<  Law & Order in Pulp City  ~  New Player rules question

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:52 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 16Location: PrestonJoined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:04 pm
Hi everyone, i've recently started playing Pulp City (2 games at the weekend!) and have a few questions about some of the rules interactions.

1 - I'm not sure how flight works - if a model is flying, how high can they fly? do they have a maximum cap of say 9 inches (the run move) or can they fly higher each activation? just wondering with regards to landing on tall buildings, etc. also how does this interact with ranged weapons - can an emey supreme still hit a flying model if they are considered to flying outside of the maximum range - vertically, not horizontally.

2 - Are citizens placed in scenarios when they are not needed for the plot/agenda?

3 - How many actions can a supreme complete in one activation - is it capped at 3? 2 movement actions and one universal/exclusive action - and once the 2 movement actions have been used, they cannot move for the rest of the gameround so can only use 1 universal/exclusive action an activation from then on?

4 - Can a supreme pick up a terrain piece - such as a lampost, trashcan etc and use it as a weapon, rather than simpy throwing it? how would this modify the power of their attacks etc?

sorry for the questions, i love the game and think the rules work very well (the new pdf is a lot clearer than the game guide on the webpage) but i just want to make sure i'm doing everything the right way!

thanks for the help

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:25 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Welcome to the forums and to Pulp City. No need to appologize for asking questions. That, and the socializing, are what these forums are for.

Now, onto your questions...

GreyLamb wrote:
1 - I'm not sure how flight works - if a model is flying, how high can they fly? do they have a maximum cap of say 9 inches (the run move) or can they fly higher each activation? just wondering with regards to landing on tall buildings, etc. also how does this interact with ranged weapons - can an emey supreme still hit a flying model if they are considered to flying outside of the maximum range - vertically, not horizontally.

In Pulp City, flight is highly abstracted. When flying, the number of flight counters is used to represent how fast/agile the flyer is for the purposes of combat, but flight doesn't actually have a real altitude. If you're flying and you're 4 inches away (horizontally) from a building, you can still move to the top of the building, regardless of it's height. Movement in most cases is measured purely horizontally.

GreyLamb wrote:
2 - Are citizens placed in scenarios when they are not needed for the plot/agenda?

They probably should be, yes. First, if your agendas are secret, having citizens placed on the table will mean your opponent won't know if you need them or not. If you only place them when you specifically need them, it'll be clear that they're related to the agenda. Second, they're fun! Who doesn't love hurling cars at unarmed and defenseless civilians?

GreyLamb wrote:
3 - How many actions can a supreme complete in one activation - is it capped at 3? 2 movement actions and one universal/exclusive action - and once the 2 movement actions have been used, they cannot move for the rest of the gameround so can only use 1 universal/exclusive action an activation from then on?

It's worth breaking it down further for clarity. There's an activation and a game round. In a single game round, a supreme can activate as many times as it likes, assuming sufficient points to pay for the actions.

In a single activation, a model can do a single action. If that activation is a combined action (noted by the *), it may add an additional combined or not combined action. There are exceptions, like Chronin who can combine multiple actions, but in those cases, it'll be explicitly called out.

GreyLamb wrote:
4 - Can a supreme pick up a terrain piece - such as a lampost, trashcan etc and use it as a weapon, rather than simpy throwing it? how would this modify the power of their attacks etc?

A supreme with trump :STR can pick up an object like a lamp post and use it as a melee weapon. It adds additional damage and reach. Check out the rulebook's section on manipulating scenery for more details.

GreyLamb wrote:
sorry for the questions, i love the game and think the rules work very well (the new pdf is a lot clearer than the game guide on the webpage) but i just want to make sure i'm doing everything the right way!

thanks for the help

:) Once again, welcome and feel free to ask any questions you get. We're rather friendly here...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:42 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 16Location: PrestonJoined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:04 pm
thanks for the answers, just for some further clarification

cardboardvampire wrote:
If you're flying and you're 4 inches away (horizontally) from a building, you can still move to the top of the building, regardless of it's height. Movement in most cases is measured purely horizontally.

does this mean that regardless of height (i.e on top of a building or "up up and away"), a supreme can be hit by a ranged weapon as long as they are within horizontal distance?
the reason i'm trying to clarify this is to prevent a supreme, who is the target of the Agenda for example, just flying out of rang in the movement phase and being untouchable for the rest of the game lol

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:55 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
GreyLamb wrote:
does this mean that regardless of height (i.e on top of a building or "up up and away"), a supreme can be hit by a ranged weapon as long as they are within horizontal distance?
the reason i'm trying to clarify this is to prevent a supreme, who is the target of the Agenda for example, just flying out of rang in the movement phase and being untouchable for the rest of the game lol

There's a difference between height from flight (ie: Up up and away) and height as in being on top of a building.

When you aim at someone flying, the range of the attack must be equal to or greater than *both*:

A) The horizontal distance between attacker and target
B) The number of flight counters on the target

For example, Ace of Wraiths is 3 inches away from Boreas who has 5 flight counters and is using a range 4 attack. Ace would have range if Boreas wasn't flying because the range of 4 is greater than the distance of 3. That said, because Boreas is flying with 5 flight counters, Ace's range would need to be 5 in order to compensate for the flight.

Now, as for shooting at someone on a building, my brain just went blank and I don't have my rules handy so either someone else can answer that or I'll just respond tonight when I have a chance to check my rules.

Update: While I couldn't check the rules, a quick browse through the rules forum confirmed what I though. A model shooting measures only horizonally. This means that if a model is 10 inches up on a rooftop, but the horizontal distance is only 4 inches, then an attack of range 4 would be enough to hit.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:11 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Just think if flight as instead of how high, but as "agility".

The more tokens, the harder it is to hit. The flying supreme could be buzzing along the ground or speeding in between cars and through alleways, not necessarily way up in the sky.

So, essentially, the tokens are to show the maneuverability of a supreme, not it's height.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:47 pm
MortalPosts: 13Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:22 pm
Hi there,

new to the game and like it very much so far. But I'm kinda confused by the flight rules anyway.

I found that the rules are vague for some reasons.

1) the example p. 30 declares, that Mourn (Flight 3) places 2 Flight Counters after his Move*-action. Is it correct, that 1 FC lasted on the card, because otherwise he may place 3 FC. That leads me to the next question:

2) up, up and away* doesn't count as a movement - so no FCounters must be placed. up, up and away* does respectively not count towards the 2 movement actions per round?

3) the example p. 31 says, that the supreme with more flight counters benefits from a +1 bonus against another flying supreme. Did the rules declare that on any other text passage?

4) this is no flight question. the rulebook declares nothing about combining 2 movement actions (run and move) - as the old pdfrules did - for only 2 AP instead of 3. how do you handle that? do you combine both "rulebooks"?

Sorry again if the questions sound a little bit foolish.

Greetings from Germany!

goya

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:18 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Welcome to Pulp City Goya!! Nice to have you here.

1) While Up, Up and Away, you can place as many flight tokens as you want on your model up to your maximum, each time you move. This includes when you first use Up, Up and Away. Thus it is very easy to add or subtract tokens on a flying model.

2) Correct Up, Up, and Away isn't a Movement. Thus you can combine Up, Up, and Away with a Run or Move Action. It is an exception as you do get to place Flight Tokens when you use it. You are also subject to Free Strikes if you try and fly out of combat however. Just something to keep in mind.

3) This is correct. Any model with more flight tokens gains a +1. Thus Boreas is very dangerous to other flying models.

4) Correct the new rules are much easier to understand than the old version. A Run is both Movements and gains you an additonal inch of movement, for a total of 9 plus Blitzer x 2, and costs you 2 AP. Or you can simply Move* up to two times a round at 4" + Blitzer, and a cost of 1 AP each time.

Hope that helps and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Welcome again!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:54 pm
MortalPosts: 13Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:22 pm
Thanks a lot! So far, this is a great game. Hopefully there will be more fans soon. Soon i'll post some pics of my miniatures too.

Offline Profile