<  Conventions, Shows & Tournaments  ~  Gen Con 2011

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:56 pm
SidekickPosts: 60Location: Rockville, MD, USAJoined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:07 am
I wouldn't. I build my teams with an eye toward aesthetics and fluff. Winning is really just a side benefit - not the goal.

The goal when playing Pulp City, no matter where, for me - is to have fun, do some funny/cool things and bond with friends over a GAME. I think this is generally accomplished, and is how our group approaches PC at home and at events.

Aaron

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:03 pm
MortalPosts: 20Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:03 pm
I tried to build with a bit more consideration towards effectiveness (my team was a hodgepodge, although they're all models I think are badass). I put in a beatstick (hellsmith), an all-rounder (Guerilla), a dedicated ranged fig (Howler) and an 'antagonist' who generally mucks with the opponent (Kitty). The board control that Howler and Kitty provide (staredown+walk the otherside) is immensely useful in scenarios that require the opponent to get to certain places (except for freaking Apebot, who is immune to Mind...).

The only thing I consciously neglected was a truly strong Mind-trump. I was forced to make Kitty Mind Trump almost every turn to have a shot at winning the starting roll, and even then I was just a 4.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:52 pm
User avatarSidekickPosts: 58Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:24 am
I just couldn't seem to track down Morf during the convention, which was a disappointment, but it's great to hear that Pulp City had such an entertaining tournament.

My love affair with Pulp City still burns hot and I'm already hard at work painting my new reinforcements I picked up at the show.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:50 pm
MortalPosts: 4Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:12 pm
I liked my team for the tournament both for the style of miniatures and how they played together. The next time I will be adding Dr. Red to the list and leaving out Silverager. I left him primarily because I had never used him before - big mistake. Especially since everyone I played against was nice enough to help me with rules and team building after the game was over.

While I really like the model for Silverager, I learned that having a model with a trump mind stat, and at a 6 no less, is very important in a tourney.

Also, how can you argue with an orangutan that throws explosives?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:12 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
csr556 wrote:

Also, how can you argue with an orangutan that throws explosives?

Usually from at least 500 yards away with a high powered rifle. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:33 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
I liked seeing all the Ulthar teams this year. Was neat to see the aliens invade again. It's a tough thing to build a team that provides hitting power, staying power, and mobility all of which are so important to have in Pulp City. Aaron was also smart enough to bring June Summers with him. Having a model that can score the ever crucial AGP for you is always a good idea.

Next year as Morf said we might change it up a bit. If we do what do people want out of the Tournament? Custom Plots? Add Agendas? Bigger games? Throw us some feed back!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:31 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Beermonkey wrote:
Aaron was also smart enough to bring June Summers with him. Having a model that can score the ever crucial AGP for you is always a good idea.

Maryland: home of the Pulp City Champions.

Quote:
Next year as Morf said we might change it up a bit. If we do what do people want out of the Tournament? Custom Plots? Add Agendas? Bigger games? Throw us some feed back!

New scenarios would be nifty, but that'd be a lot of work. Custom plots would likely be the next best thing. Other random elements (weather effects, the occasional rampaging monster) would spice things up as well.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:03 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 947Location: Frankfort, KentuckyJoined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:18 pm
skrivanek wrote:
I wouldn't. I build my teams with an eye toward aesthetics and fluff. Winning is really just a side benefit - not the goal.

The goal when playing Pulp City, no matter where, for me - is to have fun, do some funny/cool things and bond with friends over a GAME. I think this is generally accomplished, and is how our group approaches PC at home and at events.

Aaron

You said it Aaron! I had a blast palying in the tourney, but really wish I had more time to play pick up games and just have more fun!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:43 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
If the rest of my Dark Age models sells, I'll have $350 for next year to get me there and back!

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM