<  Future plans for Pulp Monsters company  ~  A question for the players regarding the new Supremes

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:43 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Since we have some free time awaiting the casts and that means my head is constantly working, I'd like to ask you about some guidance in future releases.

As for the releases plan, my thinking happens on two levels.

1. Fill out both Heroes and Villains with all necessary Supreme templates (and keep it more or less simultaneous):

Bruisers, Tanks, Psykers, Healers, Shooters, Leaders, Manipulators, Support, etc.

2. Build up sub-factions so that gradually you can play your chosen team with a pretty unique gameplay. That will take some time since a playable team with a Leader is 3x Level 1, 3x Level 2 and 1x Level 3 (7 Miniatures).
So far we are striving to even out the teams so that all of them have 2-3 Supremes.

In addition to the teams below, there will be new smaller teams (like Trinity Mercs, Arthur Black or Little Asia) that may not be focal but still fun to play and get involved in the story telling.

As I'd really like to keep the game development open (sanity being the limit), here are some options. Let me know where you'd want us to head.

Heavy Metal: We got Androida and Iron Train, coming up next Dr. Mercury, a very tactical close combat fighter with high Mind (btw, thanks ... Dr. Mercury for the concept) OR Chronin, a time manipulating fragile but powerful swordswoman.

The Coven: We got Twilight, coming up Loup Garou II, a speeder with stat manipulation ability, OR Rook, armored tank.

Blood Watch: We got Hoodoo and Six Feet Under, whom I am about to finish painting, he is a crazy, insane bruiser who gets more powerful with every wound suffered and has some cool chain attacks. Next, either Sgt. Bale, fire manipulation blaster ex-marine, OR Blood Rose, a teleporter/healer.

Necroplane: We got Mourn, a suicidal Mind blaster, and soon, Sanguine, a very flexible Mind/Strength Supreme. This team will see the first Level 3 since Dr. Tenebrous will be quite essential to the story development.

The Forgotten: We got Hellsmith. Coming up: Phalanx, Hellsmith's creation, the Minion Leader and a bit of a tank, OR Efreet, shapechanging fire blaster.

Non-aligned Heroes: Harrier, high self preservation, great for objectives, Action Point stealing flyer, Trail, weak combatant with no damage dealing attacks but hypnotic powers able to manipulate other Supremes.

A.R.C:
Coming up Virus and Apebot as a single release, these guys are hard not to field together.

Coming up in some time, we'll have a little surprise, well, Supremes that are fully compatible with regular Supreme's but yet designed more as story-play characters. If we can make it, first one may be available for GenCon.

So what do you think?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Defender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 113Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:45 pm
I like option 2.

I of course want as many A.R.C. as possible, and Necroplane' as well. But balancing out the groups so that the A.R.C. and Necroplane have other groups to fight sounds is a necessity. Having the smaller subfactions with character driven models is pretty much a must for super hero gaming (either RPG or wargaming).

Having models for each faction in each release will make group building slow, but it allows for balance and hopefully no hurt feelings on part of the purchasing public who would state their faction is not getting any love if other factions are getting more figures in a release than others.

hope that made sense.

CCotD'

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
I like option 2 as well. Especially as I know a lot of people who are interested in this game, but may not want the starter sets (good/bad) to begin with.

Plus, I want to see RRH and her gang. :)

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:56 am
User avatarSuper HeroPosts: 658Location: Spirit of Pulp CityJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:09 pm
I gotta go with option 2 as well. Looks like a lot of good things in store for Pulp City. Really glad I'm making GenCon this year.

My Gaming Blog
http://miniaturemayhem.net/
My Activity Log: Nothing right now. House is still being renovated... :(
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:47 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
I'm going to have to throw in another vote for option 2. Although the idea of balancing out Heroes and Villians seems to be the most "fair" idea it's probably not a great marketing choice. People are going to want to play smaller factions and build teams. Most players are going to strive to be as unique as possible in their army choices. It sucks being the one of the 8 guys that play cryxx around here. My army is just like every other army out there. So being able to say I play ARC, when my oponent specializes in playing the Blood Pack does make a difference.

That being said i would still release at least one heroe and one villian each month. Maybe switch it up a little and build the first 4 teams with some independents thrown in for good measure. One of the things that irks me about the new AT-43 is that you have to wait around 6-8 months to even find out what the next faction is going to be. Bleech!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:58 am
The LawPosts: 107Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:54 pm
As long as the release schedule doesn't get out of hand I don't really mind how things are released. I mean obviously I show great preference towards ARC and would amke no complaints if thats all that got released in the first few months, I really think a 2-3 model a month release will really ease the strain on interesting new people who don't want to drop a ton of money every month on new releases. We've got more than a few people around here who feel they MUST have each new release PP puts out to keep their faction competative and the rapid release rate is slowly but surely convincing them the game is a waste of money. While I don't agree with their philosophy on it being a necessity, I know that it will make or break their interest in a new game.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:51 am
MortalPosts: 15Location: PolandJoined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:45 pm
I'd rather have option 1. Why? Because of the high possibility that every new team will have a slightly better/a few more special options/combos available to them. This not might even be the aim of the Team, it's just so easy to give in to the "wow, if they could do that, that would be so cool!" mentality.
Besides, the game is new, I will enjoy playing without the various sub-factions, they can come in later. Right now I would just like to be given with more options of building my force.
Finally, even though obviously there are folks waiting for teams, there are also those that can get irritated when supplied with one that he/she doesn't like.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:46 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Any suggestion regarding as to which Supremes of the mentioned you would like to see late 2008?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:52 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 88Location: TexasJoined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:42 pm
You should always take into account the non-Pulp City use as well. I think making groups of henchmen or general all around used minis like your robots will bring everyone to the sale even if they don't do superhero gaming.

Most gamers play several systems and a line of minis that allow for cross system play will always bolster those sales. I think you guys have a great base set of goodies and baddie characters to get Pulp City started but I guarantee if you did a cabal of monkey ninjas or a squad of alien invaders you would sell those mothers to just about every Pulp City, Pulp, Sci-Fi and even Fantasy player who plays Pulp City or not.

Brian

PS
Your Chi has been big news on allot of the forums I visit and these guys are hard core painters and collectors and they all love the idea of a monkey ninja army.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:04 pm
HeroPosts: 169Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:54 pm
I vote b, and would like to see the Coven figs out, personally.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:52 pm
Great to hear Brian!
Though nobody likes to admit it outloud, yes, that would be cool if people picked up our stuff to play other games.
I'm especially counting on weird war fans ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:02 pm
HeroPosts: 169Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:54 pm
Yep, currently I had planned to use Grey Gun from Spinespur as an example of a Hired Gun for this game, as an example of using figures for other games.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:28 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 88Location: TexasJoined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:42 pm
I think monkey ninjas fit nicely in any Weird War II game in my opinion.8)

Great stuff,
Brian

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:40 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
To answer your other question Morf here is my list of top picks for the up coming releases.

Coven: Loup Garou II. I love werewolves as much or more than monkeys. Plus I want to see him take a bit out of Hoodoo.

Blood Watch: Blood Rose. Teleporters are cool as heck and healing adds another tactical layer to the game that I'd like to see more of.

Forgotten: Phalanx. Sounds like a nice pairing with Hellsmith and I've stated my problems with minions in the playtest forums long ago. Minion controlers are the only real way to make me field minions with regularity.

The rest of the releases sound really cool so I can't wait to see them all. Plus of course play test them. Speaking of which I'm still waiting to see some new stat cards... :wink: :wink: Hope this helps.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:44 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 288Location: Sydney AustraliaJoined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 am
This is my take on the releases. Be story driven.

Drive the releases by the story you want to tell. Involve character/factions in the storyline/s and build the schedule around that. Have a healthy dose of Unaligned supremes and minions to pad out the releases.

It will be cool to see the sub factions evolve ranks over time. When choosing a faction there are three things to consider:

Background
Figures
Rules.

The actual figures is a big factor when choosing a faction. I will probably collect them all but look forward to sub faction participating in storylines and recruit memebers along the way..

I want to see game balance across all supremes... not balance across sub factions.

So out of the concepts listed...(Not quite sure which ones are a given and which ones you want opinions on.)

Virus and Ape Bot (ARC)
Loup...
Sanguine... and any zombie minions

I know interested party said he would get into the game if he can field an all female faction....

Gotta to collect them all. Whose palm do we have to grease!!!

Jim

Offline Profile