Author Message

<  Future plans for Pulp Monsters company  ~  Painting guide?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:37 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Now I admit I have been playing with toy soldiers for 25 or more years, and my painting is better now than it was years ago (not brilliant, just better than it was :) ). Of course my painting was informed by the GW style inevitably, living in the UK and playing their games mainly.

Seeing the 'European style' in recent years has really opened my eyes:

- NMM
- lighting/light sourcing effects
- blending techniques that put the GW style to shame
etc

Now I know there are online resources, and I know the Darkson did a painting guide a few years ago, but would uou guys consider a clearly explained (both in language and pictures) step by step guidebook to using the techniques employed in painting in the Pulp City universe (sicne these techniques can be used for any minis)?

I picked up the 'How to Paint Fantasy Figures' book by Andrea Press (of Spain), but found that the explanations about various advanced techniques simply aren't clearly explained or detailed enough, so I feel there is a potential gap in the market for such a book - if done well.



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:03 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Well, to me, there are good things about everywhere, and internet is the place to go. You might find good things about anywhere, and I'd say, since everyone has his own sensibility and feeling, what's good for Joe won't be as good for Bob and will maybe even disastrous for Jim. I'd recommend to pick things you like from any source and just don't bother with stuff you don't like or you feel that don't fit with your style.
To give an example, you're talking about GW's "particular" style. That's true it's far from perfect, and I'm never the last to make fun of their 4 steps tutorials to paint a Golden Demon mini. But I happen to think that some of their ideas are good, which a lot of people disagree with, but that's what I want to say, as a subjective "art" (if you can call it that at our level), you have to make the search by yourself, cuz there are no such things as universal-remote-controlled-paintbrushes...
So get inspiration, try to paint at your best level, post the pics on the internet, get advice, go back to your painting table, and repeat. You'll get better...



_________________
John S.'painting completion:
Dr Red 26%
Dr Mercury 100%
Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:51 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
John S. wrote:
Well, to me, there are good things about everywhere, and internet is the place to go. You might find good things about anywhere, and I'd say, since everyone has his own sensibility and feeling, what's good for Joe won't be as good for Bob and will maybe even disastrous for Jim. I'd recommend to pick things you like from any source and just don't bother with stuff you don't like or you feel that don't fit with your style.


A handbook of tips and advice wouldn't go amiss though. A good guidebook isn't a dictat, but simply offers examples to follow. It is a helpful resource, not a representation of 'this is the only way'. I am sorry if you misunderstood my suggestion.

As for the internet, yes fine, but some of us luddites still like to read physical books, hence the suggestion.


Quote:
To give an example, you're talking about GW's "particular" style. That's true it's far from perfect, and I'm never the last to make fun of their 4 steps tutorials to paint a Golden Demon mini. But I happen to think that some of their ideas are good, which a lot of people disagree with, but that's what I want to say, as a subjective "art" (if you can call it that at our level), you have to make the search by yourself, cuz there are no such things as universal-remote-controlled-paintbrushes...


To be honest John, I follow a GW-influenced approach for painting armies since it is something I am comfortable with for painting batches of miniatures.

You may note that I wasn't GW-bashing, just noting that in the current climate of changing tastes a gap in the market for such a book may be present to hobbyists like me.

Quote:
So get inspiration, try to paint at your best level, post the pics on the internet, get advice, go back to your painting table, and repeat. You'll get better...


Yes I may, but sometimes it can be tricky to figure out how to achieve a particular effect and a collection of clearly written tutorials would be something i would pay for, as possibly might other hobbyists.

I am aware that CMoN have plenty of tutorials collated into a pdf - now if that book were available as a print version I'd be good to go. It isn't. Nor is the Darkson book still in print. And having read GW's poor attempt to explain their interpretation of how to achieve NMM in the latest White Dwarf for example, there really is a gap.

Pulp Monsters could (hypothetically) look at creating a basic and advanced techniques book, perhaps incorporating miniatures beyond their own range to braoden appeal. It may also help draw attention to their brand. That is all I suggested John, and I think (and correct me if am wrong, and I apologise if I am) that you missed my point in this.

And if this suggestion is simply a bad idea, then fair enough - no offence taken. :)



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:37 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Well, if I praise the internet thing so much, it is for 2 reasons.

1.Books are nice, but they got a beginning and an end, let along they cost money. Which means they cannot, by essence, gather a very large panel of ideas.

2.Internet is always evolving and the painting community is as well, therefore, it is very easy to find the latest trends and techniques about anything you might like, as well as very good basics.

This is why I'm used to paint either with friends who can provide new points of views, ideas and techniques, either around my computer, which can provide ideas, and for example, if I suddenly find myself facing a difficult step, I can take a quick picture, mail it to my friends or post it on a forum, and the answer is usually quite fast.



_________________
John S.'painting completion:
Dr Red 26%
Dr Mercury 100%
Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:57 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
John S. wrote:
Well, if I praise the internet thing so much, it is for 2 reasons.

1.Books are nice, but they got a beginning and an end, let along they cost money. Which means they cannot, by essence, gather a very large panel of ideas.

2.Internet is always evolving and the painting community is as well, therefore, it is very easy to find the latest trends and techniques about anything you might like, as well as very good basics.

This is why I'm used to paint either with friends who can provide new points of views, ideas and techniques, either around my computer, which can provide ideas, and for example, if I suddenly find myself facing a difficult step, I can take a quick picture, mail it to my friends or post it on a forum, and the answer is usually quite fast.



I am not bashing the internet either...it is good that you (and many others) enjoy the assistance it provides. :)


I just made an observation that for *some* hobbyists, this could be a hypothetical product that *could* possibly find a market. :)


I haven't advocated this as the only way, instead I have just suggested that a company such as Pulp Monsters (or indeed any hobby company that emphasises quality finishing in display of their own products) could maybe find a market for a specific product.



_________________
Pulp Citizen (blog): link
Hairy sticking: TINY!; Red Bella; Slug Muldoon; Painted 154 Pulp City minis;
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:29 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Privateer Press is a good resource that is filling this gap in the marketplace. They have fully launched their P3 line of paints, brushes and supplies. But they have also released a DVD with core modelling and painting techniques. This is great since you really see what is going on in a dynamic way. I also highly recommend their paints. I use almotly all P3's.



_________________
Morf wrote:
Larb is our top secret marketing weapon. He slips something in your drink and "bam" you are registered at the forum!


"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:29 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Check out all Automaton guides on CMON and guildofharmony. This is by far my favorite painter and he really shares his secrets.



_________________
Morf's activity log:
Painting: Khan, the Reaver Lord Watching: True Blood Listening to: Arcade Fire
Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC [ DST ]
Page 1 of 1
7 posts
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
cron