<  Pulp  ~  Origins: The Coven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:05 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
As somebody has noted recently, it's been quiet!
Since some new recruits for the Villains and the Coven are on the way, here's an excerpt from the fluff section of the book.

Quote:

The first written evidence of The Coven?s existence dates back to early 19th century when a group of voodoo practitioners of European descent used their dark arts against the British troops on the outskirts of New Orleans. The chronicles mention this day as the time ?when Saints walked the streets?. The show of the mystical power left the minds of the Old World?s soldiers shattered.

And then? The Coven got smarter. Not a single written evidence of their existence until the late 20th century.
Throughout two hundred years, the elders of The Coven played the political game that in the eyes of somebody not directly involved in it was too random to be dangerous to the world order. But in that madness was the principle: side with the strong, suck the blood and jump from the lifeless husk to the next feeder. Each of the hosts provided valuable nutrition to The Coven, adding up to their current power.

Most likely it has started with a group of French missionaries who first observed, then participated and then stole the secrets of native African shaman?s, fusing them with the Christian rites and the cult of Saints. A legend says, that they were so powerful at the peak of their power they had to disperse around the world to avoid the scorn of true Saints.
Nobody knows where the elders, referred to as the Saints, reside these days. They don?t age and don?t die. The Coven still retains its ?business? facilities around the US and most of the world. Among ?the emerging markets? such as Eastern Europe, Middle East is also Pulp City with all of its violent development and influential people. That?s where The Coven feels like a crocodile in a tank full of fish.

Coven Enterprises has its office in the Golden Plaza area, where the consulting service is just a cover to shady activities like illegal lobbying, internet financial scams and unbeknownst to many, drug business from South America.
Pulp City has become the operating base for the Strike Team. With the current reappearance of the Forgotten, fallen godlings, the Saints look for the way of tapping into that power. The attempt to gain the favor of Stygian and her minions by helping in the return of Hellsmith has failed after Strike Team?s opposed the sacrifice of one of their members in a daring Pulp City Museum raid. Furious Saints gave them another chance to redeem: sending them out to various ?places of power?, usually archeological sites that hold the artifacts of the past. Potentially, each of them is also a prison that holds the essence of a Forgotten.

The line up of the Strike Team is composed of the core team and the support Supremes who sometimes pay the highest price for their aspirations.
Unlike most of other Villain teams, Strike Team Supremes have forged the bond and set aside personal agendas, working together like a sharp blade in the surgeon?s hand. They don?t have to worry about the cash ? being on The Coven?s payroll means a lot of money. So instead they focus on constant honing of their considerable skills. Their leader, Papa Zombie is as close to being the Saint as it gets. The master of dark arts who prolongs the life in the most unnatural way is a walking testimony of what dedication to The Coven?s way gets you. That is eternal life and considerable power. The muscle of the team are Rook and Loup Garou II. The first, a sworn bodyguard of Papa Zombie and the Saints, employs the most sophisticated warfare technologies, only to name the support armor and the Tremor Halberd. The latter, a poor soul trapped in the wolf-man hybrid form is a true predator of the night. When it comes to subtlety, Twilight is unrivaled and she, and the men with no face, no history, Zero usually embark on missions that require absolute confidentiality. Francis Gator, the mysterious creature from the swamps is wilder and even less mannered than Loup Garou, but his loyalty is unfaltering.

The newest addition to the core team are Saint Kane and Saint Eve, the twin progeny of one of the Elders. The Strike Team members have a hard time accepting these into their ranks not only because these two have a very uneasy relation with the Saints (including their father) but also because their powers seem to be growing with each hour.
In most of the covert operations, the Strike Team relies on the support of Coven Soldiers, highly trained Minions recruited from the best mercenaries on the market. Though never seen, the rumor claims that the best of them transcended the thin line between life and death. Feeling no pain nor exertion, the so called Dead Guard are a handful, but invaluable support to the Strike Team.
The current agendas of The Coven?s Strike Team follow the 200-years-old-rule of trying to remain unseen. While the Supremes search and raid new ?places of power?, aid the smuggling business or assassinate politicians, the Saints pursue their new goal ? feeding all of the gathered Forgotten power to the true fallen Saint that they?ve kept hidden from the world.

Jed is having the Rook model on his workshop, so shortly after the New Year we shall some Coven goodness.
And if you care for some concepts, I will make the Christmas come earlier :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:45 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
Please, oh please make Christmas come early!!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:25 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm

One of the early sketches of Rook, the final mini is all about the dynamic swing from over the head.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:50 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
oooooooooo!

I like how rook looks- Simply like a walking beatstick.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:19 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Nice Fluff really digging these guys. I've been a fan of Twilight for a while now and I'm a HUGE werewolf fan boy. Plus as I've said I just love Gator. these guys are a blast to play. Thanks for sharing the concept of Rook. He's a mean customer to be sure. That Halbred of his does give opponents the fits though... ouch.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:47 pm
MortalPosts: 27Location: Woodbury, CtJoined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:59 pm
Awesome write up and pic! Do I see a Gen COn event down the line of "Take on the Elders"? Can't wait to hear more about these guys!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:18 pm
This is sort of the write up every faction will get PLUS potential involvements in Pulp City as I know some of you love playing story driven guys.
In the alpha testing, we have Loup Garou II (in fact, visually don't expect your regular wolf man) & Zero pack and then Papa Zombie and Dead Guard.
Saint Kane and Saint Eve will be pretty unique as they will share Damage and AP stat, so will offer a lot of interesting options.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:08 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 191Location: FranceJoined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:35 am
everything sounds amazing...
hope i'll get the minis sooooooooon !

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:31 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 287Location: St. Louis, MOJoined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 pm
Twilight is my favorite supreme out of all of them. I am definitely looking forward to more coming for the Coven. I can see using them most of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:07 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 148Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:46 pm
Awesome... I'm amazed at the depth of the Coven's schemes. I just thought they were a small time crime syndicate. I'm not really feeling the Coven for myself, but you have revamped my expectations more Pulp City coming soon. :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:39 pm
HeroPosts: 169Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:54 pm
Wow, very cool. I am also going to be a primary Coven player, as I really enjoy the fluff.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:49 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 50Location: CybertronJoined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:48 pm
Thanks for the intel

Heavy Metal upload complete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:55 am
SidekickPosts: 98Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:10 pm
Morf wrote:
Papa Zombie and Dead Guard.

Please tell me they are zombies. Or are they from the necroplane? Either way that would be awesome. They still would be awesome without that. Werewolfs, Zombies, monsters are taking over Pulp City, possibly.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:56 pm
They are comic book versions of the Haiti urban legend elite troopers.
Less dead than Necro G.I.s but still pretty dead. And fast!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:55 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Morf wrote:
Quote:
And fast!

Because there is always a trick...

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman