choice (becomes ARC with Merc skill benefiting from both Red Alpha and Planning). Seabolt can also cause some chaos with his ability to move models and rearrange terrain in conjunction with Dr. Red's explosives.

Another interesting synergy is with Guerrila. Dr. Red is a big monkey and if he gets into melee, that addition of Fury 1 with his high :STR can really be a help.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:13 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Don't forget the synergy options with Gentleman, since Gentleman can:
1. become ARC (Merc)
2. use the Weapons Crate (any results)
3. have a threat range of 16" at :ENG 8 thanks to Red Alpha.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:05 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Redheaded Stepchild and I had the opportunity to run some ARC v Ulthar Lvl 6 games last night. . . Wow. Dr. Red was sorely underestimated by me. Red Alpha is awesome in a lvl 6 encounter - I can imagine it being brutal in a higher point game. I fully anticipate seeing Brandon start to build up his ARC!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:46 pm
HeroPosts: 268Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 am
Had a lvl 9 game yesterday of Monkeys vs Robots (ARC vs Heavy Metal), great fun. Have to say that the Heavy Metal team is pretty tough to beat! Got the obligatory couple of questions:

- Planning specifically says you can use the move* action 3 times. Is this intentional in so far as it's restricted to only move* actions or is it intended to be 3 movement actions i.e. a run and then a charge is ok too?

- If Dr Red takes the Glove, does he then get access to Virus' Fix:Repair skill and can then fix Apebot?

Cheers guys.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:33 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
baskinders wrote:
Had a lvl 9 game yesterday of Monkeys vs Robots (ARC vs Heavy Metal), great fun. Have to say that the Heavy Metal team is pretty tough to beat! Got the obligatory couple of questions:

- Planning specifically says you can use the move* action 3 times. Is this intentional in so far as it's restricted to only move* actions or is it intended to be 3 movement actions i.e. a run and then a charge is ok too?

Just Move* as stated.

Quote:
- If Dr Red takes the Glove, does he then get access to Virus' Fix:Repair skill and can then fix Apebot?

Cheers guys.

No. Fix: Repair is one of virus' own actions, he does not get it through the Glove. Basically it is a boost to Virus that he can heal an Incapacitated Apebot with the Glove, but not without. The qualifier is "may use2 which only applies if Fix: Repair is an available Action.

Hope that helps. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:02 pm
baskinders wrote:

As Leon said just the Move* Action. It's useful for Dr. Red as it will let him plant explosives up to 3 times. Or throw it on Chimp Chi to let him cover more ground. It's a very good power but very specific. In general follow the wording on a card exactly, we've worked hard to make sure what it says is what it means.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:41 am
SidekickPosts: 63Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:37 am
Thanks for the clarification. So, I'd like to recommend a change to the wording of the resource card The Glove for the next reprint:

Please remove the wording "The bearer of the Glove" from the first sentence and replace with "Virus".

Dr Red can also be the "bearer" of this resource and it would help to avoid confusion.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:34 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Felstorm wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. So, I'd like to recommend a change to the wording of the resource card The Glove for the next reprint:

Please remove the wording "The bearer of the Glove" from the first sentence and replace with "Virus".

Dr Red can also be the "bearer" of this resource and it would help to avoid confusion.

I'm going to bet Dr. Red wasn't even a twinkle in Morf's mind when that glove was made, so when a glove is updated, we hope to change that.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:57 pm
HeroPosts: 268Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 am
Hi team, more annoying questions :).

- When setting off the explosion markers, are the bombs counted as attacks from Dr Red himself for the purposes of drawn opposed rolls (science origin and always win if he's got Planning on) or do they count as being from some other source like a minion or a piece of dangerous terrain?

- The explosive counters are set off if they are caught it the blast area of another explosive or Dr Red's other blast power Throw then Think. Do any other blasts set them off or is it strictly limited to these two particular blasts? (I'm assuming just these two?)

Offline Profile