<  Law & Order in Pulp City  ~  Minions: When and How

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:45 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 148Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:46 pm
First, how are minions placed at the beginning of the game? Is a group of three minions (such as hired guns) placed individually or as a group? Must an exclusive minion be placed with the supreme to which they belong? Do the minions have to be placed near a supreme who has the resource points to buy them?

The command action is used to activate the minions. The cost of actions are 1 to move an entire unit (such as all three hired guns) and/or the cost of each individual action exclusive to the minion (such as the hired gun's shoot actions costing 1 each or 3 total). Thus commanding each hired gun to move and attack would cost 4 AP, correct?

Similarly, am I correct in assuming that the command action can only be used once by each supreme? In such a case, for instance, Gentleman surrounded by two units of hired guns would only be able to activate one unit of 3 per turn and only as long as they are within his SPR range of 2". Would I need another supreme nearby to activate the second unit of hired guns then or could Gentleman then command the other unit on the next activation?

Finally, can the command action be combined with a move action or other * action? This would allow a supreme to issue a minion(s) to move while also spending the 1 AP to move themselves. Could they then command a unit to move and attack while moving on the same turn considering that the command action is still only one action by the supreme although costing more for the more complex command?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:52 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
My understanding is A) you can command units as often as you like. Note that you can't have more than 1 group of Hired Guns so you'll never be surrounded by them. B) No if you command you cannot move or perform other actions, all actions are performed by the minions. C) You can place Minions just like any other model at the start of the game. Clearly you would need to have them close to a model than can command them though. Also exclusive minions can only be commanded by their owners so they will naturally be placed close together.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:56 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
My understanding is that you can command units as often as you like. Note that you can't have more than 1 group of Hired Guns so you'll never be surrounded by them.

Okay, so assume it is a unit of hired guns and a group of corrupted cops. You would claim that the villain can command the hired guns one turn, and then next turn command the corrupted cops as well? Does the status of command as a universal action not restrict it to once per game round?

Beermonkey wrote:
You can place Minions just like any other model at the start of the game.

Does this mean one at a time. If so, would that allow a player who has taken numerous minion resources to place all their minions early and consequently be able to place their supremes after all of their opponents pieces have been placed?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:11 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 287Location: St. Louis, MOJoined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 pm
I would assume one command per number of minion models on the resource card. ie, zombie wolf is 1 and sentry bots are 2? (I don't recall their particular number and don't have the stats in front of me...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:18 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 23Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USAJoined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:37 pm
This thread (here) answers some questions on how minions are commanded. At least, I assume the answers Morf gave me are still valid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:54 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Morf's answers to Saultydog are helpful. Given this information I would say you are correct in assuming that only ONE command can be given in a round. The suprme that comands is activated but does nothing other than issue the command. Minions that are of the same card AND in double spirit range can then move/strike/shot or whatever. As for placement place the card as a unit. So put down all three gunman as one unit.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:55 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
I would personally play it that way : place the 3 minions at the same time, but individually. But that's just me.

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:40 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
John's right.
Also, commands follow regular Action pattern.
So, you may command Minions to Move* and Shoot in the same activation.
Or, move yourself and command.

As long as any of these is combineable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 287Location: St. Louis, MOJoined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 pm
so if a supreme commands a move* it effectively uses its own move* action? That doesn't seem right.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:32 pm
MortalPosts: 20Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:28 pm
I think what Morf said was that you can combine a Move* action for your supreme with a command action for the minion(s).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:53 pm
Since command is a universal action, a supreme can combine it with a move action regardless of what the command entails. Thus, if I'm correct, a supreme may combine move* with command which will subsequently activate the minions to carry out the command. However, may a supreme combine their move* with a command that is comprised of two actions (such as commanding a minions to move and attack) as long as the AP price is paid since command is still a single action?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:55 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
At this point "no" - unless she is Chronin who has the team power to perform any number of Actions, but I am seriously considering that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:11 pm
let me further my point that this ruling would further discourage the taking of minions. As we have been playing it here, commanding a minion was an action that one could have with most * actions. For instance, you could Move* and then command. The minions commanded would then pay their action point cost and take their action right after the Supreme's activation ended. The supreme was prevented from using any other powers and might have hung themselves out to dry against the opposing team.

With this ruling, the supreme commands the minions and if his command includes a Move*, he is left behind AND not doing anything. I will try to come up with a suggested fix for this, if you don't mind.