<  Pulp  ~  Polish Comics

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:37 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 88Location: TexasJoined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:42 pm
Because I am such a comic geek I would love to hear about the Polish comic scene. Obviously you guys gotta be into it so let me know what original Polish characters are popular and the titles that dwell in. Any Polish national hero like the US's Captain America? Did comics exist during the Communists reign? If the scene is small then I think you could have another marketing aspect of your game, the Pulp City comic book.

Brian

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:03 pm
User avatarMachinePosts: 141Location: Pulp City TeamJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:57 pm
Battleground Weird War II wrote:
Any Polish national hero like the US's Captain America? Did comics exist during the Communists reign?

Yes, they did! but not realy superhero ones, it was all about cops and soldiers and special agents (kind of..)

I will try to find some websites and I will let you know
:D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:38 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Brian,
80's and before were kinda weird. We had the politically correct comic books of brave policeme (Milicja!) and WWII stuff with Red Army colaborators. Some of them were artistically ok to great, in fact, a guy that started with these found a lot of recognition in French/Belgian comic book business (anybody knows Thorgal?).

As for super heroes, there were none, in fact, even today, we have a lot of super hero parodies but not a single regular one. As close as it gets, my early teenage years super hero was Funky Koval, a sci-fi rogue with an attitude. Early exposition to violence, sexy comic chicks had caused so much damage to my sanity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funky_Koval

American comics were rare and treasured, mine are so worn out from reading them thousand times!
In fact, before we got our share of licensed Spidermans, Punishers (it had been a second Marvel title to show up here, weird, huh?), I recall some guerilla publishings of a black and white Superman, Conan and Frank Miller's Elektra.

I got to mention that Marek Oleksicki, the guy behind all (well, we have a second artist now) art in Pulp City is an author of several comic books including the Wyrd (dark ages, son of the witch, monster slaying fantasy) and Spec Group (teenage demon hunters from the Warsaw's suburbs). Marek is involved at this moment in a very interesting international project, so we may here from him in some time. Also, the scenario for the first Pulp City issue is long done, it's time, time, time we need!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:49 am
MortalPosts: 14Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:44 pm
Morf wrote:
a guy that started with these found a lot of recognition in French/Belgian comic book business (anybody knows Thorgal?).

French here! Thorgal is great classic stuff!

As for french comics, I feel like since the 90s, writers and artists as well have been more influenced by manga than by american comics. Although I've nothing against manga, which is a very popular genre over there, I sometimes wish there was more DC/Marvel/US style feel.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:17 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 88Location: TexasJoined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:42 pm
I am no fan of Anime and never really got into it a bit. Well sound like Poland is in need for some good old fashion super hero books and I think that Pulp City could be it's first Polish original supers books. I look forward to it in the future and hope we see a English translation.

I could easily see several of the game's characters become popular and famous. The comic book Indy scene is very popular in the US along with UK with many small books and GN becoming hit movies like Hellboy, 30 Days of Night and Constantine.

I see great things on the horizon,

Brian

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:16 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
I'd like to cast myself as Guerilla... now off to the gym! :wink: