<  Pulp  ~  Where's the Spandex?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:17 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Corporate_Sellout wrote:
Surely you know the mental image conjured when using the term "superhero"

BUT - they aren't called "Superheroes" in Pulp City . . . . . .

:twisted:

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:18 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Yeah, we are kinda behind with the spandex story. I promise we get better after Ulthars.
From the few miniatures down the line, Tenebrous gets as close to a caped villain as it gets. The rest of them... hmmm, I think they are bit more Ellis/Ennis, though Necro G.I.s and Vigilantes are SO oldschool. I can't stop laughing when I look at the Vigilante in the wrestler bodysuit and classic Adidas... man, he is funny.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:23 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Morf wrote:
Yeah, we are kinda behind with the spandex story. I promise we get better after Ulthars.
From the few miniatures down the line, Tenebrous gets as close to a caped villain as it gets. The rest of them... hmmm, I think they are bit more Ellis/Ennis, though Necro G.I.s and Vigilantes are SO oldschool. I can't stop laughing when I look at the Vigilante in the wrestler bodysuit and classic Adidas... man, he is funny.

I'm not Anti-Spandex, I just don't see the issue with the lack of Spandex in Pulp City LOL!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:26 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
I still think we need some more :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:34 am
You could do a Madonna-Esque Miniature, she wore her underwear on the outside in the 80's to!
;)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:32 am
MortalPosts: 20Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:28 pm
I really like the diversity of the styles in Pulp City too and think the released 10% Spandex is quite ok. And to villains with capes: Evil Sorcerers or Gentlemen (Moriarty anyone ?) do wear capes too, and those are not made of Spandex.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:46 am
I I could rip one character off, it would be Dr. Strange if we are talking capes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:30 pm
Morf wrote:
I I could rip one character off, it would be Dr. Strange if we are talking capes.

Doctor Strange and Doctor Fate are two of my all-time favourite Heroes!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:34 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
Corporate_Sellout wrote:
I can use pictures too!! :lol:

I just don't seem to see many characters like these yet. I hope they are in the future because when you say superhero genre, this is what I see.

Then again maybe the issue is just that I've only seen their depictions on the cards. Maybe a Pulp City comic in the future to give them that dramatic look?... :wink:

Im hoping Im quoting the correct picture here.
but when I saw that picture in your comment I tought/realised... its not that different from what you get when you combined the current pulpcity characters in one groupshot actually.

realising that I took a closer look at the images (as I myself missed a *superhero* touch too, until taking this closer look.)
and I think wich makes the difference is color choice.
funny enough in the miniature hobby people often seem to associate *style* of a miniature with the way it is painted.
and the whole comicbook superhero style is created trough highly saturated and contrasted colors, the opposite of the painted examples of the miniatures so far (tough on the box they do look more saturated, and Id seen the paintjob on virus in real life and it definitely was more saturated :) but nothing as *silly* as spandex style superheroes yet.)

painting hellsmith with a dark purple body, black armor parts with blue glowing eyes and freehands on his armor and body (now having become traditional tight clothing as opposed to a naked body.) and then painting the hammer as if it is a blue magic hammer as opposed to a *real* hammer.. he would get a definitive comicbook vibe.
this same effect would basically work on all miniatures released so far. (and when thinking about it, you can transform alot of fantasy and scifi miniatures to *superheroes* by doing this in addition as snipping away weapons as much as possible, as thats another thing, superheroes often dont use weapons.)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:50 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
to follow up
combining Solar, Ace of Wraiths, Harrier and Androida and paint them in a combining scheme they are very traditional -comicbook- superheroes.

likewise combine Hellsmith, Nuke, Mourn and Hoodoo (I know she doesnt belong there... but she makes a nice mystique type character and fits the other 3 visually better than twilight and the gentleman do) as likewise stereotypical -comicbook- villains group.

its very possible to get the same vibe with pulp minis as the reference images given ;) just look beyond studio paintjobs.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:15 pm
Yeah, I considered some of that too recently.
I think it is the fear of getting "clixed" and the force of habit.
Anybody wanting to give it a try? It will be hard to unlearn all we know about painting...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:56 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
That's sorta true, but then... about spandex, it all comes down to what era you're talking about. Golden/silver age was way more about funky outfits with tights and underwear over the pants. Then nowadays, super heroes are not that found of that anymore. BUt then again, they don't stick that much to the super hero archetype anymore.

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:09 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 287Location: St. Louis, MOJoined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 pm
John S. wrote:
That's sorta true, but then... about spandex, it all comes down to what era you're talking about. Golden/silver age was way more about funky outfits with tights and underwear over the pants. Then nowadays, super heroes are not that found of that anymore. BUt then again, they don't stick that much to the super hero archetype anymore.

You do see that in the 1980s still though. even in the 90s there was plenty of spandex running around. Punisher was rockin' the spandex then for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:48 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 288Location: Sydney AustraliaJoined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 am
I like the way the miniature line is shapiing up.... spandex splashed here and there but not the predominant theme.

I remember devouring Wild Cards in the late 80s and I always liked the spin how individual reacted differently to their powers. Some donned the spandex as they thought that is what heroes/villiansdo. Ohters chose mundane cosutmes... wanting tobe normal or practical.

Trail is a classic mis-mash.

It evokes Dr Strange and Dr Fate but has a touch of the average joe.

Leave the Megalomaniacs to the capes.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:56 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Hey... actually... the arrival of Trail makes me rethink all that. He has a cape, a funky mask, a totally pimpable costume... That's fine for me. With 2 or 3 like him I won't have anything more to say about the spandex situation. :D

Neomorte wrote:
John S. wrote:

You do see that in the 1980s still though. even in the 90s there was plenty of spandex running around. Punisher was rockin' the spandex then for sure.

True, but it was not limited to comic books or super hero related stuff... :D

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile