<  Future plans for Pulp Monsters company  ~  Suggestion: Revised starter sets?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:40 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
I was thinking about team composition. Would it beneficial to launch revised six-model starter sets to create Encounter Level 9 teams? I just ask as it makes an obvious and possibly attractive retail strategy to just add one of the level three boxes on top to create a level 12 set.

Not a problem for those of us who have amassed quite a few minis, but maybe somehting to consider as the game expands to a larger playe base, as a way to entice army building amongst new players.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:41 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
Id think revising the starter sets might be a better plan after/while the full rulebook is out actually.

the final stretch of a full rulebook will likely take its toll on time and other resources so that there likely will be a small gap with lacking new releases, ideal timing for new starter sets, repacking miniatures, maybe add in the loose resculpt here and there (so playtesting would not be a worry at all too.)
also that way the rulebook and starter set release go hand in hand, more convenient for newcomers ;)

that said, a game thats advertised as a "low fee entry" should stay a low fee entry.. I actually dont think a starter set should have the amount of miniatures on the broader scale of gameplay.
also keep in mind, that the current trend most boxes can be "starters" as its often a coupling of miniatures that fit each other and appropiate level combos.

the genesis 3 result especially will be a starterser in a way :) (at least, that were the rules ;))

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:00 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
You can also use boxes like Father Oak & Acorn, Apebot & Virus, or Rook & Francis Gator as level 3 starting boxes. That has been a selling point for my local group when doing demos.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
I like the idea of little starters. It'd be nice to have an ARC starter too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:06 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
For the ARC buy either the Apebot& Virus box or the Howler & Dr. Red box and add Chimp Chi who is sold as a single supreme. That makes a nice little level 4 ARC team.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:37 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 130Location: the NetherlandsJoined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 pm
that goes for several boxes, and as said, I believe its supposed to be a recurring trend.

2 miniatures, one lv1, one lv2 (tough sometimes 3 like whatever entry wins supreme genesis 3.) you can play a level 3 encounter straight out of each box then.

offcourse lv3 / 2 miniatures is pretty much the minimum to start playing pulp city, but that is the point of starter sets right ? to have a minimum to play the game.

what you (topic starter) are referring to would actually be more considerable as armysets/deals (or team sets/deals in the case.) rather than starter sets.
a box that gives content to play a considerably fuller blown game, instead of a starter game ;)

I think it was mentioned in a topic somewhere that potentially deals for that would be available on the online store when the time was there, but I expect that is in regards to a full 12pt team, and not a box either just a deal.

I also read somewhere on ulthar there was toying wether to release them in a bigger box similair to the starter sets, or like regular releases spread out, it was a while back and dont know the current state of that.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:34 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Thanks for the input.
Most likely Ulthars will end up as a new Starter.
I'm thinking about some alternative starters too but with totally new content as I would like to avoid repacking old minis and what I totally hate as a gamer, adding one "alternate" or brand new sculpt to get you to buy it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:17 pm
Morf wrote:
Thanks for the input.
Most likely Ulthars will end up as a new Starter.
I'm thinking about some alternative starters too but with totally new content as I would like to avoid repacking old minis and what I totally hate as a gamer, adding one "alternate" or brand new sculpt to get you to buy it.

I actually didnt even think of that with the alternate (kinda expected people who are into pulp city allready to just buy that one seperate.) but can understand that indeed.

but then when doing a new starter Id almost say, follow the ulthars pattern.
instead of a couple of heroes from all over town, make the heroes starter some sort of xmen/fantastic4/avengers etc. kind of team (not unlike the supreme genesis 3's .. tough the focus being spandex/uniforms instead of teens. and instead of 3 there are more... could even be a supreme genesis 3 aftershock/5 or 6 ;))

maybe making them more startersets than they are now, making it more applyable for stores, including the starter rules as a booklet, dice maybe, and maybe some cutout cardboard terrain and civilians (if thats cheaper than plastic, wich it might very well not be :D )a bit ambigious I know.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:32 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
All following SG will have a theme on gaps in the miniature line.
In fact, all the current ones are just something I overheard here, at the forums.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:21 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 354Location: Tindal, AustraliaJoined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm
I just watched the Justice League movie with my daughter (yay! for chicks who like superhero stuff and sci-fi!), and I must say, I'm looking forward to seeing what the Ulthar look like.