<  Conventions, Shows & Tournaments  ~  First Ever PULP CITY TOURNAMENT AT GENCON 2010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:01 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Start Date & Time: 08/07/2010 02:00:00 PM
Duration: 4 hours

Teams: Each Player brings a Level 6 Team (2 Level 2 Supremes and 2 Level 1 Supremes with Resources assigned to them). Additionally, a Player may bring extra 1 Level 2 Supreme and 1 Level 1 Supreme (and their respective Resources) as a sideboard. A Player must decide before the tournament if his team represents Heroes or Villains. This may not change throughout the tournament.

Tournament: Each Player will play 3 Encounters. There will be 6 tables, each representing a different Plot. Tournament is played according to the rules found on Supreme cards and in the downloadable PDF at www.pulp-city.com with the exception of the new rules that are highlighted below. All doubts are settled by the Judges.
Players are randomly assigned to a table by the Judges. Upon finding out which plot will be played, players have 5 minutes to decide whether they will play with their basic team or they will decide to substitute one or two Supremes from the sideboard.
Both players roll a die, adding it to the Mind Trait of one of their Supremes (no Trump Rolls possible).
The winner of the roll may either: a/ choose the side of the deployment or b/decide his/her role in the plot (for instance if he/she wants to be On the Run or Intercepting).
Players proceed with standard setup and play.

Ending the Encounter:
The Encounter ends when the Plot conditions are fulfilled or when the 60 minutes have run out (in this case, finish the current Activation of a model). Agenda Points are calculated and reported to the Judge.
Winning the Tournament: Each Player scores 3 Victory Points for winning the Encounter and 1 Victory Point for the draw. At the end of the Encounter, calculate the Agenda Points and their difference between the winner and the loser. For instance, the Encounter ends with Mark scoring 6 AgP and Lucy scoring 2 AgP. Mark records +4 AgP and Lucy -4 AgP. The difference between AgP from all three Encounters is used to decide the winner of the entire tournament in case of two or more players having the same amount of Victory Points. If there is a tie in VP and AgP difference, the prizes are split amongst the Players.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:03 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
The new rules that will be used (you will find the quick summary on each table):

Power-Up Pool and new Power-Up Mechanics

New Trump Trait Roll

New Trump Trait Benefits

New Movement Rules (Move, Run, Charge, Flight)

You will find brief descriptions in the Road to Pulp City Topics.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:14 pm
The Plots, which again, will be described at each table, are as follows:

SMACKDOWN: As simple as it gets - take out the opposing force.

DESTROY or DEFEND: Three buildings... they better be not standing when the Encounter is over, unless you are the one defending. Bring on anything that enhances your sups with Ram Skill :twisted:

ESCAPE: One team is On the Run, one is Intercepting.

INVASION: It's raining zombies! Worry not about the opponent but about the (already dead) body count your team will have at the end of the Encounter.

QUEST: There is something valuable on the table. Get it!

TAKE AND HOLD: Who controls most of the city by the end of the Encounter?

Plots in italics are symmetric (same conditions for both sides apply). The other two are not - determine who is who randomly in case of Destroy or Defend; in case of Escape, winner of a :MND vs. :MND decides how the sides are chosen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:08 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 36Location: New Jersey, home of addiction.Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:45 pm
Hey Morf is this a change to the one the table top gamer guys are running? Because it says its an 8 encounter level.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:35 pm
HeraldPosts: 174Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm
This is the same tournament.

When I had to register the event, I used the guidelines posted some time ago here. After getting some insight on the new rules and Plots from Morf, he and I decided to change it.

A note on the Quest Plot:
An alien craft has crashed in the desert. Acquire the container with the strange element useful for the agendas of both Heroes and Villains.

(forgive my lack of writing skill)

I ask that everyone be prompt for the tournament as TTG is very tight on space for the events and I need to set up and tear down quickly.

For those who are assisting, I will be ready at 1:45 to start setting up the tables. Hopefully, the previous tournament/game is complete before then.

2:00pm - 2:10pm - Event tickets will be taken. Rolls for table will be made for each player at that time. Verify lists.
2:10pm - 2:15pm - Generics will be taken for folks that are no-shows. Roll for table. Verify lists.
2:15pm - 3:15pm - Round 1
3:20pm - 4:20pm - Round 2
4:25pm - 5:25pm - Round 3
5:25pm - 5:40pm - Awards
5:40pm - 6:00pm - Teardown

Hope this answers some questions.

There are still 2 available slots in the tournament according to the Gen Con registration site. If you want in, get there early!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:20 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 148Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:46 pm
...So.... How did it go?

I've been waiting to see Pulp City set up a tournament format; I really hope it went well.

Who won; Hellsmith or Iron Train? :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:56 pm
I don't remember who played what teams exactly, but here is a list of the six players who showed up:

Aaron Skrivanek (1st)
Chris Hoj (2nd)
Kyle Dalton (3rd)
Chris Dalton
Paul Jacobus
Andrew Wong

I know Aaron had Chimp Chi, Stoner Hawk and a metric ton of Minions.
Hoj ran an all A.R.C. team including Dr. Red, Apebot, virus and others.
Chris had an all Heavy Metal team (Lady Cyburn, Chronin, etc.).
Andrew had Father Oak, Kitty Cheshire, Boreas and some others.
Paul had Hellsmith and a number of Minions to Devour* along with some other Villains.
Kyle had a team consisting of Supreme Zed, Seabolt, Boreas, Sanquine(lvl 1), Sister Bedlam, Xenobi.

There was an award for best painted, which I believe went to Kyle Dalton, but don't quote me on that.

The tournament ran rather smoothly with the help of Beermonkey (Devon) and Morf, who I cannot thank enough! All the players seemed to have a pretty good idea of how the new rules worked and most questions were about the Plots themselves. Everyone seemed to have a good time playing.

The (zombie) Invasion Plot seemed to work really well as did the Destroy or Defend Plot.

I really appreciate all the players showing up for the tournament and being good sportsmen through the whole thing.

Perhaps some of the players will post some battle reports later.

Last edited by Totengraber on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:36 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 360Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm
Sounds great! I do hope there are some pics and reports coming....... :D

http://masheduppotato.blogspot.com/ my attempt to bring order to my chaos.....
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:32 am
HeraldPosts: 35Location: Lake Villa, ILJoined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:58 am
One quick fix Toten, Kyle Dalton(me) took 3rd but with a Villian team consisting of:

Supreme Zed
Seabolt
Boreas
Sanquine(lvl 1)
Sister Bedlam
Xenobi

Also, I had best painted not my brother haha.

Thanks a ton for everything at the con guys, I really appreciate the opportunity to do some demoing and play in the Ulthar event & demos.

Thank you Mac for EVERYTHING, it makes the game so much sweeter to know its in the hands a passionate person.

-Kyle Dalton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:14 am
HeroPosts: 209Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 pm
It was great meeting you guys and getting to see the Ulthar Invasion. Todd and Devon did a masterful job throughout the whole Con.

It was awesome to hang out in the booth with the Pulp City and Hell Dorado crew too. Next year I'm going to make sure the AE events are not scheduled during the same time as the Pulp City events so that I can play too!

And there are already rumors of another Pulp City - AE-WWII (or maybe Bounty?) cross over at GenCon. I can't wait.

Now I'm off to paint my Ulthars :D

Cheers,

Chris

Sleeping - Actually, yes!
Working - Feverishly to appease the dark gods of the US federal govt, still. Sigh...
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:11 am
The Man with No Name wrote:
One quick fix Toten, Kyle Dalton(me) took 3rd

That's what I wrote, isn't it? :wink:

Quote:
...but with a Villian team consisting of:

Supreme Zed
Seabolt
Boreas
Sanquine(lvl 1)
Sister Bedlam
Xenobi

Ah, yes. I couldn't remember who had what. Next time I'll get a printed or written list from everyone.

Quote:
Also, I had best painted not my brother haha.

That I will correct in my post.

Sorry for the mistakes. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:11 am
No worries man, just throwing it out there, thanks for the corrections and putting it all up in the first place dude, I appreciate it!

-KyLE Dalton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:06 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 36Location: New Jersey, home of addiction.Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:45 pm
I (Andrew) ran:
Father Oak
Seabolt
Boreas
Kitty Chesire
Xenobi
Francis Gator

I have to say that my all stars just about every game were Father Oak, Xenobi and Seabolt! Little Xenobi was just about one shotting level 2 supremes left and right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:23 pm
SidekickPosts: 60Location: Rockville, MD, USAJoined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:07 am
I ran a Hero team with:

Stoner Hawk
Iron Train
Androida
Father Oak
Acorn
Chimp Chi

All three games were great - my opponents were all top-notch!

Aaron

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:22 pm
cerealkiller195 wrote:
Little Xenobi was just about one shotting level 2 supremes left and right.

Doing what he does best!

-Kyle Dalton