<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Road to Pulp City Chapter 1: Skills

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:43 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
As some of you may know, I took a couple of weeks off (almost) from my primary job (I well managed the company so it can run for a couple of weeks without me 8) ) and I am wrapping up the book.

It turns out to have a nice balance of roughly 33% of core rules, 33% of customizing rules (Minions, lots of gameplay options) and 33% of fluff.
Since our GenCon tournament will be already run on the new rules, we'll be previewing them pretty regularly in the upcoming weeks.
I'll try to create a section on the main site.

First, something nice and easy. New and modified Skills.
This is nowhere near complete, just highlighting the bigger changes.

Annoying: Some Supremes are annoyingly good at avoiding direct confrontation. The model ignores the enemy model?s Charge?s binding effect when wanting to leave Base to Base Condition. The model is always Immune/Free Strikes.

Armored: You don?t have to dodge if the bullet?s splat against your armor! An Armored model may use :DEF rating instead of :AGL when defending against :STR and :ENG attacks. In such cases, a :DEF Trump Roll or Power-Up may not be used.

(sidenote, new Skill Nimble is just the reverse of Armored)

Blend (X):
Add X to your :AGL Opposed Rolls when defending against hostile Ranged Combat Actions while in Base to Base with a piece of scenery. The scenery must be larger than the model and wider than its base. A model does not benefit from Blend if it is in Base to Base with an enemy model.

Damage Source (X): Some Damage in Pulp City comes from specific sources . If the Supreme possesses one of the listed below Skills or an Action uses the source in its name or description, all Damage from :ENG Actions is considered as having that skill as a Source for the purpose of Immune/X or Weakness/X Skills. Universal Damage Sources are: Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Darkness, Light, Nuclear, Holy, and Unholy.

Freelancer: Before the Starting Roll, the Supreme may drop their subfaction allegiance(s) as if it wasn?t printed on its card. The change lasts for the duration of the Encounter.

Immune/ :MND : Immunity to :MND is an exception to the Immunity rule. Whenever targeted or affected by a :MND based Action, the model ignores of all of the Action?s effects (benefits or/and harmful effects) but it still suffers Damage from it. :MND based Actions that deal no Damage do not affect these models at all.

Living: All Supremes and Minions are assumed to automatically possess that skill unless they are Mechanical or Non Living. Some game effects specifically target Living models.

Mount (X): Models with Mount skill are treated like an upgrade to X models. X model adds all of the Mount?s Traits modifiers, AP modifiers, skills and Actions to its own. Treat them as if they were printed on X?s card. Mount and X are treated as one model in all respects. Whenever X suffers Damage, mark the Damage first on Mount?s card. Whenever the Mount loses its last point of Damage, it is Eliminated, its model possibly replaced with X model which loses all Mount benefits. Model X may only benefit from one mount at a time. Mounted models may not enter buildings.

Quadruped: Some Supremes either move on all fours or can choose between two forms of movement. A Quadruped Supreme may never voluntarily become Burdened nor use Actions granted through Agendas. It may only use Exclusive Resources and can never be a Commanding Supreme. The Quadruped benefits from Blitzer 2 that stacks with any other Blitzer values and adds an additional +1 to all its Opposed Rolls when using Charge for a total of +2.

Vengeful: If a Vengeful model is damaged, it must attack its attacker. The Vengeful model?s next Combat Action in the same Round must target the wounding model if it is an eligible target. The Vengeful model adds +1 to that Opposed Roll.

Weakness (X):
Whenever a model with Weakness is the target of an Action that:
a/is initiated by X
b/is initiated by a model with X skill
c/has X in its description.
That model may not Power-Up against it nor use its Trump Trait Roll and suffers 1 extra point of Damage if it would suffer any Damage from it.

There is a couple more new ones but they are highly related to the general mechanics changes, so keep your eyes open.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:06 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
All very interesting!

Nicely Nicely, keep it coming :D

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:10 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Awesome! Thanks for the update, Morf!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:51 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Morf wrote:
...Damage Source (X): Some Damage in Pulp City comes from specific sources . If the Supreme possesses one of the listed below Skills or an Action uses the source in its name or description, all Damage from :ENG Actions is considered as having that skill as a Source for the purpose of Immune/X or Weakness/X Skills. Universal Damage Sources are: Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Darkness, Light, Nuclear, Holy, and Unholy.

In a funny way, this is one of my favourites, not because of the mechanics, but it mentions a couple of 'tags' we haven't yet seen, showing that for the game and range there is still lots of untold potential. I love little things like this.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:30 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
I can't wait to see these as a complete set.

Is the plan to release these at Gen Con or before?

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:04 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
All changes needed to play will be released sooner, before GenCon.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:58 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 28Location: Sandhausen (Germany)Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:40 pm
cool, i like the "mount" rule and "quadruped", it's like a promise to get really freaky :)

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:54 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
yeah! book! preview! new stuff! yeah!

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:47 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
I can't tell you all how good it feels to see the new stuff made public. It's been a heroic tasking getting everything done. Just so you know we're still at it. 10+ emails a day as we edit, refine, clarify and solidify the final rules. I think it's safe to say that what you will see at the end of this process is an amazing, fun, flexible game that represents comic book style Supers. I'm immensely proud to be able to say I've contributed anything to this game.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:00 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Beermonkey wrote:
I can't tell you all how good it feels to see the new stuff made public. It's been a heroic tasking getting everything done. Just so you know we're still at it. 10+ emails a day as we edit, refine, clarify and solidify the final rules. I think it's safe to say that what you will see at the end of this process is an amazing, fun, flexible game that represents comic book style Supers. I'm immensely proud to be able to say I've contributed anything to this game.

Remember, if you need another set eyes before publish day, I'm available.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:42 pm
Beermonkey wrote:

Believe me, I know wht you're talking about. A few friends and I are currently trying to pull off a boardgame of our own, and I can say that making sure that everything is perfectly balanced, clarified, fun, etc is an overwhelming load of work that never seems to end. Big thumbs up to you guys!

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:49 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
John S. wrote:
A few friends and I are currently trying to pull off a boardgame of our own, and I can say that making sure that everything is perfectly balanced, clarified, fun, etc is an overwhelming load of work that never seems to end.

Hard isn't it, I'm having difficulties with just an RPG supplement!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:10 pm
Doctor-Warlock wrote:
John S. wrote:
A few friends and I are currently trying to pull off a boardgame of our own, and I can say that making sure that everything is perfectly balanced, clarified, fun, etc is an overwhelming load of work that never seems to end.

Hard isn't it, I'm having difficulties with just an RPG supplement!

I like my game, that's not the point, but there is a huge gap between playing it and actually teaching and enticing people into playing it, and explaining how to do it in a fun and clear way, all that through a piece of paper with words and pictures on it...

Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:21 pm
John S. wrote:
there is a huge gap between playing it and actually teaching and enticing people into playing it, and explaining how to do it in a fun and clear way, all that through a piece of paper with words and pictures on it...

All so Very true . . . . . .

Offline Profile WWW