<  From Pulp City HQ  ~  New player questions about current Pulp City status?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:19 am
MortalPosts: 34Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:29 am
First, a complaint. Please update the front page news a bit more often, like with the fact that you're making a full rulebook for the game that also updates the rules. That makes me more interested in the game.

What's up with distribution and supply? If I was to start playing at a store, from what distributor would I tell the owner to order these figures and rules from and will they even have it?

Which two sets should I get to start?

Is there any ETA on the book?

I was looking for a good fast game, playable on smaller spaces, and with more interesting objectives, and Pulp City seems it. How long do small 2-4 (per side) supreme games take? Are the objectives interesting? How well does it scale up with 3+ players, or even teams and larger table sizes?

How do the minion type stuff work? If I read correctly, you pay for them using point equal to the supreme level total set for the match? I think they all fall under resources right?

How's the terrain interactivity? In skimming comments about the new book, I read some comments that hinted at problems with the current rules. One of the big things I liked skimming the rules was that the supremes could really get around the table, and really interact with terrain, throwing cars, smashing things with lamp posts.

And speaking of which, I was planning to use World Works Games' modern terrain, but was thinking of having more traditional plastic or resin props. Is there a good place to buy these? Perhaps stuff for model railroads? What scale works best for that?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:09 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Hi Vertucio, glad you joined us. I can't comment on the website or the distribution thing, but Morf is a one-man show so there are only so many things that can get done when other things take precedence. However, I do see your point and understand your concern as a possible new player.

Let me see if I can answer your questions:
Vertrucio wrote:
Which two sets should I get to start?

-This is up to you. The starters include models you can't buy in expansion packs. Otherwise, I'd look for a level 1 and level 2 supreme (total of 3 levels) expansion and buy one of those. If you buy a second expansion at level 3, you have two perfect teams ready to play. The starters include level 8 teams. Since the cards are available as free here on the forums, figure out which figures you like best and go that route.

Vertrucio wrote:
Is there any ETA on the book?

-There sure is. Preorders were taken at Gen Con and should be ready late September. I'd guess late september or early October when you can finally order the book. However, you know how things are in the gaming world...

Vertrucio wrote:
How long do small 2-4 (per side) supreme games take? Are the objectives interesting? How well does it scale up with 3+ players, or even teams and larger table sizes?

Small encounters can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and bigger games will take longer- possibly two hours or more if you don't know the rules well enough, etc. Each group of people is different in this regard.

Objectives include two things: Agendas and Plots. Plots are overarching goals that both teams try to deal with. Agendas are individual team plans that can be accomplished for agenda points within the game. As an example, a plot can be a zombie invasion. Both teams deal with the invasion in their own Villainous or Heroic way (I don't go into details but you get the point I hope). While that is going on, the villains may have chosen "Revenge" as an agenda and must try to take out a specific supreme on the heroe's team. At the same time, the heroes could have taken "This one must survive" agenda and keep a specific hero alive for the entirety of the game. There are six Plots and several agendas that heroes and villains can take.

Table size should be at 3' x 3' unless you go bigger than say a level 9 encounter. You should then play on a larger surface, say 4' x 4'. However, smaller games at level 4/5 or lower can be played on 2' x 2' boards.

Team games are just fine. Gen Con held the Ulthar invasion an had four teams, I believe, (3 heroes/villains VS 1 Ulthar) fighting on a 4' x 4' board. There are images here on this forum of that.

Vertrucio wrote:
How's the terrain interactivity?

This is one of the nice things about Pulp City. You think you are safe hiding behind that dumpster? Well Iron Train can walk right up, spend an action point or two, pick that dumpster up and smash you with it. Supremes have "Trump" traits that allow them to interact with terrain (Throw, smash, extra damage) as well as other fun unique actions. Terrain has a level and can be manipulated as many times as it's level before being destroyed. Small things, level 1, cars, dumpsters, level 2, and buildings, heavy machinery, planes, are level 3. Some of the Agendas/Plots require you to destroy buildings/ secret bases/ or terrain elements as part of the storyline!

The current free rules do have some issues which is why an updated printed version is being done. We've played this game for over three years and have found some things to streamline and make more user-friendly in the updated rules.

Vertrucio wrote:
Is there a good place to buy these? Perhaps stuff for model railroads? What scale works best for that?
Yes, you can buy terrain from a lot of different manufacturers. Armorcast is one I can think of off the top of my head. Check this link out in the hobby section one these forums for more details:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12

"O" train buildings and items work best. HO is too little and I think G scale is much too big. I've used several O scale things and they fit right into the game.

I hope I answered your questions as best as I could. With all the new things (rulebook, etc) coming down the pipe I may have missed something. Anyway, welcome to the game and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:06 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Distribution wouldvbe based on where your from. Assuming you're from the US, we have Alliance and Thwwarstore easily available to order from for a shop owner. In the beginning of September, the Pulp Monster online shop reopens and you can order personally from there. However, I understand and applaud you wanting to order through your LGS.

As far as terrain goes, World Works has some pretty stuff, as does Fat Dragon and Paper MakeIt... really the best route for me, with durability, cost, and quality has been Bachmann O or O/S scale terrain. Because the local gaming shop doesn't carry it, I order from trainmodels.com. They send coupons and have really cheap prices. If you choose that route, go for "kits" and not the finished product since you're going to likely paint it different than they do. I would try to stay away from Lionel terrain in that scale.... whole they might make quality engines, their terrain is "meh" at best. For cara/trucks, Rite Aid drug store sells modem metal cars that are perfect and the cargo crates from At-43 work wonders... thee are also online paper models for crates that work well.

Anyway, welcome to the neighborhood! Take a look around and introduce yourself! I am sure we can answer your questions regarding which supremest to get when we know a little more of what you like to okay. Personally, anything with Seabolt in it is the way I would go!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm
Read some more about the new rules compared to the ones available in the game guide. I like the changes.

However, this got me thinking, are the new rules going to require new rules/cards for all the Supremes? If so, how do we go about obtaining them?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:03 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Vertrucio wrote:
Read some more about the new rules compared to the ones available in the game guide. I like the changes.

However, this got me thinking, are the new rules going to require new rules/cards for all the Supremes? If so, how do we go about obtaining them?

No; the rules have been addressed with the existing cards in mind.

There may be some changes (as has already happened with Nuke and Guerilla - neither due to the evolution of the rules, but rather that specific rules they had didn't work as intended), but I imagine they will be small in number.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:06 am
Got the starter sets ordered finally, and I was taking a look at other heroes and villains to build more customized teams, such as the robot army I was thinking of doing it.

Then I realized, I really didn't know what was available, and how to get it.

A quick look at Alliance shows way fewer supremes available than I've seen talked about on these forums. To the point where I'm not even sure which supremes have been released to the public, which ones are released but aren't available due to distribution or supply.

Case in point, I was looking into getting Vector, which I assume is available, but can't find where to actually buy him.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:28 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
Vertrucio wrote:
Got the starter sets ordered finally, and I was taking a look at other heroes and villains to build more customized teams, such as the robot army I was thinking of doing it.

Then I realized, I really didn't know what was available, and how to get it.

A quick look at Alliance shows way fewer supremes available than I've seen talked about on these forums. To the point where I'm not even sure which supremes have been released to the public, which ones are released but aren't available due to distribution or supply.

Case in point, I was looking into getting Vector, which I assume is available, but can't find where to actually buy him.

The Pulp Monsters web-store is usually a good guide of what is currently in production.

However, the store will be re-opening in September (I believe), following a break after Gencon.

Vector has been available for a few months now. I think there is some increased uptake with the US distribution, but I am no expert on that so hopefully someone more knowledgeable on that front than me can chime in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:36 am
Thanks for the answers, but I was wondering about resources again.

Do I have to take them?

I mean I know it's always a good idea to do so since you automatically get resources points, but say I was doing demos for some friends with the current starter sets, would it break the game to play without resources? I figure it would add a little more complexity that isn't needed while we're starting out.

I was worried about things like ranged Supremes, such as Gentleman, not being able to do anything if he doesn't have a gun resource equipped. But from reading the resource cards it looks like those resources just boost a character's abilities or provide new actions. (Gentleman can shoot 3 quite a few times with the dual pistols?)

Also, considering that the game is in a transitional phase, I want to start off playing with the new rules, or as many of the new rules as I can when I introduce the game to my friends.

Which new rules should I use that have been released? Is there any way I can buy a PDF of the rules?

I'm definitely using the new movement rules, although I'm not sure about the flight rules. Same goes for the Power Up rules. Have they said what super damage does yet? Sadly the new trump trait preview doesn't have enough detail to work with. I was hoping to have fun letting them toss scenery around more fluidly.

When we expand to using stuff like minions, I'm assuming that the rules for minion command should be the one in the BOOM document, right?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:34 am
Hi Vetrucio, there are no hard and fast answers to all of your questions, so the best advice I can offer is below.

Vertrucio wrote:
Thanks for the answers, but I was wondering about resources again.

Do I have to take them?

I mean I know it's always a good idea to do so since you automatically get resources points, but say I was doing demos for some friends with the current starter sets, would it break the game to play without resources? I figure it would add a little more complexity that isn't needed while we're starting out.

No, you don't have to take them, but it may be worth using some Resources just to get a feel for them. Instead of using all the Resource Points, maybe use a smaller total (not my idea BTW, I think I stole this one from BhQ).

Quote:
I was worried about things like ranged Supremes, such as Gentleman, not being able to do anything if he doesn't have a gun resource equipped. But from reading the resource cards it looks like those resources just boost a character's abilities or provide new actions. (Gentleman can shoot 3 quite a few times with the dual pistols?)

Don't forget that without the Sniper Rifle Gentleman loses his Snipe Action.

Quote:
Also, considering that the game is in a transitional phase, I want to start off playing with the new rules, or as many of the new rules as I can when I introduce the game to my friends.

Which new rules should I use that have been released? Is there any way I can buy a PDF of the rules?

As for rules to use? Start by introducing the new ones you are most comfortable with.

There should be a new free download pdf eventually with the new rules - I understand that there will be that running alongside the printed rulebook in time.

Quote:
I'm definitely using the new movement rules, although I'm not sure about the flight rules. Same goes for the Power Up rules. Have they said what super damage does yet? Sadly the new trump trait preview doesn't have enough detail to work with. I was hoping to have fun letting them toss scenery around more fluidly.

What details do you need about the Trump Traits? Maybe we can help.

Quote:
When we expand to using stuff like minions, I'm assuming that the rules for minion command should be the one in the BOOM document, right?

That is a sound basis - there are some changes, but they still retain the major principles of the BOOM document, and add in a few options with some changes to MPP, stuff like that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:00 pm
Thanks again for the quick answers. I'll probably start out with level 3 encounters for demos with set heroes.

Then when those are done, anyone interested in playing further can try out a larger team game, probably with multiple players and each controlling 1-2 supremes from the starter set, and half resources. This way Gentleman can get his sniper rifle, and Hoodoo can get her wolf. Probably stick some minions in there too.

As for rules, I was just wondering about specifics for Scenery Manipulation and Super Damage effects. I'm assuming the scenery sizes are respectively the same 3 strength brackets as in the Guide pdf? I ask because I know when I demo, one of the first things a player will ask me is how he can throw a car into another supreme, or bash him with a street lamp. ;)

I'll just assume on Super Damage (7 or more damage) a model is thrown, maybe 1/2 the total damage dealt inches directly away from the attacker and knocked down? I know you can't give away the complete rules yet, but that seems fair enough until I can get the rule book.

The starters should arrive in Friday, looking forward to this. A lot of others are also interested since the game only needs 2-3 miniatures to get a quick game in.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:05 pm
Morf wrote:
Biggest change is that the objects now come in 3 sizes: 1-Small, 2-Medium, 3-Large.
The size is also the number of times an object may be manipulated before it goes to the object's heaven.
For instance, a Car (2) may be thrown once, then thrown back and it's gone.
Street Light (1) survives just one bash!

Both Scenery Manipulation Actions count as Strikes, effectively adding some options to existing weapons in the arsenal of every self-respecting brute.

Throw is a ranged Strike, its power depending on the object size. 1 is a basic projectile, while 2 and 3 become Blasts with the object rank radius.

Smash uses an object grabbed at any point of the move (and combined with the move) adding +1 to the Opposed Roll on top of any other bonuses and granting Reach with the value equal to the object's rank.

Now the cool part is that both Actions benefit from Super Damage 7 - inflict 7 or more points of Damage and send your opponent flying. Mind that there are and will be effects that lower the Super Damage value (meaning you need less points to conjure the effect).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:45 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
At Gen Con the Supremes we used were Androida and Iron Train VS Hellsmith and Gentleman.

I played Heroes most of the time. I'd Run Androida up using faster than bullets. Then, the Villains player almost always then wanted to use Gentleman. At this point, Snipe was used with the sniper rifle. In addition, Trump traits for both supremes could be used so Power Ups can be used.

This allowed a lot of basic explanations in the first activation for the new player.

Next, Iron Train would roll up and try to grab a car and throw it or get into a position to be thrown at by Hellsmith.

Again, explanations of Throw or Grab with trump traits can come into effect.

By this time, the new player gets a grasp of the mechanics and play can continue fairly easily.

This was on a 2' x 2' board to make getting into combat easier. Beermonkey swapped out Hellsmith for Guerrilla as well since a lot of people liked the Monkeys!

Hope that helps some.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM