<  Future plans for Pulp Monsters company  ~  Too early, but tournament ideas?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:00 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
It might be a little too premature, but what ideas and brainstorming have been done to handle official tournaments?

What type of format, number of rounds, and what everyone loves, prize support?

Thanks for kicking the ideas around with me!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:26 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Hey,
no, the tournament scene has to kick in at some point, say 6 months from the release. We do intend to keep it campaign oriented (or story oriented) more than hardcore format.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:29 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
That's some great news really! The reason I've stopped playing warmachine and hordes was the ever increased focus on tournaments. Don't get me wrong they're a lot of fun now and again. But too much focus on winning and not enough on fun, you can count me out. I get a little to intense in a tournament setting and it stops being about having fun and becomes about winning. Blah. Just my opinion though. I love scenario play and campaigns with interlocking stories and such.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:19 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
I'm not a tournament player. We have tournaments for WM/Hordes about 4 times a year, but we have events every month. Events that mixes things up. One time we did 1 warcaster vs 1 warcaster in an arena setting with 6 players. i found that any game when played over competitively no longer becomes fun. A couple weeks ago me and a friend did a game where played everything in each other's cases. I had two warcasters he had four, yet it was one of the most fun games I've ever played. Almost killed 3 casters in one turn.

For pulp city I don't plan to introduce tournaments to our group for at least 8 - 12 months. I'd like our local group to just enjoy that game on the level its intended to be enjoyed.

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:04 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
See, I believe there are equally as many people that actually get the kick off of the tournaments as there are the ones that shun the competitiveness of tourneys.

So I assume the walk in between is our way to go. The game has to live. So a story-developing campaign with shop-tournament packs might be cool.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:35 pm
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
I think that's a great idea. It allows competitive players to compete, while those who want to run campaigns an opportunity to have prizes for it.

My Gaming Blog
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:20 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
See that sounds good to me. Warmachine made only the barest token of an effort to introduce campaigns to the game. If you balance it out I'm all for it. A tournament played every now and again is a lot of fun. I just got tired of all tourney all the time attitude.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:46 am
The LawPosts: 107Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:54 pm
I'm going to hop on the anti-tourney band wagon and say that my group would much rather play campaigns than another tourney driven game. The over competative nature of a few people around here pretty much killed our Warmachine scene because every time we pulled in a new player they got sick of being mercilessly smashed by turn 3 every game.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:59 am
Beermonkey wrote:
See that sounds good to me. Warmachine made only the barest token of an effort to introduce campaigns to the game. If you balance it out I'm all for it. A tournament played every now and again is a lot of fun. I just got tired of all tourney all the time attitude.

The books have really good campaigns that seem to me a big effort with maps detachments, etc. and are very fun. It's not mixed in their organized play.

Now having organized play and campaigns mixed in with them is something really new to me and I really look forward to that as a depending on the gaming group they can go either way and play in a competitive tournament format or a friendly campaign format. I prefer the later.

My Gaming Blog
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:03 pm
MortalPosts: 6Location: NetherlandsJoined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:37 am
Well over competeness is irritating if you ask me.
I don't like tournaments for that reason.
And for the reason if tou many people are present and start talking/shouting i lose focus (in a concentration way...).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:54 pm
I am usually tired after 2-3 games at most.
On the Herald program update, we'll be posting a tournament format that we've been testing. Very casual and enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:59 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 36Location: New Jersey, home of addiction.Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:45 pm
ill throw my lot in with tournaments are fun if they are run by the right people. Then again I am a casual player that always goes for what I like rather than what people see as "effective".

I don't see the harm in adding a few notes on what the creators think a mini-campaign or tournament should be like. Those that support the movement would try them out while those that do not of course wouldn't

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:39 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 50Location: CybertronJoined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:48 pm
You could run a year long tournament theme, linked to a major story line, like Crisis or Civil war, which could give a good back ground to legitimate/ believable team-up/ crossover battles.
Plus introduce points of reference for new characters histories.

Alien / undead, invasions.....
Giant monster attacks....
Alternative universe character predicament....

Financial credit crunch ??.no wait, that?s real

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:53 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Yea... you mean that kind of awesome thing where you tiny player lost in the mass of the gaming community can have the illusion of having influence of some kind on your game?

Yeah... :D

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:54 am
You guys have no idea how funny it is that you should mention this. I've been pushing this for a while. I think once we get the Heralds up and running this is a very real possibility. Of course what do I know...