<  Law & Order in Pulp City  ~  BOOM - Build Our Own Minions Beta Test Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:46 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
I'll try the changes out tonight at my demos. I am glad to see the proposed change - the feedback I've received so far on BOOM is good, but that they are cost intensive for lesser abilities than supremes, making them less desired overall. This should be a big step in that direction.

2 AP to Move AND Shoot/Brawl will be nice for a few sidekicks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
That was exactly why I proposed the changes. We've been doing it for a while now and I really like the way it plays.

My suggestion is to make up a bunch of lvl 1 and lvl 2 minion stats for models you own from other games and have them on stand by so you can grab and go. A little more work for you but a lot less work for everyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:43 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Well how did it go? Tell me, tell me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:49 am
Beermonkey wrote:
Well how did it go? Tell me, tell me.

It was great. The changes definitely helped things move along.

We used minions in a EL4 demo game. One guy (the Villain player) was brand new, not having seen the game at all before. The other player has played a few rounds, but is brand new to gaming and relatively new to PC.

Each team had a minion resource (BOOM minions based on PC Cops and the standard Hired Guns).

Here's my observations:

1. It works better. No doubt.
2. No longer are minions an AP sink. Before, we would always build towards solo, because to use actions on a 2-3 minion card would be EXPENSIVE. No more. There is a benefit to taking a 3 minion card (greater attacks = more rolls = more chances to wreck face). Both players were described the deviation from the BOOM printout and picked it up quick that this was a good change.
3. The one AP to move and one AP to attack/activate made it so the minions were a viable resource and more in line with other resources that have an AP cost.
4. The extra AP allowed for more combo style play. Especially in a small game, this helps bring minions to the table.

Now, the question of: can minions activate more than once a round came up. I just said for demo purposes and with the new change, they could only activate once a round and/or move once a round (so, they could split the move/action if they so choose). How are we playing this? I think my more experienced Hero player wanted to capitalize on the new change and keep a few heroes within range of his minions and once they had a target, take multiple shots with the minions. At some point, if this is allowable, there's going to be a major imbalance if you've got 3 minions shooting for 1 AP and doing it more than once a round, right? 2 AP = 6 attacks. . . 3 AP = 9 attacks. . . even at a low ability score, some damage is going to get through.

When demoing, I really like to pit Mourn up on a Science Hero. Ssshred Them and Screams of the Dead is too awesome of a combo to pass up. So, in grand fashion, before Mourn was destroyed by Harrier (and subsequently nearly destroying Harrier with Aftershocks 3), Mourn decimated Chronin. Both players were quite pleased with that.

This was the first time I've got to sit back and watch Francis work. He's a monster for sure when he's sitting in his swamp!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:07 am
Glad to hear things went well!

I REALLY appreciate the feed back! So thanks for taking the time to tell me what is working. The more you guys speak up the better we can make this game. (hint, hint Heralds!)

Ok so can you activate a minion multiple times?... YES!!

BUT

You still have to apply the Pulp City Golden Rule: You can only perform a given action ONCE per round. (Except Move and Strike).

So you can't shoot more than once around. That's why there is an ability that will let a Lvl. 2 minion make a second attack with a power. That's the only way to get around that. So in your case the cops are only gonna get one shot off.

That keeps everything universal and simple. Oh, and yeah Francis + Swamp = Good, good Gumbo. I always take him with Rook so he can swamp + move into swamp turn 1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:30 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
An issue that hasn't yet arisen for me in a game with the flat 1 AP Minion action costs is the Leader of Minions skill; by default it means that all Minion actions will then become free when commanded by that Supreme, won't they?

This will be more of a matter as more Supremes appear with the relevant skill, since we only have Mysterious Man available right now. He has Leader of Minions/3, but even a (future) Supreme with Leader of Minions/1 becomes very useful, since it is in effect a free (if dedicated) AP, and the utility increases according to the range of BOOM options.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:17 pm
That's a good point Leon. In fact I think "Some" minion actions will have to remain at 1 AP per model. For now though the flat 1 AP makes minions useable and fixes a lot of the problems inherent in the minion system.

Another thing I came up with is this: Minions wth out the :STR stat may make a Strike action but at :ENG -1. Or maybe :ENG - 2, to a minimum of one. It occured to me that it makes more sense to take a blaster with high :ENG than a brawler. The blaster can shoot and then charge for a full :ENG +1 Strike. That doesn't fit at all. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:20 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Beermonkey wrote:
That's a good point Leon. In fact I think "Some" minion actions will have to remain at 1 AP per model. For now though the flat 1 AP makes minions useable and fixes a lot of the problems inherent in the minion system.

Another thing I came up with is this: Minions wth out the :STR stat may make a Strike action but at :ENG -1. Or maybe :ENG - 2, to a minimum of one. It occured to me that it makes more sense to take a blaster with high :ENG than a brawler. The blaster can shoot and then charge for a full :ENG +1 Strike. That doesn't fit at all. What do you guys think?

I would take the strike at -2, even if the Strike has a 0 value as a result; this should be a secondary benefit after all.

Also, I had a thought for this as another uprgrade (I don't think it has been discussed yet):

Exclusive: this Minion/Minion group is exclusive to a named Supreme (named before the game begins). If the named Supreme is eliminated, so are any associated exclusive Minions. In addition, only the named Supreme may Command these Minions (unless they have the Solo ability).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:03 pm
Not bad. Larb and I came up with something very much like this. You'll hopefully see it with the new rules.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:31 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
Not bad. Larb and I came up with something very much like this. You'll hopefully see it with the new rules.

I forgot to include that I think it should be a -1 upgrade.

Exclusive (-1): this Minion/Minion group is exclusive to a named Supreme (named before the game begins). If the named Supreme is eliminated, so are any associated exclusive Minions. In addition, only the named Supreme may Command these Minions (unless they have the Solo ability).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 pm
I'm not a big fan of Black Orc churning out sub-par figures, but this one looks like it would make for a great sidekick/minion with Dead Eye:

The Luchador!

http://100k.blackorc.com/newsDetail.php?articleid=187

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:25 am
With a decent paint job he could work; this is using the 4 MPP limit proopsed by Beermonkey (p. 9):

Luchador
Level 2
:STR 4
:DEF 4

Damage: ? ? ? ? ?

Deadly Rush, Fury 1, Survival 1, Tackle, Under Strength

or for a more 'independent' side-kick:

Luchador
Level 2
:STR 4
:DEF 3

Damage: ? ? ? ? ?

Deadly Rush, Fury 1, Solo, Survival 1, Tackle, Under Strength

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:36 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
BUT

You still have to apply the Pulp City Golden Rule: You can only perform a given action ONCE per round. (Except Move and Strike).

Uh, you can Move and Strike more than once a round?

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:01 pm
Scorpio wrote:
Beermonkey wrote:
BUT

Uh, you can Move and Strike more than once a round?

Move* can be used twice per round; Strike once per round for :STR Minions unless they also have Fury or Skilled.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:41 pm
MortalPosts: 34Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:29 am
New player here. Are these build our own minions rules going to be official in the new rulebook?

They sound pretty interesting. Are they meant to allow you to use all sorts of other models as minions?

Offline Profile