<  Law & Order in Pulp City  ~  Beginner questions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:23 pm
MortalPosts: 21Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:18 am
Hi all,

i am new to the game and just got my starter pack. We will start our first game today.
Before we start i have a short question regarding the run action.
Am i right that the run action costs 2 points and includes the move action? Meaning i can move up to 8 inches and still combine it with another action?

Looking forward to the game later on and will be back here if any new question will come up (which surely will happen :wink: )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:22 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 287Location: St. Louis, MOJoined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 pm
Schlunz wrote:
Hi all,

i am new to the game and just got my starter pack. We will start our first game today.
Before we start i have a short question regarding the run action.
Am i right that the run action costs 2 points and includes the move action? Meaning i can move up to 8 inches and still combine it with another action?

Looking forward to the game later on and will be back here if any new question will come up (which surely will happen :wink: )

No, run is a 4" move that costs 2AP. You can combine Run* and Move* for a cost of 2AP (you get the Move* for free essentially), but since you are only allowed 2 movement actions a game round, that model will not be going anywhere else on subsequent activations that game round.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:50 am
Hell, well Pulp City is a really amazing game. We had lots of fun in our first test game :D

And some new questions came up.

1.) Hoodoos Mojo: What ist the Spirit symnol for? Do i have to make any roll? Or does it determine a range?

2.) If i power up an attack and use a trump reroll, am i allowed to reroll any of the 3 dices? Or do i have to use different color dices and only re-roll the strength roll?

3.) If i attack using a trump trait. Do i have to decide if i use the re-roll before the defender even rolls his defense? Or do both roll and then the attacker has to decide first if he re-roll and after that the defender decides (if possible)

4.) Is Hellsmith a "Forgotten"? Just curious cause something like taht can be found in the description of his hammer.

5.) Leader: What does starting score mean? A bonus on the starting rill in game game?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:26 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Welcome Schlunz!
Really great to see new faces on the board.

1) Only important if for some reason you can't use Spirit abilities or something. Doesn't really do anything.

2) Just the Strength die can be re-rolled. Also note that if you roll a 5 and the defender gets a 6 he wins. The extra power up dice don't effect automatic success. This came up last week when twice I rolled a 5 and double 6s on the power up, only to lose to an automatic success. :roll:

3) Both of you roll, then the attacker declares Trump or not. Then the defender can trump.

4) Yes eh is. Under the characters name on the card you'll see what team they are a part of.

5) Yup you got it right. Also adds that extra AP to the action pool which does help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:39 am
Thanks for the fast replys. That really helped :D

Quote:
4) Yes eh is. Under the characters name on the card you'll see what team they are a part of.

Mhh, maybe i do not have the actual card then? It s not mentioned under his name on our card. Are there actual cards for download and print somewhere?

EDIT:
to question no. 3 from above. Does the defender has to decide if he uses a trump re-roll before the attacker rolls his trump re-roll or after that?

And another question:
When damaging buildings. Do building also roll a d6 and add their defense? Or is i.e. the 8 of steel and glass the final number i have to beat with my attack? If its an opposed roll than it looks like its nearly impossible to bring down a building due to the damn high shield atrributes?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:29 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
The attacker decides to reroll with trump trait first, then the defender decides. On page 11, "The attacker always has to decide first if he wants to use the re-roll."

Buildings do not roll a d6. Their defensive value is fixed based on the material.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:31 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 11Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:56 am
I´m Schlunzen´s gamepal and i can only agree, we had great time.

Quote:
the starting rill in game game?
What the hell are you talking about? :lol: :wink:

4) On some printable cards i found it reads under Der Höllenschmieds name that he is part of the forgotten, so this might be an error.

Another questions was if it was legal for me to use Hellsmith Throw action to take a car behind him in base contact and put it upright before him as a shield? Schlunz took a picture he might share. The question arose since i haven´t really thrown the car, but just moved it from one side of the base to the other.

Quote:
The attacker decides to reroll with trump trait first, then the defender decides.
But can the defender wait for the result of the reroll, before he himself decides to use his trump reroll?
Is it
a)
attacker decides, attacker rerolls
defender decides, defender rerolls
or
b)
attacker decides
defender decides
both reroll

Last edited by southheaven on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:35 pm
Yep, looks like the hellsmith card in your starter was an old one and the forgotten was added later on. But i guess no reason to print a new card... sure we ll be able to remember that one with our little brains :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:05 pm

One question was: is it legal to use the throw trumo in this way and not throwing a car but picking it up and "throw" it right in front of the own base to have a nice barrier?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:01 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
My opinion on it would be no, but I know Morf and the guys really intend the terrain to be interactive, and I'm sure he'll come along and say, "Yeah, that's a great idea!"

There isn't a lot of information on placing terrain when it's thrown, pushed, or moved, so at this time the letter of the rules allow it.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:45 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Schlunz wrote:
One question was: is it legal to use the throw trump in this way and not throwing a car but picking it up and "throw" it right in front of the own base to have a nice barrier?

The rules don't say anything, but common sense would say yes, so I say go for it, and come back to us with feedback. And then also, why not try carrying the car as a giant shield?

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:35 am
Yep, we agreed that it should be legal cause the rules do not say anything else. And using the car that way always comes at a price. First of all the "thrower" blocks his own LoS too and second it does cost a bunch of AP all the time. So we will try it this way for now :D
And besides...it´s just cool to use a car as a giant barrier 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:09 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 11Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:56 am
In todays game* some new questions arose:

Falling
1a) Can you fall into base to base with another miniature? After Twilights Blink didn´t reach, she fell and landed into base to base with another minature and used her shadow fangs. After that we played it, that supremes combined their jump with a strike, where the jump wasn´t enough to reach, but due to falling the two got into contact.
1b) Does it count as a charge?
1c) How do you calculate Falling Damage?
Falling height 5", Miniature height 1,5"
I) since 5" > (1,5" x2) = Falling strength 5
II) 5" - (1,5 X 2) = Falling strength 2

Lurking
2a) Do ranged attacks that don´t need LoS still need to discover lurking supremes?
Hoodu wanted to curse my lurking Twilight, which stood above her on bridge.
2b)When exactly does lurking end? On the card you can clearly read the terms which supreme actions end the lurking state. What about getting hit or beeing discovered be another supreme? Hoodu discovered and cursed my lurking Twilight who got hit. Did Ace, who had a LoS and wanted to shoot at Twilight still need to make a discovery roll, or did Lurk end by Hoodus actions?

*that i won, due to the fact that a third of my die rolls ended up 6 :roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:55 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Hey Southheaven nice to see you're enjoying the game. I'll give you my take on the rules. As always others may correct me later but this should help for now.

Falling

Yes you can fall onto another model either on purpose or accident. Twilight is a great one for doing this. Use her blink to fall onto an opponent and knock them down then hit them with Shadow Fangs. Few things to remeber with this:

1) You can't combine a Fall with another action. So you can fall on a model but can't Shadow Fang them till next activation. This would also mean that No you can't count a fall as a charge.

2) If any damage is suffered by either model they are Knocked Down!

Damage from a fall is based on the height. So in your example the correct answer is Strength 5 hit. Also remeber that the automatic success rule is NOT in effect when resisting damage from a fall.

Lurking

Well first off I believe (sorry don't have the card here so double check this) Lurk only works against Energy based attacks, not Mind. So Hoodoo can curse all she wants and Lurk won't help. Otherwise I would say yes Lurk would work.. say against a Ray attack where Gentleman is not the primary target.

Lurk ends when the Lurking model ends it. Hitting a model with lurk DOES NOT end Lurk. So in your example even though Hoodoo had hit Gentleman, Ace would still need to make a seperate roll. In addition unless it states otherwise (don't believe it does) each seperate attack Ace attempts would require a new Mind vs. Agility roll to be successful. Also rember that even if the attacker can't see the lurking model it still has to pay the AP for the unsuccessful attack. Add all that up and Lurk is a damn nasty power. I recomend using Blood Rose to teleport Six Feet Under up close and just paste the sneaky little bugger. :evil:

Hope this helps. As always if my interpretation are off or someone has a better idea please speak up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:13 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 288Location: Sydney AustraliaJoined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 am
I played a game last night where ChimpChi walked off the edge of the building fell the 8 inches and landed next to Mourn and threw a strike.

I thought since Im a Wall Crawler I dont suffer damage and cannot be knocked down from Falling. Being a move that resulted in a "controlled" Fall (Wallcrawlers, Levitate and Flight) I thought I could combine it with anohter action?

So this is an illegal move for Wallcrawlers too?

It was pretty cool cinematic moment.

Offline Profile