<  Hero/Villain Tactics  ~  FATHER OAK LVL 2 NATURE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:07 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Since I figure I know him better than anyone I thought I'd take a shot at some Tactics.

NAME: FATEHR OAK

SUBFACTION: NONE

FUNCTION: MELEE BEATSTICK/MOVEMENT CONTROLER

BRIEF: Father Oak brings a lot to the table in terms of damage dealing and board control. His Technophobe skill means you really want him along to deal with Science Supremes. When used correctly Father Oak can be a force of Nature.

POWERS: With a :STR 6 trump Father Oak is all about getting up and bringing the pain. With relatively low :AGL you want to try and shield him from the more powerful ranged Supremes if you can.

When closing with other bruisers I like to move forward and put up Weather the Storm. This shields him from Thrown objects from other high :STR characters. Also good against Knock down attacks. And while it leaves him stationary you can combine this with Long Arm to bring a choosen victim in close.

Long Arm is a very nasty power. Not only does it give Father Oak range it also moves a damaged character into base to base for further attacks. Combine this with Green Curtain to lock down several characters at once and then single out a character for special treatment. Long Arm can also be used to pull characters away from support characters or objectives. It's also a ranged action so feel free to snatch down any pesky flying models nearby.

Green Curtain is important to Get Up*. Because it hits ALL models in the Ray area it's very powerful. After Earth's Uprising you can follow up with a charge or if you lack sufficient movment a Long arm to reel in the knocked down model.

With his Tree Huggers in play Father Oak gains more tactical options. Leadership and enhanced Technophobe allow Father Oak to contribut more to the team. In addition to Tree Huggers I like to bring another minion card like Hired Guns, use the Tree Huggers to convert the Hired guns in the first round and Father Oak gets some nice boosts starting in the Second round. Keep the Hippies away from combat and you'll do just fine.

WEAKNESSES: Ranged combat is Father Oaks big weakness. His lowly 3 :AGL leaves him vulnerable to Supremes like Tangent, Gentleman, or Ace of Wraiths. Try and keep him in cover or screened with minions as he advances.

Father Oak does take damage easily. For all his Strength he will go down quickly unless you can keep get him out of combat and allow him to regenerate. This can sometimes be tricky. You best bet is to have a team mate with a First Aid Kit handy to keep Father Oak up and running. Also to get the most from his team power make sure you use it earlier rather than later. Better to heal one model than none if you he is Eliminated early.

SYNERGIES: Most notably Acorn, of course. Use Green Curtain to lock down enemies so Acorn can use her Hurray for the Trees power. This gives Father Oak even more damage potential when he charges in. With Oaks high :SPT he is not really at risk if he is caught by Hurray for the Trees. Having Oak close by also means that he can benifit from Acorn's That Hurt power.

Father Oak also works well with other mobile characters like Harrier who isn't at risk from Green Curtain. She can stay close and not impede his actions. Father Oak offers such generally good powers that any character will work well with him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:47 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Great contribution Beermonkey!

Father Oak really can be a serious movement denail model in addition to a beatstick. Do not underestimate a :STR 6 with Technophobe 1 who can Power Up his Strike!

Last edited by Invader Larb on Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:59 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 288Location: Sydney AustraliaJoined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 am
I get a lot of Blood Bowl players enlisting Father Oak into their teams.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:12 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
LOL personally I think that's cool as hell. Let's face it Father Oak is such an iconic kind of figure he works for all kinds of different games and genres. In the end that was sort of what I was going for. In my mind part of the fun of Pulp City is the mixing and matching of our favorite icons, comic characters, and archetypes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:32 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
I think I will paint my father's cloathing a bit like a kimono (not sure tough.) and make him permanently combined with acorn and bloodrose (whoms head I will make more like a closed flower head.)..offcourse, the tactics area is not the place for that.

but I was wondering a couple of things:

- How is the synergy between Father Oak, Acorn and Bloodrose ?

- Can the above brief also give some brief on the hows and whats on using tree hugger minions ? (I plan on using this painted in hippy clothing as one : http://www.coolminiornot.com/store/shop ... /f1011.jpg )

- Im contemplating to make it a lv5 team with the inclusion of harrier or chimp chi. (the first one needing quite a bit of creativity to fit the theme lookswise :)) or are minions paint from your Lv as well (suddenly I cant remember wether it was your lv or your resources.)

while harrier is specifically mentioned with father oak, when reading trough chimp chi I cant shake the feeling he works really well with father and daughter as well.

I know this isnt the best method to play pulpcity, but I like to at least paint my miniatures in a couple of prefabricated themed teams ;)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:47 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Well Melvin, Blood Rose goes nicely with almost everyone. Her healing plus Father Oak's Regeneration can make him very difficult to kill. I have run them together to great effect. She can also move him up the table quickly to wreck enemy supremes.

I love the idea of making her head into a closed blossom. I can't wait to see it.

You might want to add Solar to your team. Touch of the Sun will give both Father Oak and Acorn +1 on opposed rolls. This is great defensively and offensively. He also provides some nice ranged support. He would be a good choice for a level 2 (since you need to keep the same number of level 1's and 2's on each team).

I'm using this mini for one of my tree huggers. When you click through you'll see how upset she is about modern logging practices. http://www.frpgames.com/new/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=41716

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:50 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Invader Larb wrote:
Well Melvin, Blood Rose goes nicely with almost everyone. Her healing plus Father Oak's Regeneration can make him very difficult to kill. I have run them together to great effect. She can also move him up the table quickly to wreck enemy supremes.

I love the idea of making her head into a closed blossom. I can't wait to see it.

You might want to add Solar to your team. Touch of the Sun will give both Father Oak and Acorn +1 on opposed rolls. This is great defensively and offensively. He also provides some nice ranged support. He would be a good choice for a level 2 (since you need to keep the same number of level 1's and 2's on each team).

I'm using this mini for one of my tree huggers. When you click through you'll see how upset she is about modern logging practices. http://www.frpgames.com/new/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=41716

She looks quite scary - are you sure she isn't a potential minion foe of Father Oak - one of the Dark Loggers?!? :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:21 pm
That's funny. But alas, I'm having enough difficulty finding Tree Huggers i like. Plus I already have the mini. Actually, a few weeks ago a bunch of protesters made a fake forest in New York City and used Chainsaws to cut it down as a performance art protest. So this works well enough for me until Morf makes us some hippies.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:05 pm
MortalPosts: 15Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:14 am
i also find it hard too find good treehuggers, anyone got an idea, where to find some?
I tried dryads, but i doesn't look good, also looking for a more stoner, care free, barefoot approach.
Is pulp city gonna make some in the future? I prefer to buy from you guys.

Offline Profile