<  Resource Tactics  ~  Minions - Sidekick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:48 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Every resource point counts in this game and so you want to get the best possible value. That's not always easy when there's a wealth of options for custom minions. That said, you've got that really cool fig from some other company that you just want to use in Pulp City, so how can you make it more efficient?

Todays option is: Sidekick.

First off, this option is limited in that it can only be used with level 2 minions and only when it's a single model on the card. As the minion system is optimized for multiple minions per card, the limitation above is important to keep in mind.

Now comes the fun part, why should you take this option?

If you've read the thread on the use of the Solo upgrade, you'll see my thoughts on how minions are best used, but the short version is that I believe minions are best used supporting your supremes in combat. Range or melee, these minions are simply there to provide a few extra damage per round.

Sidekick is absolutely perfect for that. For one minion point, you change the minion into an exclusive minion, which means it can only be commanded by one supreme. That's bad, right? Not really, since you'll want to keep it close to it's commanding supreme anyway, where it'll do the most good. Best of all, whenever the minion is within 4 inches of it's commanding supreme, it gains +1 to ALL opposed rolls.

+1 on all rolls means that the minions attack stat ( :STR or :ENG ) is effectively 5, which is quite respectable. For a melee minion, toss in surprise stab and you've got a very solid :STR 8 attack before rolling a die. Even ranged attacks at :ENG 5 can do some good, especially if it's a blast or ray.

So how would you use a sidekick? The best way would be to keep the minion slightly behind your advancing supreme. Every time the supreme activates to attack, activate the minion as well for an additional attack.

A sidekick is an investment, both in terms of resource points and AP, but if it's used right, it's an extra :STR or :ENG 5 attack per round, and that's not something to ignore.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:08 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
I meant to comment when you first posted this, but really nice overview.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:13 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Agreed, good writeup! Now, to start looking into good options for buddies for my favorite figs... (Kid Nuke!)

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:43 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
I'm glad you guys found this useful.

Selecting the sidekick is always my favorite part... My current debate is, do you pair a melee with melee and ranged with ranged or are there advantages to mixing it up?

Offline Profile