<  Hero/Villain Tactics  ~  CHIMP CHI LVL 1 MYSTERY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:20 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
ERRATA

Shuriken
RNG 5

Team Power - Sneaky Git:
Chi is placed before Citizens are placed.

NAME: Chimp Chi
SUBFACTION: Ape Revolution Committee

FUNCTION: Assassin/Flanking Distraction

BRIEF: Chimp Chi is a very tricky little monkey. He does his job as a ninja very well. When played correctly he'll give your opponent fits. He can be very difficult to catch, especially with ranged combat. He has a lot of health for a level 1 supreme. When Chimp Chi springs from the shadows he can hit like a level 3 supreme!

POWERS: Chimp Chi is all about delivering a lethal blow with his San-En Ninjaken sword. He can sneak through the shadow and land extremely powerful attacks. But once he does, he can be very vulnerable.

Chimp Chi has excellent skills. First is Blend 3. This is a huge bonus to :AGL when near a terrain element. It really helps him survive while maneuvering towards a juicy target for close combat. Keep him near terrain whenever possible! Wallcrawler adds to his love for terrain by letting him walk over and through terrain that would slow other melee powerhouses. Fury 1 helps him do his job, once in close quarters with his prey.

Ape Ki is a key ability for Chimp Chi. If a game goes by without using this, he is a sad monkey. This huge boost to :STR comes with a stiff price. A :DEF 0 can easily get you taken out. They key here is to ideally save Chimp Chi's attack until the end of the round. Save your AP's and carefully count the AP's on enemy supremes. Once a target is full, spring the trap and send in Chimp Chi. He can Ape Ki late in the round when the other player has fewer options to capitalize on the frightenly low :DEF .

Wind Strike an another great ability to keep this ninja out of trouble. He can combine it with a Move* action to really push enemy models around the city streets, or to push them away and run away.

His Shuriken is a handy tool for slowing down models he wants to get into close combat with. It can be especially lethal versus flying models. If he damages a model that is Up up and away! it will plummet to the ground and be knocked down with one less movement action. That single remaining movement action will most likely be spent to Get Up*. Heaven help the flying model who has already used a move action this round. Keep in mind that in the revisaed verion of the core rules, the bonus to :AGL from Blend will not add to the opposed roll for the Shuriken.

Kage Shibari is somewhat situational but can be a very useful action. It allows Chimp Chi to decide who he wants to be in close combat with. If he is facing a very tough supreme, he can use this skill to instead sneak over to take out a close support model instead.

His Team Power is very handy. It lets him begin the game next to a terrain element and closer to the enemy. Because he excels at dodging bullets, this is not a bad thing. He can be a distraciton while the rest of your team moves into place. He should always start near terrain for the Blend bonus.

Chimp Chi should pretty much always take his exclusive resource, the San-En Ninjaken. It has three choices for special effects when he does damage with a Strike. I generally use the +2 to damage bonus, but the other two have good uses as well. He can particularly shut down :MND -based supremes.

WEAKNESSES: Chimp Chi has three major weaknesses. The most glaring is the :DEF 0 when he uses Ape Ki. This skill must be used very carefully, ideally at the very end of the round. Second, he has an unimpressive :SPT 3 and can fall prey to attacks versus this attribute. Third is is ability to get too far ahead of the team and get ganged up on by more than he can handle. He is a great distraction, but do not throw this little ninja monkey to the dogs.

SYNERGIES: Chimp Chi is great with slower supremes and ranged based supremes. He can provide distraction and even take out close combat supremes who can threaten your heavy hitters. It should be mentioned that Trail is a good partner for Chimp Chi. Pawns can put an enemy right in place to be pounced by Chimp Chi. Increased Probobability makes the monkey hit harder and stay up longer, really at the Level 2 supreme tier. With this buff, plus Ape Ki, he can hit with a :STR 9! A Second Ahead can be great when combined with Kage Shibari.

Last edited by Invader Larb on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:21 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Nice work on this Matt. Couple things you need to fix though: You can't power up strike as Chimp Chi doesn't have a :STR Trump. Blend also doesn't add to Shuriken... only adds to :AGL when Targeted by ranged attacks. Other than that really nice. Oh don't forget that Wallcrawler will let Chimp Chi drop on victims from above without taking any damage from a fall himself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:42 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Oops. The Power Up remark has been removed. That's what I get for typing it first thing in the morning.

Are we sure Blend does not add to :AGL for the Shuriken? All I see in the rule book is that it adds to :AGL when close to terrain. I checked and there is no other stipulations. This may be a problem that needs errata or a change to the Blend rule. But I don't know of anything that would indicate otherwise.

Morf?

"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:24 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Yeah, that issue is being addressed in the revision. Only when rolling against somebody's attacks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:02 pm
I actually prefer that. There is no need for the Shuriken to be that lethal. I'll make a note above.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:04 pm
MortalPosts: 20Location: Jersey City, NJJoined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:16 pm
I might be missing something, but can anyone tell me what the range on the shuriken is cuz i don't see one but i know it's a PR?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:05 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
immorfeus wrote:
I might be missing something, but can anyone tell me what the range on the shuriken is cuz i don't see one but i know it's a PR?

RNG 5; the printed cards list the range thankfully.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:07 pm
MortalPosts: 20Location: Jersey City, NJJoined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:16 pm
ok thanks!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:27 am
MortalPosts: 22Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:15 am
Does anyone have a view on what would be a good combo model set with Chimp Chi? So far I have Sister Bedlam, Tangent, Supreme Zed and Sanguine with his dog (which I picked up at the Salute show in London). I really like the monkey/ape models and would like to mix them into a good Villain team.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 pm
Welcome!

There are several options to help my little monkey friend. Guerrila can increase his Fury to 2 with Monkey Business. Dr. Red can buff with Planning to make Chimp Chi extremely mobile (excellent for scenarios on top of Chimp Chi's team power). Red Alpha can potentially even increase his AP cap.

Tanget is also a great buff model who you already own. She can Analyze an opponent before Chimp Chi goes in to make his attack. Additionally if you have a couple ARC models she can become ARC with her Merc skill. Sister Bedlam can help keep him alive. Meanwhile the enemy needs to deal with your Super Zed.

Another fun option would be to go with a model like Seabolt who can serve up enemy models for Chimp chi to attack.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:16 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
I guess the first question is whether you're looking for a Level 1 or a Level 2? Because Sanguine can be fielded either way it's unclear what slot you're looking to fill.

2: Tangent, Supreme Zed, Sanguine?
1: Chimp Chi, Sister Bedlam, Sanguine?

If you like Apes and are planning to build an Ape team then I would second Guerilla. He seems like the backbone of an Ape themed force due to Monkey Business and just being a versatile model.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:19 pm
MortalPosts: 22Location: Crawley, UKJoined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:15 am
Thanks for the tips. Chimp Chi has since been very good in my first game, I like using him near buildings/cover which makes him hard to hit at range.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:56 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 56Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 am
Ape Ki is incredible! I got it off tonight against my buddies Guerrilla. I rolled a 6 and had Speak No Evil on the sword. It was awesome. Dynamite comes in small packages...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:19 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Yup!! Love Chimp Chi! If you use him like a ninja he kills like a ninja. I ran demo's all weekend at PortCon. During one game my opponent threw Chimp-Chi off a building to land on Blood Rose doing 4 Damage and followed that up with an Ape Ki for another 10! Poor Blood Rose lost her head. It was great.