<  Events, People, Places  ~  Secret Wars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:57 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Marvel Superheroes - Secret Wars, did anyone else enjoy it as much as me?

http://pulp-planet.blogspot.com/2011/04/secret-wars.html

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:01 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
That's a great summary of the Secret Wars you've written up.

Marvel's more recent crossovers just don't have the same feel as the old classics. Secret wars wasn't just an excuse to get lots of characters to brawl (though that was cool), but as you pointed out, it was a catalyst for changes that they wanted to make for the characters themselves too.

Very nice review!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:22 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Cheers CBV!

I LOVE Secret Wars, I recently found the collected (as in GN) version at a Jumble Sale for 50p!

So it is all very fresh in my mind!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:17 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
That's a very, very lucky find!

Through the magic of CBRs I've been rediscovering old comics. It's a luxery to be able to go through stuff from the 70s, or earlier and read all the way up to modern issues.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:55 pm
cardboardvampire wrote:
That's a very, very lucky find!

Through the magic of CBRs I've been rediscovering old comics. It's a luxery to be able to go through stuff from the 70s, or earlier and read all the way up to modern issues.

I love CBR's myself!

I adore rummaging through Car Boot Sales and Jumble Sales - I've found some real treasures there!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:42 am
HeroPosts: 209Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 pm
Give me the classic Secret Wars anyday.

That's what gave Spidey the Black Suit and initiated one of the more original uses of weird comic logic in the history of the biz.

I liked the Beyonder and the storylines that came out of the entire Secret Wars concept much more than the somewhat ridiculous Infinity Wars. But I'll take any of the Infinity War series over Final Bright Crisis Zombie Flash Day from DC. That stuff just blows my :MND and crushes my :SPT and takes a :STR to my wallet!

This brand of silliness has gone on so long I only buy one comic from DC anymore, and that's Jonah Hex. I don't even get Batman anymore, and he's the reason I started reading comics.

Well written, excellently drawn stories, featuring the characters I love, in a one shot format, that builds on past history to show growth. Is that too much to ask DC? Apparently it is, for everyone but Jonah Hex.

:(

Sleeping - Actually, yes!
Working - Feverishly to appease the dark gods of the US federal govt, still. Sigh...
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:52 am
You will find modern Marvel will go that way too no its owned by Disney - more money in it . . . .

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:22 pm
I'm not so sure of that... Yes, Marvel's now owned by Disney, but they still have some decent writers working there. Bendis, Factor, David.... They're quality writers who may not be perfect but some of their work is still entirely worth reading.

I don't know, while individual books, or even many of them aren't as good from the big two publishers, I wouldn't count either of them out completely. If nothing else, they still take some chances with new writers and that can sometimes pay off. Even if they do ocasionally come up with monsterously huge mistakes like turning the punisher into a frankenstein-like creature...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:28 pm
Its already happening with some of the titles, plans are in place to "reset" the universe to a more "Heroic" time.

The Nazi's no longer focus Heavily in Captain Americas Origins, its Hydra now.

Expect Sad Times . . . .

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:14 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
I doubt Disney will have much editorial influence over storylines at Marvel, actually.

Back to the original topic, part of the problem is that with comic book sales declining, one of the few boosts that they can count on is the big crossovers, which is why there is *always* one crossover starting when another one is finishing. Secret Invasion, Brightest Day, Fear Itself, Final Crisis, one just rolls into another. And that really waters down the impact of the big crossovers from decades ago.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:22 pm
Scorpio wrote:
I doubt Disney will have much editorial influence over storylines at Marvel, actually.

We shall see . . . . .

Offline Profile WWW