<  Law & Order in Pulp City  ~  Flight and strike.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:34 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 288Location: Sydney AustraliaJoined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 am
Played a game with Harrier and Mourn involved. The Heroes agenda was to destroy a Villian's building.

There were a couple of things that came up:

Harrier was flying. She wanted to strike the building. Does she need to land before she can hit the building?

Harrier and Mourn (both flight 3 and at an altitude of 3) wanted to Strike each other, but the rule states that Supremes at an altitude of 0 or 1 may not be targeted by actions that require the B2B condition. I always thought that applied to non flight figures attempt to hit a flying supreme.

Can two flyers duke it out at an altitude of 2 or more?

As written I don't think they can.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:41 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 287Location: St. Louis, MOJoined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 pm
If they are at the same altitude they should be able to have some fisticuffs.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:26 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Instaruler "on" :

2 supremes in flight at the same altitude can fight each other as if they were on the ground, though no supreme has to roll in case he wants to break contact.
2 supremes in flight whose altitude level doesn't differ by more than one can fight each other as if they were on the ground, though no supreme has to roll in case he wants to break contact, and every roll gets a -2 malus.

If it works, I'm a genius. If not, I'm just a gamer. More seriously, this would allow dogfights with more fluidity than old fashioned man-to-man groundwar, and I thought that making combats possible even from 1 lvl of difference could represent what would surely happen in these situations : one supreme flying by, lading a couple of punches and flying away, rather than having to stick to his opponent til death do them part.

Even possible to decide that a supreme taking more damage than his level in a single strike would be forced to lose an altitude level, representing the "eat some macadam" part of the thing.

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:57 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
All else being equal, I'd keep it simple and add to the flight rule that models with the same number of flight counters may make melee attacks against each other. I tend to think about flight counters like "speed" and thus the flying models have to match "speed" to do hand-to-hand combat.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:09 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 288Location: Sydney AustraliaJoined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 am
IL that is how we played it. If you are at the same Altitude you may strike each other. I would probably remove the bonuse to Defense in this case as well.

The flight rules as written does not support this... so it will be interesting to hear the keeper of the rules response.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:27 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Point taken: yes, they can strike themselves - I'll put that in the rules.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:30 am
Morf wrote:
Point taken: yes, they can strike themselves - I'll put that in the rules.

Do they need to test to break contact?

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:44 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 287Location: St. Louis, MOJoined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 pm
My suggestion would be yes.

Models that are Up, Up, and Away at level 0 or 1 can be in base to base with models without flight. It should be pretty much the same while in the air. for instance, a flier at level 1 can be in base to base at 0 and at 2.

Thought?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:25 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
That could sound confusing. While at 2+ I would say they have to be at the same flight level.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:10 am
Thanks for the clarification Morf.

I agree that to keep it simple, Figures with flight have to be at the same altitude to strike each ohter while flying at an altitude of 2+.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:00 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Yes, they have to test for breaking.

My clarifications of the Flight skill have turned into the aerial combat one-page of the rulebook and it will stay this way with lots of examples and some nice gimmicks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:44 pm
Can an model "pushed back" while in flight be pushed back somehow to the ground? I just thought it would be cool...

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:13 pm
That sounds confusing. You can always do enough damage to force them to be Shot Down.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:54 am
Oh yeah, that would be better I guess. Anyway, that was just an idea.

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile