<  Law & Order in Pulp City  ~  AP Limit on Minions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:47 am
MortalPosts: 33Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 am
Looking through the rule book I didnt see anything, but is there an AP limit on minions based on level?

even 2 moves and a one shot from hired guns would be 4AP.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:06 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
As far as I know you can "spend" Action Points as desired on your Minions (within the restrictions/guidelines given on pages 60 to 62 of the Pulp City Guide).

A quick point though - in the current Pulp City Guide, page 62 - Gun Shots cost 1AP from a Minion.

So two Move actions and a Gun Shot would cost 3AP not 4AP.

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:46 am
MortalPosts: 33Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 am
Well I see no limit on AP a minion can spend and that is an issue, because it could be a loophole for using up extra AP.

If you had Trail on a team and all the supremes took non-exclusive minions, they could make a firing line and pour AP into it. this basically happened in a game.

with the Boom rules you could make a few LVL 2 blaster minions, with firepower, long range and skilled.

this gives them the ability to move 2 times, shoot 2 times and stirke 2 times. if you buy up the ENG stat it would be as good as a LVL 1 supreme, just no trump role.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:04 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
Mecha_Buddha wrote:
Well I see no limit on AP a minion can spend and that is an issue, because it could be a loophole for using up extra AP.

If you had Trail on a team and all the supremes took non-exclusive minions, they could make a firing line and pour AP into it. this basically happened in a game.

with the Boom rules you could make a few LVL 2 blaster minions, with firepower, long range and skilled.

this gives them the ability to move 2 times, shoot 2 times and stirke 2 times. if you buy up the ENG stat it would be as good as a LVL 1 supreme, just no trump role.

I gotta try that out! (If only to be the Villians fight against it!)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:16 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
A bog standard Minion can only perform three Actions, 2 Move and 1 Combat Action either a Strike if in Base to Base or a Gun Shot - as you cannot perform the same Action twice.

As for the firing line, thats part of the game as it were - if you take a Tough enough level two (Hellsmith or Iron Train for example) your opponent isn't going to be able to take him out easily with a load of minions, he's going to waste all his AP's on taking your big gun out - leaving him with little or no AP's for the rest of his Team.

While you have the luxury of time with your remaining Team members and AP's to spend.

I'll have to look into the BOOM thing, Leon will no better than me (I don't 'BOOM' much LoL)

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:39 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Mecha_Buddha wrote:

Yes, no AP limit. :)

Quote:

Not quite; a Minion requires :STR to be able to Strike, Blasters have :ENG , so only 2 Shoot Actions, with no Trump or Power Up.

You could make a gunline, but if you did that to me in one game, I think you would quickly see a Team of :AGL Trumps or other good countermeasures; a number of Supremes could do exactly that in different ways, and that BOOM firing line could easily be out-sniped by any of Vector, Gentleman, Virgo or Xyllian. If you are only playing Smackdown then that is one thing, but other Plots are mostly predicated on grabbing/acheiving objectives with Supremes.

Is it a tournament winner? I think not, especially using Plots etc,but who knows without trying it?

The main point I see is whether those AP dumped into those Minions are actually cost effective?

To maximise efficiency of the AP you need 2 not 1 Minion per card, so with the set-up above :ENG 4 and :DEF 3 with 3 Damage.

With a threat range of 12" at AP 2 that is pretty good for 2 shots. Likely 4-6 AP per Turn to be used effectively.

Now consider this - looking at your Supreme AP Allowance and Actions, that is a whole Supreme pretty much not Activating per Turn; which is going to be more effective? My argument would be the Supreme backed up with Trump Rolls and Power-ups, but your mileage may vary.

Add in that those Minions are fragile; that fragility can be exploited by your opponent - instead of taking out one whole Minion card at a time, I would target one model per card to begin with, spreading your opponent's need for Command and halving the cost effectiveness pretty easily (if a Supremes cannot take one of these guys down with a single attack, something is not quite right.

Of course it also depends on your supreme set-up as well. The obvious thing is to make the Minions Mechanical, so a Cyberhead can circumvent the Command range issue, but the Minions themselves and the strategy only makes sense in context of the Team of Supremes they accompany.