<  Pulp  ~  Pulp City Time Stamp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:30 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 88Location: TexasJoined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:42 pm
Ok as the game and forum has developed and grown are we still set in '86? I have to admit that most of the characters are a bit modern or general in appearance. Now I live in the USA and I grew up in the 80s and it had a distinct look to it and I was just wondering if you plan on still having it in that time. I haven't seen any punk, new wave, yuppie (although some have a mobster look that could be a yuppie look), etc. I would love to see some goons dressed like bikers or punks. Weaponry would be a bit more low tech and the overall feel of the time would be COOL.

Just wondering because the date of Pulp City Planet is 1986 and oh what a year that was. Where Russian nuclear power would never be trusted again, Qaddafi got some bombs down his throat, Oliver North takes one for the team and we lose 7 heroes on their way to the stars.

Brian

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:49 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
We are doomed to wonder from 1940's to the presence.
In fact one of the events we think of will set the clock back to 1940's.

I'd rather not be that time bound. The time stamp is to introduce some 80's tv series silliness, and Supremes that would be definitely too happy-go-lucky for XXIst Century comic books.
Also I'd love to keep the tech side very naive: super rockets, teleports, force fields without giving to much of the science background and "that could not work" attitude.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:17 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 31Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 10:06 pm
Since I was an avid comic book reader/collector in the 80's and early 90's I'm happy to see the world's set in the timeline I grew up enjoying.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:01 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 112Location: FranceJoined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:18 pm
I also like a lot the atmosphere and the the timeline and moreover as long as we have a "deep one" style guy, i will be happy (i know this is totally unlinked but i have to tell it).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 pm
MortalPosts: 1Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:47 pm
Just because the setting date is 1986, it does not have to be the 1986 from our history.
Some years ago Tim Truman wrote two mini-series about the classic pulp character, The Spider. Except that his stories were set in the 1990's. With a slight twist. They were set in the 1990's as they were envisioned to be during the 1930's.

What this ment was that beside the skyscrapers we see today there were also buildings still in the old Art-Deco style. While most people traveled overseas in jets, those who had the money could chose between taking an ocean liner or one of the regular transoceanic passenger zeppliens.

Mixing and matching tech from various decades up to the 80's allows a bit more leaway in how each group imagines Pulp City. Because in my mind, henchmen always look cooler packing Tommy guns instead of uzis or AK-47s.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:37 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
By 84-86 Punk was pretty much Dead - having been replaced by other faster more aggressive Music. So any Punks you might have encountered were definitely either going Retro or so out of Fashion its laughable. Plus who's so say the Pulp City Universe is a direct Parallel of our own anyway, HOWEVER upon saying that there is already the concept of Time Travel in Pulp City so anything is possible.

Yuppies, though around as early as Terminology as early as 1968 didn't really penetrate the public consciousness until the early 1990's so their lack of mention isn't really a crime Lol, Bikers were an still are an ever present look that is still present today - but don't forget there are Biker mini's on the market already,

Even though some of the Weaponry and general Technology had a Lo-Tek look and feel to it - thanks to the onset of New Romanticism the overall look of the mid to late 80' was a Retro/Hi-Tek mix that we are seeing in the Pulp City Range - and one of the things I love about it
:D

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW