<  Pulp  ~  Where's the Spandex?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:40 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 148Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:46 pm
I know Pulp City is still getting steam, but I was considering the models which are in the starter sets and came to a realization:

From what I've seen of comics of the genre, there's lots of heroes/villains flying around in spandex, but much of the models so far in Pulp City look more comfortable in a war genre game. Chain gun wielding gorilla, speedy robot chick, overcoat clad pistoleer, sneaky corporate operative, sniping assassin, teleporting alien...etc. What do you think? Does Pulp City need more spandex; do you think its coming soon?

I think Pulp City has it in the plans, and we do already have Solar to represent that sect. However, I just keep thinking it's so prevalent in comics that it'd be a shame if it didn't make a big appearance. I like the idea of this game, I feel like I need to see more heroes/villains in spandex before I really feel the comic book superhero vibe. I keep thinking that Pulp City needs the X-men, the Justice League, the Fantastic Four, or even Spiderman... any idea how that might fit into the setting? :?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:29 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Yeah... I kinda agree actually. WHere is the spandex, where are the capes and the cheesy combat gestures?
DOn't get me wrong, I do like Pulp City (much more than I have ever liked any other game), I feel it could get more... superhero-like.

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:10 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
I personally applaud the lack of Spandex clad Supremes.

The 80's was a time of extremes in Comics - "Heroes" were using guns, becoming more violent, and wearing more outlandish costumes rather than just being brightly clad clones from a previous age.

Some of the most interesting Heroes in Comics did NOT wear their underwear on the outside - the Shadow, The Metal Men, Guy Garder when he was the Green Lantern, the Hulk, Iron Man, X-O Manowar, and Savage Dragon - to name but a few.

Spandex (or elastane to be more correct) wasn't invented untill 1959 by DuPont chemist Joseph Shivers - and didn't actually reach market usage sometime later.

In comics, superheroes and superheroines commonly wear costumes "thought" to be made of Spandex - a concept brought on by 70's TV Superhero shows where the characters Costumes were indeed made of the material.

However, early comic heroes predate the invention of spandex (Superman-1938, Batman-1939, Captain America-1941 for example) so logic dictates that Comic heroes don't actually wear Spandex at all, and their costumes are made from some other material.

Back on Topic, what they have done with Pulp City is create a realistic view of a world inhabited by Super Heroes (or Supremes in Pulp City) - in reality people have differing ideas of what looks cool and (to a certain degree) what is usefull and practical.

Pulp City is well thought out, and dances to the beat of its own drum - rather than being a simple Carbon Copy of other more used elements of the Super Hero Genre.

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:18 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
I hope to see some spandex soon as well. :D

One thing I really really really (3 reallys :) ) is that Pulp City explores the 80's Japaneses hero Tokusatsu

I would kill for some minis like these.

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:33 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Very Cool - but look - no Spandex!

Normal Trousers (look at the creases) and Body Armour Lol!

;)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:38 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
POWER RANGERS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

:lol:

I could see some market for a team of Japanese heroes along those lines. But must say I like the direction Pulp is heading in now. I think it strikes the right balance between classic comic characters and tropes, Iron Age 80's vigilantes, and just plain fun. In all a few more spandex types wouldn't go amiss but I think they're in the works. By and large though I don't feel the lack. That's just me though.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:50 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
Woah... not Power Rangers... :shock: :D very different....actually. Power Rangers are based upon japanese Sentai which means task force. Tokusatsu is the japanese equivalent of superhero. Our very own Spider-Man was featured as Tokusatsu hero. (it must be the big eyes :) )

Here are some from the 70's

I've always liked the unique look of japanese heroes and growing up in Hawaii we were always watching heroes from Japan. One of my favorites as a kid was Kikaida.

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:56 pm
ACTUALLY and (IMHO) interestingly, the Power Rangers (or Super Sentai as they are known as in Japan) actually DO wear Spandex!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:58 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 287Location: St. Louis, MOJoined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 pm
There was still plenty of "spandex" in the 80's. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and dozens of others still went about clad in theirs. DC's Power Girl was one of my favorites. :D

The late 80's is when I recall the drop of the spandex suit and the rise of more ordinary clothing being the thing in comics. The Punisher dropped his full spandex getup for a torso hugging body armor and jeans with heavy boots. In many cases, such as DC's Captain Atom and his foe Major Force, the spandex was replaced with armor that more or less was drawn the same way. With even others, it was replaced with body armor such as Blade. Heck, even the X-Men went through more costume changes than you could shake a stick at. Archangel anyone?

Man, I love comics and heroes!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:58 pm
Larkin Vain wrote:

Joel - why do they seem to be teamed up with the Banana Splits? :D

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:00 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 287Location: St. Louis, MOJoined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 pm
Some of those pictures just creep me out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:02 pm
Neomorte wrote:

Why? Just curious is all!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:06 pm
Doctor-Warlock wrote:
Neomorte wrote:

Why? Just curious is all!

I think it might be the cultural/age gap. The buggy eyes are freaky. I also look at the power ranger like outfits and think they look silly because of the show. Of course, I was a kid when Thundercats and Voltron were awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:30 pm
Neomorte wrote:
Thundercats and Voltron were awesome.

Theres a Voltron Movie in development atm.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 148Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:46 pm
It's not so much an unwholesome fascination with spandex per se, but the thematic design of Pulp City characters. I really like the characters they have, it's just that they seem more like a different genre. Surely you know the mental image conjured when using the term "superhero":

I can use pictures too!! :lol:

I just don't seem to see many characters like these yet. I hope they are in the future because when you say superhero genre, this is what I see.

Then again maybe the issue is just that I've only seen their depictions on the cards. Maybe a Pulp City comic in the future to give them that dramatic look?... :wink:

Offline Profile