<  Law & Order in Pulp City  ~  First game, many questions

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:48 am
MortalPosts: 33Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 am
Finally got the group convinced to play, unfortunately old habits are hard to break and one player is a min-maxer and always looking to break the mechanic in his favor.

so a few things that came up:

1 - A villain used a RAY attack. the heroes were in a "V" formation. the point of the "V" was the target, and the furthest away, but the ray drawn from the villain base touched the base of the other two heroes at the top of the "V". would the closer heroes get damaged? how would this get resolved?

2 - A villain and a hero were in base to base. the villain wanted to move, but not leave base to base, essentially go from a 12 o clock position to a 6 o clock position to obscure himself from another heroes range attack? technically he didnt leave base to base so is there a free strike?

cant remember the other questions right now but will add them if i remember.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:01 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Mecha_Buddha wrote:
Finally got the group convinced to play, unfortunately old habits are hard to break and one player is a min-maxer and always looking to break the mechanic in his favor.

so a few things that came up:

1 - A villain used a RAY attack. the heroes were in a "V" formation. the point of the "V" was the target, and the furthest away, but the ray drawn from the villain base touched the base of the other two heroes at the top of the "V". would the closer heroes get damaged? how would this get resolved?

Rays are described as powerful bursts of energy. Draw a line as wide as the attacker's base and stop at the max range of the ray. Make an opposed roll against all models in the area, starting with the closest.
Pg 36

Mecha_Buddha wrote:
2 - A villain and a hero were in base to base. the villain wanted to move, but not leave base to base, essentially go from a 12 o clock position to a 6 o clock position to obscure himself from another heroes range attack? technically he didnt leave base to base so is there a free strike?

cant remember the other questions right now but will add them if i remember.

Yes, you can freely rotate around a base to get better positioning. B2B is just a condition of being against an enemy or friendly model's base, nothing else. The B2B condition doesn't stipulate that you can't move. The only thing you need to worry about is when you try to move out of the B2B condition.
Pg 39

Hope that helps.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:19 pm
I guess the question with RAY is can the player simply line up his RAY "template/base width" to hit as many models as possible , or does the player have to specifically target one model first and the ray hits other models as it keeps going?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:01 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Mecha_Buddha wrote:
I guess the question with RAY is can the player simply line up his RAY "template/base width" to hit as many models as possible , or does the player have to specifically target one model first and the ray hits other models as it keeps going?

I'll go back and double check, but I believe you just lay the "template" out where you want it to go. If not, I missed it in the rules that you have to center your ray up with a target.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:17 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Yes you can pretty much lay out the Ray how you'd like. They are Super Heroes after all! Ray attacks are very powerful but usually short ranged and costly in terms of AP. Thus if you can pull off hitting 3 models you're doing very well. I think I managed to do this only once in all the games I've played. I can get a Ray to hit 2 models pretty regularly but 3 just never happens with an opponent who's paying attention.

On a side note if the Ray hits multiple targets you can only Trump against one target. Likewise you can only Power Up against one target. You also must make a separate Opposed Rolls vs. each target. Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:41 pm
More questions I remembered.

3 - Can a trump roll have a power up added to it? this would cost only one AP?

4 - Chronin power question. Rewind, once activated this can be used at any time in the round? but at the beginning of a new round, if Chronin does not activate first the power cannot simply be used out of turn?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Mecha_Buddha wrote:
More questions I remembered.

3 - Can a trump roll have a power up added to it? this would cost only one AP?

It can; decide before rolling at the extra 1 AP you mentioned. Trumping the roll costs no AP.

Quote:
4 - Chronin power question. Rewind, once activated this can be used at any time in the round? but at the beginning of a new round, if Chronin does not activate first the power cannot simply be used out of turn?

She has to Activate to use the Action, it cannot be used 'out of Turn'. Most Actions cannot be used out of sequence (although there are some notable exceptions!).

Baically make sure you have a good :MND Trump available for Starting Rolls!

Hope that helps.