<  Events, People, Places  ~  Games 'N Stuff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:11 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Another thread got derailed with games people collect/enjoy - but I thought it might be nice to have an actual thread for just that.

This thread isn't for just a list of likes, it should also have what forces you have, and why you like the game - that way people can have information at their fingertips to help them make an educated decision before jumping into something new (well, to them LoL).

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:12 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
OK, first post proper - Games I Like!

Pulp City is a given, no point in even talking about factions and forces – as like a few other PC Nutters I simply want to collect them all.

AE-WWII – is another big favourite of mine, I have four Forces (all in different states of assembly/painting) – a US A.R.P.A. Experimental Detachment, a Sonderbuero 13 Experimental Detachment, a British MoOA Occult Detachment, and a German Tech Force.

I would LIKE to do Russians and a US Occult force at some point, but that will depend on Funds (as PC comes first I am afraid, with Frebooter’s Fate and other Pirates a close second).

The Gameplay isn’t the most unique in the world, but that’s actually one of its strengths – its easy to get your head around. The same cannot be said for the force organization, which can give people headaches – HOWEVER upon saying that, once you “get it” it’s actually easier than Points based systems.

Frebooter’s Fate – what can I say, these were the first non Historical Pirate miniatures I ever got – and I fell in love with them straight away. I have two Pirate Crews (both 500 Doubloons) and the start of an Imperial Armada Crew. I would LOVE to get a Brotherhood Crew eventually.

It’s a surprisingly fluid game for a Card based system, Malifaux works differently to FF – and (IMHO) not as well.

With the Amazons and Deep Jungle expansion – the skies the limit for them now, especially with the imminent release of the Equipment Cards to bolster your crews with.

7TV - is a game set alongside the classic sci-fi and action TV shows of the 60s and 70s. The game play is excellent, and it plays fast. The miniatures (that exist, it’s still fairly new) are gorgeous, and are VERY familiar to those are fans of “Cult TV”.
There are even various supplements now (Including a new one due-out soon, with my name in the back as a playtester WOOT) – and the range of miniatures is constantly expanding.

The way the rules are written, you can pretty much use any figure ranges you want that “fit” your “Show”.

Alkemy – though pretty much a dead game "rules-wise" at the moment, miniatures are still being released. I have a Khaliman Force for Alkemy, and would like another Force at some point. The miniatures though cast in the now realized as dodgy “plastic resin” (thanks to Finecast) are gorgeous. I can’t really comment on game-play, as I have yet to play a game (even a solo one) but the rules are simple enough when you read them. Here’s hoping someone does something “proper” with the rules at some point.

In addition to the above - I have various Pirate Miniatures, the Cutlass rules, Ron & Bones etc – but Pulp City, AE-WWII, 7TV, and Freebooter’s Fate remain my “big loves” – I can’t envisage them not being actually!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:34 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 360Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm
right......

games I play (not as much as I'd like)

WARMAHORDES - Sizeable forces painted for Cryx, Menoth and Legion of Everblight as well as Trollbloods and Cygnar! Awesome game, probably the second biggest in the hobby behind gw.....

PULP CITY - Yep....love the setting, and the miniatures....what's not to love :wink:

MALIFAUX - I love the concept and the fluff! Cool card mechanic to play, yet I will admit suffers from a crap-ton of special rules and abilities...However is fun to play because of scenarios and agendas! I have crews for Seamus, Mcmourning, Molly, Rasputina, Lilith and Hamelin....

WORLD OF TWILIGHT - Great simple little game with some really quirky designs! The game's creator Mike is a great friendly chap and I was one of the original playtesters :) I have forces of Fubarnii and Devanu...

games I have stuff for and want to play

DYSTOPIAN WARS - Naval steampunk! Really nice resin models, I have Antarctica and Blazing sun fleets

FIRESTORM ARMADA - Came before Dystopian wars, so pretty similar rules. I have Aquan and Relthoza fleets

FREEBOOTERS FATE - I have a pirate crew and thanks to Drew the rulebook is on it's way :)

INFINITY - Played a couple of games years ago and really want to play again! Was a fantastic game, fast bloody and there's always something to do! I have forces for Nomads and Aleph

Other games I have that have been played.....

A 6mm DRM army for Future war commander, a Lost force for Helldorado, Syntha and gladiators for Urban War, Lawmen and outlaws for LOTOW, 15mm forces for Gruntz and CMG.........

;)

http://masheduppotato.blogspot.com/ my attempt to bring order to my chaos.....
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:40 am
And the Cards mate LoL!

I HOPE I can return to Infinity & Malifaux some day . . . .

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 am
Just started getting into the miniature boardgames too......got Incursion, Gears of War and now Last night on Earth :)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:11 am
The only game I really bother with like that is Okko and good old Grav Ball!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:36 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 148Location: Enfield, North-London, UKJoined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:24 am
OK, I'll chime in:

PULP CITY - don't play nearly enough, (18 months since my last game, but I'm the only one who plays at my club so I have to provide everything needed for a game & my mini collection hasn't really been big enough until recently). But for me the rules are nicely simple to pick up but when you get into them the combination of things you can do makes for fun games with a great comic book feeling (lets face it, a character picking up a car & throwing it at an opponent just doesn't get old :))

MALIFAUX - Quirky miniatures and interesting fluff are my weaknesses when it comes to games and this game has both in spades, I've got 4 starter crews, Resurrectionists (McMourning), Arcanists (Ramos), Guild (the Ortegas) and Outcasts (Bayou Gremlins). I'm currently adding to my Resurecctionists as they're the crew I like the most.
Rules-wise I like the fact that the game isn't about just beating your opponent into oblivion, infact you can still lose the game even if you wipe out your opponent if you haven't completed any of your goals set by the chosen Strategies and Schemes. I also like the fact that you choose the Strategy (aka scenario) for the game before choosing a crew to use and I was pleasantly surprised at how much depth I found in the choices available for achieving different things.

MORDHEIM/NECROMUNDA - The only GW games I play these days, I have a possessed warband for Mordheim and a Cawdor gang for Necromunda.
For me they're everything WHFB & 40k aren't, easy to transport, quick and fun to play, with a campaign system that works really well.

UNCHARTED SEAS - Spartan Games' first game so the rules are basically the same as Firestorm Armada and Dystopian Wars. I have an Orc fleet that's fun to use.
The rules give fun, quick & INCREADIBLY bloody battles that are ususally a blast to be part of.

I really lliked GW's LoTR when it came out and I have a lot of Moria goblins for it but haven't played in years.

VOR: THE MAELSTOM was a great game before FASA went all clix-centric and I have a small Shard force for it, again though I haven't played in years.

Probably my favourite game ever though would be the origional CRIMSON SKIES, I bought it back when it first came out (I don't even want to know how many years ago that was :shock: ). I think it stands somewhere between a wargame and a boardgame and again for me a good mix of mini's and fluff that just really appealed to me.

Boardgames wise I have Last Night on Earth and A Touch of Evil that I find quite fun.

J

My Painting Blog / My Pulp City Downloads
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:46 am
I only listed "living" or not quite dead games LoL!

Starship Troopers - I have MI (all flavours) Skinnies, and Bugs.

VOR - I have Shard, Pharon, Union, and Neo-Soviet.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:35 pm
Yep forgot about Starship troopers! I have arachnids and mobile infantry :)

Also forgot for Bushido I have the Cult of Yurei....

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:27 pm
Im still on the Fence over Bushido (and not just cos of money), I also fancy Eden and Carnivale.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:02 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
My games: Most of which I play with my son.
Pulp City - Pretty much play a couple of times a month, but more lately due to new models.

Warmachine/Hordes – I play Cryx and Legion, my son plays Cygnar and Circle. I love this game and which we could play more often.

Warhammer 40K/Fantasy – I play Tyranids and Tomb Kings, my son plays Blood Angels and Brittonians. We have yet to play a game of Fantasy and have only ever played a handful of 40K games. I like the game, but I like the models more.

Vortex – This has become one of my favorite games. The game play is great and very flexible. The thing that I love the most is that you can use any model from any company. There are desing rule in the rulebook to let you design the stats according to the model. I highly recommend this game.

Battletech – Giant Mechs, this was one of my earliest forays into wargamming and still one of my favs. I have probably 500 mechs about 400 of which need painting.

Baybylon 5: A Call to Arms – In my opinion still one of the best space combat games made, despite the fact that it is no longer being made.

Anima Tactics – Love the game and they have some of the most gorgeous minis out there.

Wargods of Aegyptus/Hyperborea – I love the models for this game, the game mechanics are sound, but there are others I like better (Vortex) I hope that the company can bounce back and get some more models out.

AE:WWII – I have the US and German factions for this game, but they still need to be painted, as do most of my models.

Star Trek: A Call to Arms – I have a couple of ships that Mongoose sent me to do demos with and love the game play. I was really excited when they first announced that the ships would be resin, then they had all kinds of problems with quality, which seems to be mongooses worst enemy and decided to go back to metal, which put a bad taste in my mouth. The Star Trek models are so thin in places that are to be glue points that you will constantly be re-gluing the nacelles on the ships.

Spinespur – Love the game and the minis, just wish Merv could get things a little more regular. I understand that he has had some more serious issue in life to deal with and I will wait patiently for the games return.

Malifaux - Love this game and the minis, just wish I had more time to play. I need to get my son into this so I'll have someone to play with on a regular basis.

Starship Troopers - Have a ton of minis and still love to play it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:17 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
I am a game-a-holic. That's the official term. You can also use another term like game whore.

However, the following are things that I've been into the longest as well as those that I enjoy the most.

1. Various board and card games simply because of the prep time is minimal. My favorites at the moment? Pandemic and Sentinels of the Multiverse. Reoccurring favorites include Poo, Hex Hex, Gears of War, and Telestrations. You must own Telestrations.

2. RPGs- I love me a good RPG, but for some reason can't get a campaign going to save my life. D&D, Shadowrun, Against the Darkness, and if I could run a continuous game, SJGames In Nomine.

Now, on to the miniatures:
Pulp City- Enough said

AE: Bounty. This game got me into AE: WWII.

Hell Dorado- The minis are amazing. I fell in love with the models several years ago, but didn't start playing until Cipher got the game.

Warmachine and Hordes. I've been playing since 2003 and have a minimum of 35 points for the following at my disposal: All Warmachine factions, all Hordes factions except Skorne. I don't think I could I throw down a merc Horde faction either. I have easily 95% of the models for Cryx and Legion, and probably 80% for Kahdor and Cygnar, roughly 65% of Mercs.

Tomorrows War- a unique 15mm hard sci-fi squad based tactical mini game that is a blast. The rules are different that you'd expect, and there are no army points nor "slots" to fill in order to play. 15mm is also cheap compared to 28mm.

Malifaux- Traded off a ton of Dark Age Games stuff to get 3 50 SS worth of models for Mercs, Ressurectionists, and ???? forget the third faction.

Blackwater Gulch by Gangfight Games- I just got into this old west shoot out game and it's simple and fast. Very deadly.

I own
* Infnity (3 starters) and collect the Combined Army.
* Two small squads of gears for Heavy Gear and would love to learn how to play this
* Plus a ton of random things from various manufacturers, suppliers, etc.

About the only thing I'm missing is an airplane/space game, but I do own a whole crap ton of planes for Canvas Eagles and Blue Maxx, which both are great fun to shoot down your opponents planes. I just don't play except when I see the game at conventions and join in.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:21 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
varagon wrote:
I am a game-a-holic. That's the official term...

I hope you have been attending your GA meetings! :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:40 pm
Like Linda always says when relatives "comment" on my Hobby - "He doesn't drink, smoke, or gamble" . . . .

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:46 pm
Oh, and I suppose I should include Hydra Miniatures/Fantastic Worlds in my list now - after Lindas wonderful Easter present.

Offline Profile WWW