<  Law & Order in Pulp City  ~  Voluntarily Falling with a Movement Action

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:42 am
HeroPosts: 268Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 am
So the Falling section in the book seems to have three parts to it. First is what happens when you fall (measure and take an opposed roll if necessary and if you fail that you're knocked down), second is that you can voluntarily fall as part of a movement action and third is that you can voluntarily fall (as part of a movement action) on someone's head!

The last sentence says that you have to place the falling model in contact with the building and the model you fell on after the opposed roll, so I'm assuming that pertains only to the third part, voluntarily falling on someone's head. The thing we're a bit unclear of is, when combining a voluntary fall with a movement action (no one underneath), and you pass the opposed roll and are not knocked down (or are thick boned e.t.c), can you continue your move to completion or are you limited to falling and stopping in contact with the building?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:00 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
That would be NO fun at all!

Complete your movement action!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:35 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Also we play that Blink or Jump actions will allow you to move BEFORE falling on someone. But yeah finish moving afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:24 pm
SidekickPosts: 63Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:37 am
baskinders wrote:
The last sentence says that you have to place the falling model in contact with the building and the model you fell on after the opposed roll, so I'm assuming that pertains only to the third part, voluntarily falling on someone's head.

As per Baskinders post above, we've deduced that the third part of the rule (voluntarily falling on someone's head) cannot be combined with any other action. This is as per the sentence immediately following the opposed roll text in the third part of the rule "The intentional Falling may not be combined with any other Actions". This can be overcome by the very cool, Thick Bones Skill. Which is great, two opposed rolls when intentionally Falling on someone's head, instead of only one! I also like Beermonkey's option of allowing Blink and Jump to move first too!

So, I have a question about the second part of the Falling rules. Given that the last sentence of the second part says, "A Supreme may voluntarily Fall from any height by using any Movement Action", could any Supreme therefore make a Charge + Strike Action from the top of a building and move into Base to Base with an enemy some 4 or 5 inches away from the base of the building? I'm definitely talking about movement away from the base of the building before punching on. Not intentionally Falling on anyone, as that would be covered by the third part.

We already agreed above that movement could continue if no damage was suffered. The third part of the Falling rules is clearly separate to the rest and pertains only to intentionally Falling on someone's head.

This seems like a fun thing to do. Thick Bones, Flight, Levitate and Wall Crawler could do this without fear and other Supremes would need to risk the APs up front and pray for a good opposed roll result!

Thanks for the quick responses Varagon and Beermonkey!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:42 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Yes! For guys like Stalker and Chimp Chi Charge + Strike off the edge of a building is a PERFECTLY LEGAL thing to do. In fact I think it's their main for of attack.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:51 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Definitely. The idea is to make this as comic book like as possible... Imagine Androida zipping down a wall to charge and strike into her opponent, which is very Flash like.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:02 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
This seems like a great move. Just trying to get my head around it.
So,
Chimp Chi is on a rooftop.
Sanguine is on the ground 4" away.
Chimp Chi uses Charge* + Strike and pays the AP
He is then moved 4" from the building and placed in b2b with Sanguine.
Chimp Chi takes the opposed roll for falling. If he passes, he can then use the Strike
If not he is knocked down and in a very bad place.

Is that right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:17 pm
hendybadger wrote:
This seems like a great move. Just trying to get my head around it.
So,
Chimp Chi is on a rooftop.
Sanguine is on the ground 4" away.
Chimp Chi uses Charge* + Strike and pays the AP
He is then moved 4" from the building and placed in b2b with Sanguine.
Chimp Chi takes the opposed roll for falling. If he passes, he can then use the Strike
If not he is knocked down and in a very bad place.

Is that right?

Correct- Exception: an ability that allows him to move vertically along walls or something like thick boned.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:34 am
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
Then the falling opposed roll is ignored?

Would Wall Crawler let him do that or would movement have to be measured down the wall surface?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:40 am
hendybadger wrote:
Then the falling opposed roll is ignored?

Would Wall Crawler let him do that or would movement have to be measured down the wall surface?

Pg 40: Models with Flight, Levitate, thick Bones, and Wall Crawler don't suffer damage from falling unless they are shot down.

To be knocked down from falling, you have to suffer damage.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:01 am
Cheers varagon.
I really should have looked at the rule and not just the ability.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:12 pm
hendybadger wrote:
Cheers varagon.
I really should have looked at the rule and not just the ability.

Ha ha. I had to get my book from the game garage to quote that. Normally its BM or PC that gets the answers.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:58 pm
Your guide is like your towel.
You must always have it at hand!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:17 pm
hendybadger wrote:
Your guide is like your towel.
You must always have it at hand!

I agree!

It's annoying, because I have game space in the garage, so I keep all my models and books out there...then, when I need them inside for answering things or taking pictures, I have to go get the item I need!

Maybe I should just get two of everything, eh?

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:55 pm
Is there any reason not to?