<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Starter boxes, feedback welcomed

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:10 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
So I have this huge pile of boxes standing in my basement and in the garage and I recently noticed that what seemed like a huge starter print (trust me, there were thousands of those small boxes) is getting smaller and smaller.

What happens when I run out of them?

Easiest option is to print another batch (minimal volumes would be 1000 of each), while it would be less work, it actually be kinda stupid business wise as selling each next will get harder and harder. Market is getting more full and full.

Harder option is to come up with some new starters (I'm thinking Level 6 - that is 4 Sups, good start; most likely not-subfaction aligned) and do something about the orphans of the sets.

Iron Train and Androida (I want a new sculpt) will look great in a 2-mini Heavy Metal box.
Solar will get his Level 1 card in the new expansion box.

Guerilla can enhance Chimp Chi in an expansion set.

What about the rest?
Any ideas? What do you think about this one?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:39 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
If I understand correctly, the issue is to make the (new) Starter sets attractive, while also having a vehicle for the existing minis (excepting those that will be replaced possibly).

So does that mean that revised Starter sets can essentially only feature those minis used originally? If so the options are limited since there are only 2 L1's in each and this is harder if in time you want to replace Androida.

If thinking a little more widely and broadly, and even thinking of taking out some of the traditionals, I would look at a Brawler-Blaster-Support-All-Rounder for each.

Heroes
Brawler - Harrier
Blaster - Ace of Wraiths
Support - Red Riding Hoodoo
All-Rounder - Solar

Villains
Brawler - Hellsmith
Blaster - Gentleman
Support - Mourn
All-Rounder - Guerilla

That would show off the breadth of characters and character types. Of course then you have some repacks to do. That leaves Iron Train and Androida to re-bundle, maybe Nuke and Twilight together, and takes Mourn and Harrier out of the singles. It gives both teams flyers, puts both Greed models in the starters (giving cross-compatability for those buying both sets), and each Team has good ranged models and a couple of Supreme options for scenery manipulation actions.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:52 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Could you not have a generic Villain and a generic Hero Starter packaging which would allow you to change the contents over time.

It would keep the starters Fresh, and possibly generate sales amongst established Customers when the "mix" changes.

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:00 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Doctor-Warlock wrote:
Could you not have a generic Villain and a generic Hero Starter packaging which would allow you to change the contents over time.

It would keep the starters Fresh, and possibly generate sales amongst established Customers when the "mix" changes.

Since they are not transparent blisters, the contents would still need to be shown, so that probably wouldn't work I guess, since printed packaging would still be required to sell the packs.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:22 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Loads of Starter Sets come with generic packaging, 40k & WFB just to name but two really successful ones - only the backs illustrate the contents - the fronts have appropriate "art".

The backs changing could easily be achieved with an adhesive sheet which would have a lower print cost than the Boxes, if the backs were blank there would be no "show through" either.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:09 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Doctor-Warlock wrote:

Actually that is one of the options: new Hero and new Villain starter, only new Supremes in it. This would be a win-win situation for old fan base and new customers who want an affordable way of getting into the game.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:11 pm
All I was concerned with is printing costs, I know that can be pricey!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:27 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
What is wrong with making them sub-faction aligned? I know a LOT of people have mentioned that they are just waiting for complete teams to jump into the game. I understand you'll continue adding to the teams, but to me, that seems natural.

Perhaps having sub-faction starters you'd end up with too many starter boxes: Necroplane, Heavy Metal, A.R.C., the Forgotten, etc... That is a lot of starters once you start adding it up.

I suppose as well that if you have a mixed starter set, people have two or three model sub-factions; which might in turn lead people to collect all sub-factions, not just one; therefore more money for Pulp Monsters.

I'll have to look and see what I'd prefer by looking at all the minis as a whole and report back.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:33 pm
It is when you consider the price of short run printing with the boxes, plus you can't really predict how many of each "Faction" Box would sell.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:42 pm
HeroPosts: 209Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 pm
What if all the boxes were generic for Heroes and Villains and there was just a slip of paper in them showing each final painted and assembled model?

The paper slips would be print on demand. Morf could look at who had ordered what, and print out the slips and model cards while packing the box. The contents of the box could be denoted on the exterior via a simple sticker or UPC.

A lot of people have commented on how much they like the detailed packaging, so to specialize it somewhat Morf could add features based on what was going on that year for the game for either the heroes or the villains. For example, how about next years boxes showing newspaper clippings of the new Ulthar invasion along with graphics of a hero or a villain fighting aliens?

This way, there would be no real difference between a sub-faction box or a starter box or an expansion and any packaging from a prior year could still be used in later seasons. It would let Morf optimize the amount of packaging that is needed and reduce the required storage space. E.g., if any model can go in the boxes, then you don't need as many boxes and all the boxes you do need are just of the one type.

Just a thought.

Sleeping - Actually, yes!
Working - Feverishly to appease the dark gods of the US federal govt, still. Sigh...
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:30 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
When I started, I wasn't sure I wanted everyone in the starters. I got them anyway because I'm buying most of the line but honestly if I was just planning to play "my" team or a few related teams I'm not sure I would. They're a good deal financially, and they're the only practical way to get some minis. If I want Hoodoo's wolf for instance I'm forced to get the starter. Also, online retailers only tend to stock the packs and not very many single figures so any model not in a 2-pack is hard to get.

But, I may not want all the models in the starter. The odds of that are increased because they do not fit any theme. They may not be entirely randomly selected, but the models chosen have no apparent relation to each other.

So, I would vote for themed starters as being the "best" route provided that it's economically viable. Create level 5 or 6 themed starters (6 would be better) and I think new players will be attracted to the opportunity to start a themed team (which usually also means a competitive team because they fit well together) for a single discounted price compared to buying them as separates.

Morf will have to answer whether this is financially possible or not, I have no idea on that front. It would also mean in some cases having to push to get one more mini out for some themes for them to make their "quota" in order to have a complete boxed set.

For instance:

ARC: Guerilla, Apebot, Virus, Chimp-Chi (and there's already a Dr. Red/Howler "expansion box")
Blood Watch: Sgt. Bale, Six Feet Under, Blood Rose, Red Riding Hoodoo (and wolf, so this one costs a little more)
Heavy Metal: Iron Train, Dr. Mercury, Chronin, Androida

etc...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:34 pm
Theme boxes would be sexy as Monkey Fudge, but the problem with them would be WHAT to include as the serious collectors have bits (if not all) of everything!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:32 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 263Location: Atlanta, GAJoined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm
I think starter boxes are mostly intended for starting players though. It doesn't matter if people with a collection find them useful, we've already got the figures.

Regarding the option mentioned about having starters of all-new stuff. That sounds cool but mostly just because I'd be able to buy a ton of new figures at a discount. That's all. I'm not sure how it's worth doing and holding all those models until enough of them existed to fill two starters. In fact, even with the savings, I think I'd rather get the models as they are ready (ie - soooner) than wait for a bunch of them to be completed.

So yeah, I'm going to vote for Level 6 starters based around subfactions and then focus on eventually having a 2-model "expansion" box for each subfaction designed to add onto the starter and bring them up to a Level 8 force.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:35 pm
Morfs marketing is lovely to be honest, some of the highest quality stuff I've ever seen!

His only real concern seems to be the longevity of the Starter Sets, I know I plan to buy another set of each for eventual demoing.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 pm
HeroPosts: 209Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 pm
dboeren wrote:
I think starter boxes are mostly intended for starting players though. It doesn't matter if people with a collection find them useful, we've already got the figures.

Regarding the option mentioned about having starters of all-new stuff. That sounds cool but mostly just because I'd be able to buy a ton of new figures at a discount. That's all. I'm not sure how it's worth doing and holding all those models until enough of them existed to fill two starters. In fact, even with the savings, I think I'd rather get the models as they are ready (ie - soooner) than wait for a bunch of them to be completed.

So yeah, I'm going to vote for Level 6 starters based around subfactions and then focus on eventually having a 2-model "expansion" box for each subfaction designed to add onto the starter and bring them up to a Level 8 force.

I agree with this. That would be great.

Sleeping - Actually, yes!
Working - Feverishly to appease the dark gods of the US federal govt, still. Sigh...
Offline Profile