<  New Characters  ~  Sovereign, the first British Supreme

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:21 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Sovereign is more an idea than a man of flesh, when and where the Crown calls, he appears out of nowhere, preferring a head-on charge over stealth and diplomacy. Let's face it - Sovereign is the master of the blade and the MKI Albion blaster and not a great talker.

One piece sculpt from James van Schaik. Ready for Salute if the metal gods in Birmingham are favorable! Red is a nightmare to photograph!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:05 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
True British Steel - looks great and i can't wait to paint up this particular Redcoat! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:22 pm
HeroPosts: 209Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 pm
pulpcitizen wrote:
True British Steel - looks great and i can't wait to paint up this particular Redcoat! :)

Yep, just saw this guy on the Facebook page. Now to find a Dr. Who figure that counts as Cronin to be a sidekick :)

Sleeping - Actually, yes!
Working - Feverishly to appease the dark gods of the US federal govt, still. Sigh...
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:25 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
abbysdad wrote:
pulpcitizen wrote:

Yep, just saw this guy on the Facebook page. Now to find a Dr. Who figure that counts as Cronin to be a sidekick :)

You may want to look at Heresy, Hasslefree and Crooked Dice...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:28 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Interesting. I was hoping for something a little more Captain Britain and a little less Rogue Trader myself. Oh well we can't love them all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:46 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
Interesting. I was hoping for something a little more Captain Britain and a little less Rogue Trader myself. Oh well we can't love them all.

For me this is a great visual concept, not least because the idea of an eternal/immortal solider is a strong one in comics (Unknown Soldier; Eternal Warrior; Astro City's Old Soldier; Squadron Supreme's the Soldier; Adam Eterno; Cosmic Warrior etc).

Also this has a feel that reminds me of characters from the Valiant comic and especially 2000 AD, which are both very British in their take on heroes.

It could have great cross-over potential as well (AE Bounty/Sci-Fi etc). :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:29 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Really REALLY nice!

My ONLY criticism is the colour scheme - no white (other than his hair) - the concept/idea is sound, and unlike BM I am relieved he's not carbon copy of other British Super Hero's.

Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .

"Damned if you Do, Damned if you don't"
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:45 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Must be a British thing. (shrugs)
:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:45 pm
Beermonkey wrote:

Well, you know how we are! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:46 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 1461Location: Zen StudiosJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Beermonkey wrote:

What, being right - definitely ;)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:32 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 153Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm
pulpcitizen wrote:
For me this is a great visual concept, not least because the idea of an eternal/immortal solider is a strong one in comics (Unknown Soldier; Eternal Warrior; Astro City's Old Soldier; Squadron Supreme's the Soldier; Adam Eterno; Cosmic Warrior etc).

Also this has a feel that reminds me of characters from the Valiant comic and especially 2000 AD, which are both very British in their take on heroes.

It could have great cross-over potential as well (AE Bounty/Sci-Fi etc). :)

This

Quote:
Really REALLY nice!

... the concept/idea is sound, and unlike BM I am relieved he's not carbon copy of other British Super Hero's

& This.

It somehow also makes me think of Blakes 7 - I guess the Rogue Trader aesthetic is pretty close to that too.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:47 pm
He's got a whole Swashbuckler/Napoleonic vibe to him - considering ALL 40k imagery is ripped off from other sources, you could argue a Games Workshop "lookalike" about most models from every miniatures range out there . . . . .

TAKING IT IN CONTEXT as a Super-Hero Miniature, its fresh and exciting - whilst being accessible to the casual observer too.

Another triumph IMHO.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:56 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Right. I think this guy plays his part well and looks good at it.

My little gripe is his "toes" that stick out from his boots. Does he have talons?

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:53 pm
varagon wrote:
Right. I think this guy plays his part well and looks good at it.

My little gripe is his "toes" that stick out from his boots. Does he have talons?

Those are standard "Dredd" Boots, Mike McMahon started it all off and its become a standard of British Comic Artists LoL!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:21 pm
MortalPosts: 20Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:03 pm
Mine is definitely going to get an Admiral Nelson hat...

Offline Profile