<  Events, People, Places  ~  Games 'N Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:19 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Doctor-Warlock wrote:
Like Linda always says when relatives "comment" on my Hobby - "He doesn't drink, smoke, or gamble" . . . .

Definitely, and my wife has used the same phrase talking to my mother-in-law.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good drink now and then as needed.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:36 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Pretty much just Christmas and other such Celebrations/Holidays

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:00 pm
User avatarMortalPosts: 41Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:22 pm
It's good to know I'm not the only gaming addict on the forum! Though to be fair, the guys at the flgs know that the easiest way to get game specific terrain is to get me hooked on the game that they need it for. So I blame them!

Warhammer 40k - This was my gateway drug into the world of miniature gaming, oh so many years ago. I made the mistake of telling myself that I needed to paint up all of my Orks a few months back and wrote up a list of my collection. After 6 months I'm at 11,000 pts and 86% painted (mini victory for me!). I've just about every army over the years, but currently have orks and eldar. I love the games, though it seems everyone is looking for smaller model count, skirmish games these days. I get to break them out a few times a year for Apocalypse games and the odd league.

Areonautica Imperialis - Forgeworld's tactical dogfight game (using planes from the 40k universe). Although they aren't producing any new miniatures for the game, they still support it on their website. I have a sizable Imperial force and absolutely love that the gameplay adds in the 3rd dimension with altitude.

Pulp City - Its great for bringing new gamers over from the comic book collectors/readers! Not to mention I finally had a suitable reason to have a go at a black and white paint scheme!

Malifaux - We lucked out with Malifaux coming out right when the star wars mini game closed up shop. It gave us a a huge swell of new players from the start and resulted in our flgs becoming the second largest player base in the US (after the creators home base in georgia. We house about 15 playtesters fro mthe 3rd book! :D ). I own the entire Guild faction as well as a Seamus crew (for demos) and Kearis. I love the fluff for the game and the card based system provided a welcome relief from opponents that had fallen into "blaming the dice".

Dystopian Wars - I really enjoy the scale and naval, airforce, ground options for this game. This scale and style is usually restricted to historic games, which I feel under qualified (I'm a casual military buff, so can't really stand with the hardcore military crowd) to participate in. The "exploding d6" mechanic also does great to combat the, "my dice failed me" feelings. I have a Federated States of America force and am hoping to pick up COA, French or Russian fleet, since they are looking spectacular. I think I am more impressed that all the ships are 3d models rather than sculpted. It does wonders for the detail, but I find that from time to time makes it difficult to paint since they are one piece models.

Fairy Meat - A ridiculous concept, but sometimes it is just downright fun to play a game at a 1:1 scale!

Hell Dorado - I just had the rule book placed in my hands a few weeks ago (see above statement about terrain! :lol: ). I'm thinking of either Westerners, Mercenaries, or immortals. The terrain placement rules are really intense, but I really like the success mechanics. Similar to Dystopian Wars, you get a set number of dice to roll and a target number to reach. Each success improves the damage that you deal to the opponent. While I don't have an issue with it, you can come across issues while gaming in a store with a game that centers so strongly around religion.

Warmachine/Hordes - I gave this game a go in the early days of the 2nd edition. I played Cygnar and really enjoyed the mechanics. I ultimately got out of the game, 1) because I had too many games already. 2) privateer press just couldn't keep up with their customer demand. Every time they put out a new model, they stopped producing the old ones to keep up with their production schedule. It meant that new players couldn't get the piece they needed. Ultimately, they had to turn to ebay rather than support their own flgs. It seems like they are getting better about this problem, but like I said, too many games to turn back now!

Axis and Allies: Air Miniatures - This games is a great alternative to Aeronautica Imperialis. The mechanics are nearly identical except that this game runs off of a hex mat rather than using maneuver cards. Which limits the playing area, but saves a lot of time measuring distances and takes the guess work out of firing lanes. My only negatives for the game are the history (again, I'm not a huge airforce history buff) and that its a collectible games, meaning you have no idea what models you are going to get when you buy a booster.

Well those are the current games that I can remember, haha, I'm sure some have been left out, but if thats the case, I guess they haven't been played in a while!