<  Pulp  ~  The Allure of Pulp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:28 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 33Location: Central KentuckyJoined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:36 am
Alright. It is fairly safe to conclude-- those of us who participate in this forum and those who lurk are more than mildly interested in Pulp.

Pulp gaming is like beer and pizza...savor it...

What draws you to Pulp? What is the allure of Pulp for you?

Go ahead give it a go...

Regards,

Tull

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:11 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
For me it's the fact that it's different than your standard fare of Sci-fi and fantasy. I'm tired of the same ol', same ol' thing.

It's what I'd call, a real city feeling with just a touch of the abnormal thrown in.

Otherwise, it's a relatively new genre for me, but insofar as what I'm used to, it's much different and a new change of pace that intrigues me.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:56 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 88Location: TexasJoined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:42 pm
For me it's the fantastic moving alongside real-life and the only thing that keeps the world from spiraling outta control are a few hard as nails, selfless individuals with the guts, skills and luck to save us all without any recognition for it. The characters are larger then life and the good aren't always good but the bad are truly evil.

Brian
http://www.battlegroundweirdwarii.com/

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:00 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 33Location: Central KentuckyJoined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:36 am
@Varagon

Pulp tempts the unexplainable. I think the X-Files in a modern turn of the genre really focused on this concept you have turned up. Pulp is substantially related to Sci-Fi, Hero fiction, Fantasy, Crime/Detective, and Horror. IMO Pulp is not a blend, for I consider it to stand alone, but it specializes in those allusive components of a story called tone and character. But that is perhaps only my perspective.

I am certainly in agreement with you. :idea: Very Cool!

@ Battleground Weird War II

That idea of the fantastic, or supra-real existing together always intrigued me too. If parallel realities were to exist simultaneous there would have to be a Â?bridgeÂ? or explanation. Why? By definition if something, like two lines, were parallel they never meet, as I had pointed out to me by my Chinese geometry professor. So there has to be an explanation, and that explanation of how the two lines / realities intersect is like a Â?just-soÂ? story or Â?telling whyÂ? story. Those stories are compelling in fiction also.

Right you are! Self-starters and flawed men-of-action who might have a shy side. Pure Pulp! Evil is as evil does....that's what Forrest Gump's momma always used to say. :wink:

I am intrigued by your notion of control. By control, what do you mean?

Good deal, sir!