Author Message

<  Future plans for Pulp Monsters company  ~  What's up for 2016?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:22 pm
MortalPosts: 12Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:23 am
Well I guess it that time when someone ask this question again!

Here's a few things I'm hoping for...

1 - New card packs.

Yes I'm old, I'm lazy and I like things neat! There are some nice equipment and artefact items listed in the rules but PLEASE can we have some nice pre-printed equipment cards. Seams like a simple and easy way to upgrade the game experience

Also how about monster ability card packs, make it easier then scribbling it on paper. Just search through the desk and pull out the abilities you need.

2 - Flesh out the factions

Rules state you can only have one lvl 3 supreme for every complete 12 levels of an encounter.. But you can't do that if you want to stick to a single faction! Tried doing that with Necroplane and they don't have enough level 1s! Yes I know you don't have to stick to a single faction but it would be nice to have the option.

3 - Bigger isn't always better..

We started with the supremes, then came the monsters. How about going the other way? Imagine Doom train is robbing a bank.. Heros haven't turned up yet... It's down to city cops to stop him.

Or several villains turn up and the national guard are called in?

Level 1 supremes are either supreme rookies or humans with some power that marks them as special how about the captain of the police or detective with ability to command more then usual number of minions (cops)

Yes it would take a bit of work to figure out the details to make it balanced but that's what you guys do best :)

Besides who says it has to be balanced, perhaps they could have different objectives. Police are then to protect civilians, national guard to protect an objective, gang members just need to get away (or get away with loot)


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:25 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Firebird wrote:
Well I guess it that time when someone ask this question again!

Here's a few things I'm hoping for...

1 - New card packs.

Yes I'm old, I'm lazy and I like things neat! There are some nice equipment and artefact items listed in the rules but PLEASE can we have some nice pre-printed equipment cards. Seams like a simple and easy way to upgrade the game experience


With reference to equipment etc. I *think* you are referring to the 2010 edition of the rules and earlier. With Supreme Edition which we delivered in 2015, equipment was folded into cards for Supremes themselves as part of the streamlining of the rules.

Understandably, all printed game materials going forward are for SE. :)


Quote:
Also how about monster ability card packs, make it easier then scribbling it on paper. Just search through the desk and pull out the abilities you need.


That is something we can certainly think about, and is likely to be something we would consider around the build your own rules when they are published. That said, those rules will continue to take a long time in development so are not likley to be the next expansion project.

Quote:
2 - Flesh out the factions

Rules state you can only have one lvl 3 supreme for every complete 12 levels of an encounter.. But you can't do that if you want to stick to a single faction! Tried doing that with Necroplane and they don't have enough level 1s! Yes I know you don't have to stick to a single faction but it would be nice to have the option.


With Supreme Edition the rules around Team-Building have changed, allowing a free mix of Level 1 and Level 2, and up to one Leader and up to one Powerhouse per Team as long as total levels is within the agreed limit.

With additions such as Wonder Wight, Feartigo and Soul Golem, Necroplane for example now has at least 21 Levels to draw from. :)

We have a number of Factions all able to comfortably exceed 12 levels, which tends be games of around a couple of hours.


Quote:
3 - Bigger isn't always better..

We started with the supremes, then came the monsters. How about going the other way? Imagine Doom train is robbing a bank.. Heros haven't turned up yet... It's down to city cops to stop him.

Or several villains turn up and the national guard are called in?

Level 1 supremes are either supreme rookies or humans with some power that marks them as special how about the captain of the police or detective with ability to command more then usual number of minions (cops)

Yes it would take a bit of work to figure out the details to make it balanced but that's what you guys do best :)

Besides who says it has to be balanced, perhaps they could have different objectives. Police are then to protect civilians, national guard to protect an objective, gang members just need to get away (or get away with loot)


Monsters were an add-on to create additional game options, and are not the primary game which is one of Supreme factions pitted against each other.

We released Citizens as models thanks to the first Kickstarter we did.

Cops etc. are something we have thought about, but ultimately every Supreme and Minion we create has to be carefully considered as development and production costs are part of the process; models have to be a good fit to what we are doing and what we see as our primary focus. Fundamentally Pulp City is a game of Supremes, and so the main core of models will remain so.

We may find a viable way to include Cops, VIP's etc. in future, but they will likley be as Minions, and therefore as ancillary to our core range of Supremes.

In addition, Minions will be part of the build your own rules when we reach fruition with that project.



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:50 pm
MortalPosts: 1Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:38 pm
"build your own rules"

Hi I'm new to the game. Wish I would have gotten into it during the cold war kickstarter.. oh well. So what's this about "build our own"? Are there plans to allow rules for people to make there own supremes? That would be awesome.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:21 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Gaius_cassar wrote:
"build your own rules"

Hi I'm new to the game. Wish I would have gotten into it during the cold war kickstarter.. oh well. So what's this about "build our own"? Are there plans to allow rules for people to make there own supremes? That would be awesome.


Hi Gaius_cassar. WE have been working on a project to allow players to build their own Supremes , Monsters and Minions and play games of Pulp City. The reality is that it is such a big, long-term project that it will be quite a while off, but it remains something we are excited about. :)



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:26 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 56Location: Kaiserslautern, GermanyJoined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:16 am
I'm really looking forward to building my own Deadpool. ;)

By the way, thanks for the awesome communiction. It's great to see Pulp Monsters respond that quickly with the community.

Cheers,
Michael


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:19 pm
Defender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 124Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:11 pm
pulpcitizen wrote:
Gaius_cassar wrote:
"build your own rules"

Hi I'm new to the game. Wish I would have gotten into it during the cold war kickstarter.. oh well. So what's this about "build our own"? Are there plans to allow rules for people to make there own supremes? That would be awesome.


Hi Gaius_cassar. WE have been working on a project to allow players to build their own Supremes , Monsters and Minions and play games of Pulp City. The reality is that it is such a big, long-term project that it will be quite a while off, but it remains something we are excited about. :)


I'm not sold anymore on this "build your Supremes" thing.
I think that the "Pulp City" universe is a fun one, with its own Heroes & Villains, and allowing to put any Heroes from other universes (as it will happen with such a thing) will make the true Pulp City Supremes less charismatic, less viewable, and it will not benefit the game.

I would prefer to see variants of gameplay (asymetric scenarios ?), random events, the mascots, scenaristic campaigns, and such on.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:44 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 56Location: Kaiserslautern, GermanyJoined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:16 am
Gulix wrote:
I'm not sold anymore on this "build your Supremes" thing.
I think that the "Pulp City" universe is a fun one, with its own Heroes & Villains, and allowing to put any Heroes from other universes (as it will happen with such a thing) will make the true Pulp City Supremes less charismatic, less viewable, and it will not benefit the game.

I would prefer to see variants of gameplay (asymetric scenarios ?), random events, the mascots, scenaristic campaigns, and such on.


That might be true if you play in a competitive environment, but for a few beer-and-prezel-games with friends, this should be a fun thing.

And it is the responsibility of the players to make their own supremes as fun as the ones created by Pulp Monsters. ;)

Nevertheless in an Expansion which includes building your own supremes there should be an "both players have to agree, if they want to use self-build supremes" clause.

Cheers,
Michael


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:09 pm
Defender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 124Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:11 pm
I don't play in a competitive way, but I think that if this happens, maybe more people will play the game, but less will buy Pulp City Miniatures (Heroclix, Batman, ...). Then, maybe less will come out new, and the game will perish. That's my thought. :?

I may be pessimistic, but I think this game as much to offer before that.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:12 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Demagoge wrote:
Gulix wrote:
I'm not sold anymore on this "build your Supremes" thing.
I think that the "Pulp City" universe is a fun one, with its own Heroes & Villains, and allowing to put any Heroes from other universes (as it will happen with such a thing) will make the true Pulp City Supremes less charismatic, less viewable, and it will not benefit the game.

I would prefer to see variants of gameplay (asymetric scenarios ?), random events, the mascots, scenaristic campaigns, and such on.


That might be true if you play in a competitive environment, but for a few beer-and-prezel-games with friends, this should be a fun thing.

And it is the responsibility of the players to make their own supremes as fun as the ones created by Pulp Monsters. ;)

Nevertheless in an Expansion which includes building your own supremes there should be an "both players have to agree, if they want to use self-build supremes" clause.

Cheers,
Michael


It will certainly be an 'if players agree' situation: basically a new type of game mode of sorts. :)



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:14 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Gulix wrote:
I don't play in a competitive way, but I think that if this happens, maybe more people will play the game, but less will buy Pulp City Miniatures (Heroclix, Batman, ...). Then, maybe less will come out new, and the game will perish. That's my thought. :?

I may be pessimistic, but I think this game as much to offer before that.


Build Your Own will be some way off, so plenty to come before then, including other game expanding options. :)

More news on those as we tackle them, but from Cold War we started with the first, which is variant cards for a small handful of Supremes. :)

We have much more stuff planned, so stay tuned. :)



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:44 pm
MortalPosts: 12Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:23 am
Quote:
Monsters were an add-on to create additional game options, and are not the primary game which is one of Supreme factions pitted against each other.

We released Citizens as models thanks to the first Kickstarter we did.

Cops etc. are something we have thought about, but ultimately every Supreme and Minion we create has to be carefully considered as development and production costs are part of the process; models have to be a good fit to what we are doing and what we see as our primary focus. Fundamentally Pulp City is a game of Supremes, and so the main core of models will remain so.

We may find a viable way to include Cops, VIP's etc. in future, but they will likley be as Minions, and therefore as ancillary to our core range of Supremes.

In addition, Minions will be part of the build your own rules when we reach fruition with that project.




Well I wasn't really thinking of cops/national guard/mobsters etc as a line of models, I think there are more then enough models of that type already out there.

I was thinking more of an add-on like the Monsters were, just to add another dimension to the game (all be it the opposite direction to the monsters). Perhaps as another kick-starter in the future?

It would effectively allow you to build a team of just minions with maybe a low level (level 1?) hero of the support type (e.g. Police captain) with the special ability to have lots of minions (restricted to cops) and generates the the resource points (again limited to type e.g. cop).

The game would still be focused on the Supremes, but the scenarios would look more like the start of a superhero movie where the hero starts by picking on minor villains.

You could also build some great storyline campaigns around henchmen stealing resources until the mastermind is revealed then the hero and villain bash it out with the support of their supreme allies.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:20 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Firebird wrote:
Quote:
Monsters were an add-on to create additional game options, and are not the primary game which is one of Supreme factions pitted against each other.

We released Citizens as models thanks to the first Kickstarter we did.

Cops etc. are something we have thought about, but ultimately every Supreme and Minion we create has to be carefully considered as development and production costs are part of the process; models have to be a good fit to what we are doing and what we see as our primary focus. Fundamentally Pulp City is a game of Supremes, and so the main core of models will remain so.

We may find a viable way to include Cops, VIP's etc. in future, but they will likley be as Minions, and therefore as ancillary to our core range of Supremes.

In addition, Minions will be part of the build your own rules when we reach fruition with that project.




Well I wasn't really thinking of cops/national guard/mobsters etc as a line of models, I think there are more then enough models of that type already out there.

I was thinking more of an add-on like the Monsters were, just to add another dimension to the game (all be it the opposite direction to the monsters). Perhaps as another kick-starter in the future?

It would effectively allow you to build a team of just minions with maybe a low level (level 1?) hero of the support type (e.g. Police captain) with the special ability to have lots of minions (restricted to cops) and generates the the resource points (again limited to type e.g. cop).

The game would still be focused on the Supremes, but the scenarios would look more like the start of a superhero movie where the hero starts by picking on minor villains.

You could also build some great storyline campaigns around henchmen stealing resources until the mastermind is revealed then the hero and villain bash it out with the support of their supreme allies.


We have expansions planned which will broaden the scope of options for Pulp City games in the future, and not just for Build Your Own, but also changing how models interact with their environment, differing approaches to games/Plots, narrative evolution of some characters (e.g. Perun, Androida, Twilight, Sister Bedlam and others) etc. :)



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:58 pm
MortalPosts: 12Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:23 am
I'm sure I saw someone post about it before, but I'd love to see some kind of vehicles too!

Especially the villains... I'm sure you could twist the monster rules slightly to have your evil mastermind driving a low level monster on a city rampage... Hmm that's an idea...


Movie inspired campaigns!!!

Think Dr T would make a fantastic Megamind :P although he is a little tall :?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:14 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Firebird wrote:
I'm sure I saw someone post about it before, but I'd love to see some kind of vehicles too!

Especially the villains... I'm sure you could twist the monster rules slightly to have your evil mastermind driving a low level monster on a city rampage... Hmm that's an idea...


Re: vehicles, it is hard to make them worthwhile or simply not just a Supreme in vehicular guise.

We can do rules for moving things about (in fact we did, and the game has had that since the previous version with iron Train), but the point is that in the first Round, forces can be engaged against each other as it is.

Also, vehicles are often about a scene or two in most action movies and supers films, but not the whole star (Fast and Furious aside!).

So what does the inclusion of vehicles offer us in terms of game play? Something cosmetic maybe by slightly accelerating initial mobility, but also potentially an anchor to speed of play if models are getting in and out of vehicles and a layer of rules is added that is only occasionally used and internalised.

The Monster is a great kit IMHO, but it is hard for us to manage the stock levels of that well, and creates its own headaches in production. I think vehcile kits would realstically have to be resin, which is more of the same issue.

So really, just an outline of why vehicles are not really any kind of priority - that could change: if we suddenly had a eureka moment to make it workable we would pursue it, but that moment has not yet happened.

Quote:
Movie inspired campaigns!!!

Think Dr T would make a fantastic Megamind :P although he is a little tall :?


Campaign rules is somehting we want to tackle, and have plans for, while staying true to our core principles of making Pulp City a fast and fun game of tearing apart real estate. :)



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC [ DST ]
Page 1 of 1
14 posts
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum