<  Law & Order in Pulp City  ~  Rules concerning skills

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:52 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 148Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:46 pm
I'm reserving this thread for any question exclusively concerning the explanation of skills...

I begin with this one:

When may a player utilize Power for Price? Must this be announced before a roll as well as the amount of the boost, or may it be announced or quantified after the roll?

For example, Hellsmith is attacking an opposing hero with a strike. He wants to use Power for Price (1) to add 1 to the roll, must he announce it before rolling? Similarly, if he had Power for Price (2) would he have to announce whether he wished to take 1 or 2 damage for the attack or could he simply acknowledge use of Power for Price and decide how much to use after the roll?
:?:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:58 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
We have always played it as a before the roll situation. I think that to do otherwise would be unbalanced and perhaps even overpowered. Just as power up or some of the other trump traits work you must declare your intentions ahead of time. Combat is always a risk. I can't tell you how many times I've seen characters power up and charge a weaker model only to have the weaker model roll a 6 and escape unharmed. You can stack the odds in your favor but it all comes down to dice sometimes.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:12 pm
User avatarMachinePosts: 141Location: Pulp City TeamJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:57 pm
Corporate_Sellout wrote:
When may a player utilize Power for Price? Must this be announced before a roll as well as the amount of the boost, or may it be announced or quantified after the roll?

For example, Hellsmith is attacking an opposing hero with a strike. He wants to use Power for Price (1) to add 1 to the roll, must he announce it before rolling? Similarly, if he had Power for Price (2) would he have to announce whether he wished to take 1 or 2 damage for the attack or could he simply acknowledge use of Power for Price and decide how much to use after the roll?
:?:

you have to declare everything before the roll

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:08 pm
Flying perplexes me and I realize this has already been thoroughly discussed, but as questions resurfaced again it returns to the forefront of conversation... for me at least.

We've been under the impression that a flying stat implies a height at which the supreme is flying, however it was difficult to determine what that height would be. So in a recent game we designated buildings to be at specific heights that flying level X and under could reach the tops of. Is this proper, or is it restricted to a concrete measurement (such as flying stat in inches, in which case no building top is reachable as 3" tall buildings look off scale compared to the minis)?

We also discussed that perhaps the flying stat was only a flying skill stat implying their ability to dodge in mid air and thus the difficulty to hit them while flying. In this case the flying model would be able to reach any rooftop despite the distance, and would only use the flying stat to determine how attacks effect them and the effects of falling. In this instance, since vertical distance is irrelevant, we thought it might be prudent to make measurements for attacks purely horizontally in only two dimensions.

Something to consider.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:00 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
We've played flying as you describe in you last paragraph. If you want to fly over or on top of buildings that fine. We do all measurement to flying models as horizontal. Flight level is simply an abstract measure of the models relative height. Lvl 1 is near the ground, lvl 2 or 3 is low altitude but out of melee range. It's reasonable to assume that if you had a very tall piece of scenery in play you could declare that only flight lvl of X can reach the top. Other than that I wouldn't get too hung up on the specifics.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:58 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
We've played flying as you describe in you last paragraph. If you want to fly over or on top of buildings that fine. We do all measurement to flying models as horizontal. Flight level is simply an abstract measure of the models relative height. Lvl 1 is near the ground, lvl 2 or 3 is low altitude but out of melee range. It's reasonable to assume that if you had a very tall piece of scenery in play you could declare that only flight lvl of X can reach the top. Other than that I wouldn't get too hung up on the specifics.

That's my favorite interpretation as well. I think it maintains simplicity without nerfing anything incredibly. I hope this remains the case. :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:56 am
Us playtesters argued this one for a while. Larkin Vain was the one who proposed this interpretation of the rules and Morf gave it a thumbs up. That being the case... I'd call it as official as it's likely to get until the actual rulebook is released.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:44 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
That is how we have been playing it too. Do everything in two-dimentions while maintaining that the flight skill and flight counters do not reflect an actual height. For example Harrier has an exclusive action that lets her climb to a safe altitude while Red Baron has a drastically higher flight skill but can not do this. It can also be helpful to think about the flight skill and counters sort of like like "flight speed". The higher the model's flight speed the more damage the model would take if it crashes.

I think that models with 2 or 3 flight counter basically can not be attacked in melee, even if the attacker is elevated. The flying model is most likely zooming by so fast that there would be only a split second where melee could occur. This would be easy for a supreme flyer to avoid.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:12 pm
How does this format interact with jump rules? Is there a way to jump and attack models that are flying at a low level? Can models attack flying opponents from elevation?... I recall hearing of a battle in which a supreme jumped from a rooftop to tackle a flying supreme; is this possible?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:45 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Yup, flying is abstract and used for determining the ranges and flight superiority.
Yes, you can jump and attack a flying Supreme. That is if your vertical jump is equal or more to the current flight counter. You can't just attack from the elevation since the flyer is still considered a number of counters away from you, to represent the fact of dynamic flight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:48 pm
So, what is the benefit of being at a higher elevation such as is attained by wallcrawlers who scale a building to its summit?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:53 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Wall Crawlers have a distinct advantage...they can be on a building that is five inches high, where a flyer can be at counter level 3... The wall crawler on top of the building can't be touched by non flying non wall crawling supremes unless they have a range of 5+, and not many have 5+ stats or ranges.

I think we're on a good discussion and continue posing the problems and solutions available.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM