Author Message

<  Team Building Tactics  ~  How to start...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:32 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 56Location: Kaiserslautern, GermanyJoined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:16 am
Hi everyone,

just found out that Pulp City delivers a game with all the things I wanted to do as a child. So I must start this and get my gaming club involved in this game. Now the question is how to start.

Is it enough to get the starterboxes and a set of the rules? How many terrain pieces do I need? How many miniatures for the first game? Questions over questions.

I am thankful for any input. Btw. if this is not the correct subforum, a admin may move this thread.

Best Regards,
Michael

P.S.: Sorry for my english, I´m not a native speaker. :lol:


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:08 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Demagoge wrote:
Hi everyone,


Hi Demagoge - welcome aboard! :)

Quote:
just found out that Pulp City delivers a game with all the things I wanted to do as a child. So I must start this and get my gaming club involved in this game. Now the question is how to start.

Is it enough to get the starterboxes and a set of the rules?


Starters and rules is fine, or else get yourself 2-3 models per side as a great starting point; tons of guys here will advise as to what are good options there.

Have a look at the Hero, Villain and Hero/Villain tactics sections to get a sense of the capabilities of the various Supremes.

Quote:
How many terrain pieces do I need?


The game plays on player decided battlefield size; anything from 24 inches x 24 inches and up (generally to a practical maximum of 48 inches x 48 inches); so basically enough terrain to set up your table as you want. Ranges tend to be 4-12 inches for non-close Combat Actions, so this isn't WH40K!

Just remember to allow things that can be thrown (cars, motorcycles, hot dog stands, trash cans, fire hydrants - whatever). No set amount, but the more the better.

Quote:
How many miniatures for the first game? Questions over questions.


The game can be played with as few as 2 models per side, although I think the sweet spot is 4-7 Supremes + Minions per side. Start small and build up as you learn and you won't go far wrong.

Quote:
I am thankful for any input. Btw. if this is not the correct subforum, a admin may move this thread.

Best Regards,
Michael

P.S.: Sorry for my english, I´m not a native speaker. :lol:


Always great to have newcomers. And don't worry - your English is more than fine. 8)



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:04 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
To learn the game, I'd use a level 1 and a level 2 supreme per side, without any agendas or plots, nor minions or citizens. You can't buy some of the starter set models alone, so think about that when you plan your purchases.

If you have someone familiar with the rules, add in plots and agendas so it's just not an all out beatfest. I would use resources, though.

The larger size board you play on, the longer it takes to get into contact, but it's really not isssue. 3'x3' is an ideal size.

The amount of terrain is dependent on what you have available, but 3-4 buildings, a couple other pieces in addition, as well as throwable terrain pieces- Cars, benches, trash cans, etc, that you can manipulate and throw around.

Welcome to the game!



_________________
Bob Nolan

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:28 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 139Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:06 am
dont worry to much about terrain to start with. high rise buildings and urban terrain rocks but heros and villains can clash in the middle of the forest or even on an alien planet if need be. just try to have some items that can be thrown as it really opens up some options for destruction :twisted:


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:18 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 152Location: Peterborough, ONJoined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 pm
varagon wrote:
You can't buy some of the starter set models alone, so think about that when you plan your purchases.



Who is unavailable on their own? As far as I can tell while checking the store you can buy anyone of the starter characters on their own.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:19 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
All of the starter models are available solo, or at least they were last time I checked.

Rules are a must have. They add so much to the downloadable ones.

Starters vs individual models: The starters are good but a little dated now. We've got countless interesting models so I'd actually suggest building your own starting line up. Go for the models that are just screaming for you to paint them!


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:47 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
smokingmonkee wrote:
varagon wrote:
You can't buy some of the starter set models alone, so think about that when you plan your purchases.



Who is unavailable on their own? As far as I can tell while checking the store you can buy anyone of the starter characters on their own.


Hmm, well, then I missed that and gave wrong information. I wonder if it's always been that way and my brain thought otherwise, or if it changed and I didn't realize it.

Either way, the information is corrected!



_________________
Bob Nolan

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:23 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
varagon wrote:
smokingmonkee wrote:
varagon wrote:
You can't buy some of the starter set models alone, so think about that when you plan your purchases.



Who is unavailable on their own? As far as I can tell while checking the store you can buy anyone of the starter characters on their own.


Hmm, well, then I missed that and gave wrong information. I wonder if it's always been that way and my brain thought otherwise, or if it changed and I didn't realize it.

Either way, the information is corrected!


Well you may be partly right as I guess original Solar, Ace and Nuke will be withdrawn at some point.



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:26 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 56Location: Kaiserslautern, GermanyJoined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:16 am
Hi everyone,

thanks for the nice answers. This all sounds really good. Perhaps Santa is bringing a little pulp to the X-mas-tree.

I think I´ll buy both starters and the ruleset. So I have both sides to show the game to my friends at the gaming club.
We have enough terrain from other tabletops. I think this should work for the beginning.

I can´t wait to get my hands on red riding hoodoo for painting. Sadly I have to finsh my Nurgle Blood Bowl team first. So it will last a litlle till I can show you some of my work.

Michael


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:22 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 139Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:06 am
good luck and you will love hoodoo, she is a great model to paint.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:01 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 56Location: Kaiserslautern, GermanyJoined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:16 am
Thanks. I really like the models. They all should be fun to paint.

I´m thinking about the order in which I paint my models. Regarding the first possible games I thought about:

Heros:
- Red Riding Hoodoo
- Six Feet Under

Villains:
- Hellsmith
- Twillight

Are these two teams a good choice for the first games?

Michael


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:26 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Not a bad starting setup. Personally, I'm not fond of games quite that small, but those should be reasonably balanced.

The only danger would be that the Blood Watch player 'turtle' a bit too much with Hoodoo, which might not be super fun for the opponent. Agendas should make that less of a danger.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
cardboardvampire wrote:
Not a bad starting setup. Personally, I'm not fond of games quite that small, but those should be reasonably balanced.

The only danger would be that the Blood Watch player 'turtle' a bit too much with Hoodoo, which might not be super fun for the opponent. Agendas should make that less of a danger.


TBH both Teams favour a little turtling since Twilight has Shadowzone and Hellsmith offers his short range Power For price buff. :)

That said, as you say good agenda and/or plot selection can mitigate this.



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:10 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Good point! I stand amended.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:23 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 56Location: Kaiserslautern, GermanyJoined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:16 am
Thanks again for the answers.

I think I´ll try a start with these four modells. On the other hand I want to focus on the heros. My first purchase should be:
Hero Starter
Six Feet Under
Sgt. Bale/Stoner Hawk
Villain Starter

Wich other (more balanced) team of two supremes on each side is possible.

Michael


Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC [ DST ]
Page 1 of 2
29 posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
cron