<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  Pulp City at GenCon (PIC HEAVY)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:23 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Finally, got some time for a short report!

TUE: We got to Indy, my lungs refused to process the hot air! I've met with Will in Cincinnati and had a connecting flight to Indy, for the rest of the evening I served as a cab driver picking up people from the airport. Our favorite Days Inn (still called Airport even though airport moved away!) had change the owenership and things were not looking as cool as they used to.

WED: Most of the packages made it, except the one with banners that got stuck at the customs. Booth setup was quite easy, as Joel from Cipher pre-planned everything.
GenCon decided to save some on exhibitors and had the AC turned off for the bigger part of the day and the lights were dimmed so that I felt like a mole by the time we were done. Our are was truly impressive. Not only we had the best skirmish booth but also were neighbors with Wyrd guys and Crocodile Games. Why ask for more?
Two booth stars, Hell Dorado Bob (varagon) and Devon (Beermonkey) showed up - it was a pleasure to meet them in person!

THU: Plain madness! My alarm didn't go off and we overslept! Fortunately we were there on time and when the gates opened, I could say this was the most packed GenCon Thu I've ever seen! Bob and Devon were amazing at demos, stuff was flying off the shelves and we ran out of Silverager by the end of the day, fortunately had some more in stock! Bob took great care of setting up the demon schedules and a lot of PC friendly faces showed up and earned hard their Herald Points.
By the end of the day, my legs felt like they are ready to go their own way to some leg heaven. We still managed to grab some great beer with Devon, Bob and Evan (Lando) and talk about Pulp City!

FRI: Little less traffic, but this was the day for me to see the great job Todd (Totengraber) was doing throughout the con. Anybody who played the Ulthar event can confirm - the table looked great and the four-way battle between 2 Ulthar parties and Heroes and Villains ended up in a marginal defenders win, mostly thanks to Libra being smashed through the wall by Giant Hadron. Another highlight of the game was Apebot climbing on the rooftop and turning to Ulthar Sagittari into ulthar-missiles.

SAT: Saw the first PC tournament, I was really happy to see the vast selection of models on the table! After Round 2, nobody had a clean 2-win record, the games got crazy! Some of the VIS (Very important Supremes) were Kyle's Supreme Zed holding onto the quest objective, Hoj's crazy Dr. Red blowing up everything including himself (I think the record was 6 charges at the time) and Chris' beautifully painted Jones amongst the others.
The 2010 Champ, Aaron Skrivanek managed to do a good job of scoring on the objectives with some surgical precision. Kyle won the best painted for his army of Villains.
Big thanks to Todd for keeping the tournament precisely on time, everything ran very smoothly.

SUN: Was like the afterglow of three days! Finally ventured out to do some shopping! The day was over in no time and GenCon 2010 was history!

NOW Credits list: to my crew, Bob, Devon and Will for their awesome booth job!
To all Heralds showing up to help us, Ron, Brandon and Kyle!
To Cipher crew: Kai, Joel and Dave and Tom, to Przemek from MaxMini, to Rob, Chris (pleasure to finally meet you Sir, felt like I've known you for ages), Maurice, Paul and Aaron.
To Todd, for running all the events and helping out with beautiful terrain. Kudos to Tabletop Gamers, not only I am lucky to count most of them as my friends, but they are also the best hobby support/demo teams out there!

Look, the GenConers have all Blitzer 3 this year!
Bob of many names just finished his best demo of the Con
Me, Devon and Bob and a present I got from them (can you find it?)
Mr. Zylewicz and Mr. Kingery chilling at our Paint-and-Take
Champion to be, Aaron, and the man behind the stage, Todd
Devon plans the zombie invasion. Yes sir, the invasion points are ready
Quest Plot table - gotta love the desert adventures outside of Pulp City
Kyle's awesome team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:07 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Sweet. I"m glad you shared. Cherished memories all of them.

Thanks Morf, it was a blast, and a big thanks to all the other booth people!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:44 am
User avatarHeroPosts: 202Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 am
yo painted minis ther ... -_-' i will force you to come on painters mitting (end bring minis :P)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:58 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
I AM EVEN MORE GUTTED I MISSED IT NOW GRRRR!

LMAO!

I'm really glad it was such a great success!

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:02 am
HeraldPosts: 35Location: Lake Villa, ILJoined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:58 am
Best time ever! Thanks a ton to all the Pulp guys making my Gen Con what it was. Ulthar event was AWESOME! Tourney was AWESOME! I beat my brother at painting (woohoo!) And I got to play some diverse teams as opponents. (One hero. One Villian. One Monkey!)

Thanks again Mac, You were once again the highlight of my con and I can't stress enough how much more I love the game just due to the fact that a great guy is behind it!

-Kyle Dalton

I'm off to write up like 6 supreme Ideas I have, just incase a supreme genesis pops up! Kesler needs a representation in the game! And so does Cole! (If you know what I'm talking about then you know how AMAZING it would be!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:04 pm
HeraldPosts: 174Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm
Thanks for the compliments, Morf! The "Best Skirmish Gaming Booth" (tm) was awesome! I visited a number of times and the guys seemed pretty busy most of the time I was there. It was nice seeing that you had to restock the shelves at least once. That means there are a bunch of folks out there holding the best superhero miniatures on the market; now to get them playing the game!

This year's Gen Con was a little odd in that Thursday was crazy-busy in the dealer hall, Friday a little less so and Saturday was pretty full, but not as bad as previous years.

I had a great time helping run the Ulthar Invasion event and the tournament. Kudos go out to Morf and Beermonkey for their amazing knowledge of the rules. Being only able to get in many games right before and during Gen Con, I forget a good number of things. I really appreciate all the folks showing up who did, both events were a blast to observe!

Here's to making next year even better!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:17 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
I had a great time this year and plan to help out even more next year. I t was really great working in the booth (my first time at GC). I am already trying to set up a local tournament and will be sure to post details when all is finalized.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:37 pm
MortalPosts: 8Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:29 pm
I'll be watching for the Bubba Hotpants Tourney. :)

James / Nezeray

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:49 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
nezeray wrote:

James / Nezeray

Aye carumba! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:30 pm
MortalPosts: 8Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:29 pm
leonmallett wrote:
nezeray wrote:

James / Nezeray

Aye carumba! :shock:

Fear not, just an inside joke. :)

James / Nezeray

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:09 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
You Southern boys scare me sometimes!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:04 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
You Southern boys scare me sometimes!

Be afraid, be very afraid!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:31 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
I've meet you. I am. Very, very afraid. :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:29 pm
HeroPosts: 209Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 pm
The south will rise again :D

Sleeping - Actually, yes!
Working - Feverishly to appease the dark gods of the US federal govt, still. Sigh...
Offline Profile