<  Law & Order in Pulp City  ~  FAQ-clarifications-house rule compilation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:26 am
HeroPosts: 268Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 am
Hey team,

So we've been playing PC for almost a year and have asked a bazillion questions on these forums and love the amount of feedback we get in such a rapid time. Wanting to give something back, and the fact that we're forgetful, I've collated all most of the clarifications and answers we've got in a doc, along with some house rules we play with. I thought I'd post them up here as a kind of living FAQ that people can post more stuff in as it comes up and I'll edit this post and the online doc with the updates. So here's a direct link to the web doc:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci ... parid=root

And here's the FAQ:

General Clarifications:

• Ending effects/removing counters: An effect of an action or counter placed due to an action does not end/get removed due to the incapacitation of the model that performed the action unless the effect was performed on that model itself OR specifically stated in the action's description.
• Voluntary Falling: When making a movement action combined with voluntarily falling and not landing on an enemy model, if the falling damage opposed roll is passed (or no roll is necessary due to Thick Bones/Wallcrawler e.t.c), the model may complete the movement action.
• Voluntary Falling - Charging off buildings: Any model may voluntarily fall as part of a Charge*CombatAction activation, however if the falling causes damage then the charge is failed and the AP points spent are lost. The line in the rule manual about not combining any other action with the voluntary fall refers only to the specific instance of falling on another model's head.
• Incapacitation: When a Supreme is revived from Incapacitation returns with no benefits or disabilities that it had accumulated or had "on", such as Auras/bonuses to opposed rolls/remain in play skills, before being incapacitated except for character specific "points" such as Taurus Rage points and Tangent Tangent points.
• Throwing Scenery: When using the Throw* action, the piece of scenery that is being thrown does not count for line of sight or in cover purposes.
• Super Duos: When determining if a member of a super duo is within range to receive the stat bonus you measure using the other member's spirit i.e. Aquerro would gain the bonus if he is within Riposte's current spirit range.
• Burdened: If a model has been burdened at any time in a round they may only make one movement action, even if they subsequently lose the burdened state and could make a second movement action normally.
• Power-ups: If an ability grants an opposed roll a "free" power-up i.e. Sgt Bale's Balefire, C.O.R.E.'s Omnipotent, to a roll that had already had a power-up die paid for and rolled, use the already rolled power-up die roll and then return it to the power-up pool once the results have been determined. The AP remain spent.
• Auras: Models are not affected by any offensive effects of their own auras, but are affected by any defensive effects of their own auras unless specifically noted that they are not. I.e. Boreas with Whirlwind active does not suffer from moving as in difficult terrain but does gain the benefit of -2 to enemy opposed rolls.
• Minions - Movement Limit: The limit of two movement actions per turn and one of any other action applies to a Minion Card as opposed to each individual minion model.
• Minions - Solo Minion: A minion with the Solo upgrade may no longer be commanded by a friendly Supreme and therefore may only activate with their own activation.
• Skill - Counterattack: Damage received from failing an opposed roll against a model with Counterattack is not modified by Absorb/Repel/Deflect/Invincible.
• Agenda - Close the Rift: When rolling a 2 on the table the model may not activate again in the current round. Additionally, if the model rolls a 2 when moving into the rift as part of a combined Move*Seal action then the Seal action does not occur and the spent AP are still spent.
• Resource – Elemental Mastery: Water and Air: The Storm Rage exclusive action will only affect models with the Mechanical skill, not all minion and then Supreme’s with the Mechanical skill.

Supreme Specific Clarifications:

A.R.C.

• Dr Red:
o The opposed roll from an explosive counter detonating counts as originating from Dr Red (Science Origin/any modifiers apply e.t.c.).
o Explosive counters do not detonate when caught in any other blasts/selfblasts/rays/auras except for the ones listed of Dr Red's card.
o Dr Red may do Planning on himself.
o If Dr Red has the Glove resource card, he can not use the Fix:Repair skill.

• Apebot & Virus:
o Apebot's Program: Rampage causes an opposed roll on any model that is in the aura when it is first activated and on any model that enters the aura from a result of either Apebot's movement or their own movement. Scenery items are not affected by Program: Rampage.
o When Apebot has Program: Protect the Master active, all damage caused on Virus is transferred to Apebot and if this takes Apebot below zero damage then any excess damage are discarded. Alternatively, only damage actually sustained by Virus is transferred to Apebot, so if Virus suffers more damage than he has boxes remaining the excess are discarded before transferring the damage to Apebot.
o Apebot’s Program: Throw Stuff’s Throw action works exactly like a Throw scenery manipulation action, counting models on 30mm bases as Rank 1 and models on 40mm bases as Rank 2, and must choose a target as normal. If the target is out of range of the throw then place the thrown model the full distance of the throw from Apebot. Rank 2 Blasts may then move the thrown model 2 inches as normal. Models with :DEF trump trait may choose to ignore the “move” part of the throw and remain in base to base contact but still suffer knock down.
o Apebot may not combine Program: Rampage and a Run* action in the one activation if it would result in an opposed roll due to the aura. He may however perform a Run* action in a later activation with the Aura still activated.

• Le Murtiple:
o When paying AP for an action, pay only once for Le Murtiple's card as opposed to once for each model.
o When determining who holds an objective (i.e. end of the round/game in King of the Hill), choose which image is the "real" one, which is the only one that counts. You may change which image is the "real" one every time objectives are counted.
o When effected by an ability that targets a Supreme (rather than a model), all Le Murtiple images are effected i.e. Gate.

• Silverager:
o Friendly Minion models that are eliminated in Silverager’s LOS do generate Rage points for him.

• Guerilla:
o Even though Guerilla has a :STR Trump Trait he may not manipulate scenery due to his Heavy Gear.

Heavy Metal

• Captain Hadron/Mini Hadron/Giant Hadron:
o Giant Hadron may still use the Gigantic ability of ignoring the first incapacitation or elimination he suffers even if he previously suffered an incapacitation/s in the form of Captain Hadron or Mini Hadron.
o Giant Hadron’s Grab Throw action works exactly like a Throw scenery manipulation action, counting models on 30mm bases as Rank 1 and models on 40mm bases as Rank 2, and must choose a target as normal. If the target is out of range of the throw then place the thrown model the full distance of the throw from Apebot. Rank 2 Blasts may then move the thrown model 2 inches as normal. Models with :DEF trump trait may choose to ignore the “move” part of the throw and remain in base to base contact but still suffer knock down.
o If Captain Hadron uses Molecular Manipulation, the bonus and negative to the two stats are carried over to his new form if he Shapeshifts* into Mini and/or Giant Hadron.
o If Giant Hadron performs a Giant Strike towards the end of the Game Round and the opponent runs out of AP/ends their activations before 2 enemy activations have taken place, Giant Hadron can still not perform a second Giant Strike.
o When Mini Hadron performs the Disappearing Trick, he returns to the table in the next turn as Captain Hadron without having to have performed a shapeshift action.

•Dr Mercury:
o Meld* benefits from any Blitzer movement bonus Dr Mercury has when he performs the action i.e. if he is in liquid form he may be placed up to 9inches away in the next turn due to the Blitzer 3 bonus. He also does suffer from free strikes if in base to base contact when performing Meld*. If Dr Mercury is Burdened when using Meld* he drops the object he was burdened with before being removed from the table.
o Dr Mercury may become Burdened while in liquid form or with either Anvil Hand or Spike Arm active.
o When disguised as a different model using Dr Mercury's team power, Dr Mercury benefits from the disguise's Trump statistics in addition to his own i.e. if disguised as Loup Garou II he would gain both :STR and :AGL Trump Traits of 5 in addition to his :MND Trump Trait.

•Nuclear Jones:
o Nuclear Leak requires no opposed roll to cause the Aftershocks on models in the area. Continue rolling each turn if the leak counter is still on the table, not just the turn after it is activated.
o Nuclear Jones is Immune: Nuclear Leak.
o Nuclear Jones may not combine Nuclear Leak with a Run* action in the same activation.

•C.O.R.E.:
o When using Byte Bite, each point of reduction in the value of C.O.R.E.’s :ENG trait allows him to target one additional target, up to a maximum of three additional targets.
o The Access Points upgrades count towards the maximum levels of personal resources that C.O.R.E. can take, i.e. 3lvls.

•Chronin:
o Chronin may have her maximum AP raised to 7 by the Mercurial Matrix Resource ability, which is an exception to the limit of no more than +1AP.
o When Chronin has Rewind active she may use the ability multiple times in a round as long as she has AP available, but not on the same roll twice.
o Chronin can not use Rewind to force her own die roll to be re-rolled.

•Androida:
o Androida can “drive a car sideways” with Machine Kin.

Blood Watch:

•Red Riding Hoodoo:
o Halo of Souls uses Hoodoo’s current to defend against all attacks, even those that normally target any other trait, however Hoodoo herself does not benefit from Halo of Souls.

•Sgt Bale:
o If Sgt Bale becomes a Lvl3 Supreme from Dragon's Champion he does NOT gain a third trump trait, but does gain an additional Strike each round and generates 2 additional AP per turn for his team's pool.

Unaligned Heroes

• Trail:
o When Trail uses A Second Ahead the target model does not lose their “Held” state if they activate and/or are knocked down, and may perform any number of actions as “reactions” in a turn but only one action per “trigger”. A trigger is an enemy model declaring a movement action, a point in the enemy’s movement action, or the completion of a movement action. i.e. You could react to an enemy model’s charge declaration by moving in between the enemy model and the target, react again when they’re half way through their move with a ranged combat action at them, and then a third time once they’ve completed their move into contact with you with a strike. However you could not declare a charge and a strike as a reaction to an enemy model’s declaration as this is only 1 trigger and 2 actions.
o When moving an enemy model with Pawns you may move the enemy model into base to base with one of your friendly models with the intention of attacking the pawn in a later activation, as long as the move itself does not cause damage/an opposed roll that could cause damage.
o When an enemy model effected by Pawns declares and pays for a movement action, Trail’s player may move that model instead but must still follow all of the conditions of the movement action chosen by the model’s owner. i.e. Chimp Chi’s Kage Shibari means he must still be placed in contact with a different enemy model.

•Jade Hawk:
o Even though she is a Nature Origin Supreme, Jade Hawk may equip the Police Scanner resource.

•Stoner Hawk:
o If Stoner Hawk causes enough damage to knock his target down with Rumble AND the target is also Incapacitated/Eliminated from the damage, the effect of knocking down all other models in the area still DOES apply.

Unaligned Hero-Villains

• Vector:
o Pixels may be reassigned by Vector at the start of the turn from any distance away to within 6 inches of Vector.
o When first creating a pixel, mark on the pixel card whether it will be a "friendly" or "enemy" pixel, corresponding to whether it is attached to a friendly or enemy model. Friendly pixels may only ever be reassigned to friendly models and vice-versa.
o Digital Blaster* may be combined with any number of additional Digital Blasters* (exception to the two actions combined limit) OR one Digital Blaster* may be combined with one other action.

•Kitty Cheshire:
o Kitty may add her current Blitzer skill to Somersault movement action.

Unaligned Villains

•Sister Bedlam:
o When targeting a model effected by Bleeding, opposed rolls that normally cause no damage that target the model cause aftershocks regardless of the success of the opposed roll i.e. the minion skill Target Aquired.

• Seabolt:
o Seabolt may combine a second movement action with Go with the Flow as normal i.e. Move*GWTF, Get up*GWTF, GWTF*Move.

The Coven

• Twighlight:
o When Twighlight uses Shadow Theft, make an opposed roll against every model within SBL2 inches and cause damage as normal. Then make an opposed roll against all enemy models within her current :AGL range carrying a weapon and/or device and apply the additional effects but no damage. This may cause some models to face 2 opposed rolls.
o Lurk offers no protection against actions which are not ranged combat actions i.e. Lurk protects against PR, BL, SBL, R and AU.
o Ignore the 4 after the Blink skill.

The Forgotten

• Boreas:
o When performing Gale against a model as the initial target, the first opposed roll causes no damage, damage is only caused by any subsequent collision. Gale initially targeted against a model, as opposed to a scenery item, is not a ranged combat action and therefore does not suffer from any modifiers such as in-cover, any abilities which interrupt ranged combat actions such as Lurk and does not need line of sight to the target.

Necroplane

• Supreme Zed:
o When marking damage, you may only mark damage on the bottom row of boxes once the top row is completely filled in.

• Sanguine (day):
o Bloodarang “resets” each time you choose a new target, with the new target becoming the “original target” referred to in the skill description. i.e. Damage the first target chosen, choose a closer target and make an opposed roll, if the roll causes damage you may choose another even closer target and repeat, if the roll does not cause damage the action is complete.

• Sanguine (Night):
o A model Incapacitated by Fangs may not be “immediately” activated by Sanguine and no further AP may be spent on the action.

The Ulthar

• Gemini X:
o The Perilous Pillar can not be moved once it is created.

House Rules:

- Jump*: costs only 1AP as opposed to 2AP, and you may choose either half :STR or half :AGL for the distance jumped. Supremes with Armoured must minus half their :DEF from the distance jumped.
- Scenery: items of rank 1 or 2 may be moved over by any movement action by reducing the distance moved by a number of inches equal to the item’s rank.
- Hold*: a Supreme using the Hold* universal action does not need to declare which action will be held, instead they may choose to perform any action available to them as an interrupt to an enemy Supreme’s movement action (declaration/enacting/completion). Write on their card that they are currently on Hold. They lose Hold in the normal way (activating/being knocked down/round ends)
- Citizens: Any model capable of becoming burdened may become burdened with a citizen by moving into contact with them, remove the citizen and place them on the model's card. If a model burdened with a citizen is knocked down or takes damage higher than their current :DEF the citizen is considered eliminated. The citizen may be “dropped” at any point in base contact with the burdened model.
- Plots & Agendas: When deploying models and/or agenda building/counters/areas, no model may start the first turn closer than 6inches to a friendly agenda building/counter/area. The exception to this is any model deploying outside of their own deployment zone, which may not start the first turn in base to base contact with a friendly agenda building/token/area OR plot building/counter. Citizens deployed via the citizen clock are exempt from this rule.

Feel free to discuss/disagree/agree/add as posts and I'll endeavor to check regularly :)

Latest Update 18 Jan 2012

Last edited by baskinders on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:04 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
I love this and why I love this game...the fans continue to impress.

I'm more than able to host something like a living FAQ that's searchable on my server, but, I know little to nothing about databases and SQL. So, if someone had to skills to make a searchable database, I could host it.

Great work!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:41 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
I like the compliled FAQ, but what really interests me here is the idea of models carrying citizens... I may have to try that myself in a game!

Very nice work!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:38 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
This is such a great idea.
Will be keeping an eye on it and add anything we find that comes up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:27 pm
cardboardvampire wrote:
I like the compliled FAQ, but what really interests me here is the idea of models carrying citizens... I may have to try that myself in a game!

Very nice work!

Cheers mate. It's one of those classic superhero things, grab the citizen out of harms way. That and the last few games we've had we've ended up with a citizen on a roof of a very tall building with no way for them to interact with the game! :)

Yeah Varagon, I'm no good with databases either mate?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:31 am
Updated original post and Skydoc.

Added a house rule on Agendas/Plot tokens and some character specific clarifications

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:22 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
baskinders wrote:
cardboardvampire wrote:

Very nice work!

Cheers mate. It's one of those classic superhero things, grab the citizen out of harms way. That and the last few games we've had we've ended up with a citizen on a roof of a very tall building with no way for them to interact with the game! :)

Yeah Varagon, I'm no good with databases either mate?

Anyone have any experience with Wikis? I can host it and moderate it, I just don't have the administration experience. It's not hard to install, but getting the details like colors, headers, etc, I've no experience. A Pulp City Wiki would ROCK!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM