<  Pulp  ~  Supreme Team builder application.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:18 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 44Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:55 pm
Morf posted this in the Heralds Rules of Engagement, and it got me thinking.

I'm currently studying for a masters degree in Computer Science, so I should be well qualified for making such an application, but I wouldn't presume to start, in case someone else was already working on it. So if someone is working on one, please let me know :)

Having used several army builders for several game systems, I've developed some pretty distinct preferences for this sort of application, but since it would be an application for all players, I think we'd need a requirement specification, so that the developed application suits as many players as possible.

If I were to start working on something like this, it would be an offline application in C# with model data in XML. Although I could probably be persuaded to create an online version instead, even though I really hate creating webapps :P

I'd probably not include stats and actions in the application, but just have the application be able to build teams correctly according to encounter level and the supreme's individual levels and alignments. Of course, it would need the endorsement of the company as well. I wouldn't make something that could infringe on their IP.

Is there a need for such an application and would it be used? And if so, what would you like to see?

Disclaimer: I won't be able to promise anything with regards to deadlines, but if it is an application that there is a need and wish for, I'll definitely start making up a initial prototype.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:50 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 27Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:41 pm
Any chance you could do something cross-platform? Lots of Mac and Linux people out there that would find a Java app useful.

All the news you can eat!
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:07 pm
The allure of C# is the ease of GUI building. But I'm good with Java as well, so no problems there.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:20 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
There's a web based builder here, if that helps.

http://www.totengraber.net/pulpcity/

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:23 pm
Hell, no need to make another one then. I don't think we need two builders competing, so I'll just shelve this idea again :(

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:21 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 55Location: Bordeaux (France)Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 9:55 pm
I made an army builder for Pulp City recently but using Excel. I'm going to translate it in English (I did it in french, of course :mrgreen: ). If you're interested in for having a sort of beginning, warn me. :wink:

PS edit : mine is already more actual because I included the last waves of news (especially Deadeye and Dr. Tenebrous^^).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:20 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 288Location: Sydney AustraliaJoined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 am
Hey I would not be discouraged... more apps/utils the better. Each will have their strength and weaknesses.

Check out the online builder and see if it covers what you want it to do.

Freedom of Choice...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:20 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Actually one big plus of the java app would be that it's usable offline, as I don't always have a connection around when I play PC, I would find it quite useful...

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:48 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
I was just looking at the jpg cards (saved from the tactics forums, of course) on my iPad, with the game guide open in the background in iBooks, flicking through thinking this would be the perfect device for a game like pulp city. All it would need is the team builder to pull it all together. Perhaps choose your team in one place and have the cards/stats available for play in the other. Reasonably simple: no computing points (apart from lvl!) and then the jpgs in the background...

Anyone good at that stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:36 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Cilionelle wrote:
I was just looking at the jpg cards (saved from the tactics forums, of course) on my iPad, with the game guide open in the background in iBooks, flicking through thinking this would be the perfect device for a game like pulp city. All it would need is the team builder to pull it all together. Perhaps choose your team in one place and have the cards/stats available for play in the other. Reasonably simple: no computing points (apart from lvl!) and then the jpgs in the background...

Anyone good at that stuff?

That would be awesome. There is a whole market in the gaming community for something like this.

Wish I knew how to do it. :(

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:16 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Oddly enough I went back to college recently to learn computer programing. Mostly cause I want to figure out how to write a BOOM Minion builder application for Pulp City. Sometimes I scare myself with how much of a geek I am. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:01 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Beermonkey wrote:
Oddly enough I went back to college recently to learn computer programing. Mostly cause I want to figure out how to write a BOOM Minion builder application for Pulp City. Sometimes I scare myself with how much of a geek I am. :shock:

I wonder if you could use one of the many App programs for iOS or Android? Might be easy to learn. Dunno

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:41 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
What would be awesome is a Pulp City app for my iphone. I know alot of people have them now.