<  Tournaments  ~  Tournaments- What do you want to see?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:02 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
Morf has a post here outlining some things- Look it over, make suggestions, comments here, and we'll try to collate them into something more "official" that can be printed and handed out.

Morf's tournament guidelines:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=589

Use this forum post to make suggestions, etc

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:32 pm
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 139Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:06 am
it would be good to have a pdf of tourney rules we could just print off and hand to each player so they know what the scenario requires of them ect. a 4x4 board is prob the easiest to use as although some modular boards lend themselves to the 3x3 size most do better as 2x2 or 4x4 (maybe others have a different view, its just my personal exp)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:18 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
For GenCon what we've been doing is setting up six boards Each board has one of the 6 Pulp City Plots. No agendas. Then run it round robin style. We go three rounds and score based on:

2 VP for a win
1 VP for a tie
0 for a loss

In the event of a tie we also record AGP for each match. This is a tie breaker only as some Plots will simply score more AGP than others.

For me what I'd like to see is A) a prize for sportsmanship. B) a prize for "Most Comic Book Moment!"

Both of these would be voted by on by your opponents. Let's face it Pulp City isn't really about winning and losing. It's about Supremes smashing up the city and each other and everyone having a good time. I think our Tournament Rules need to echo that statement.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:25 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
With fewer tables (such as loudo & Hendybadger discussed), maybe strip Devon's suggestion back to 3 Plots and rotate players around the tables for those to maximise variation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:07 pm
User avatarImmortalPosts: 1161Location: Montreal, CanadaJoined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am
Sportsmanship should definitely factor in. I've been in tournaments with it and without it and I always love to see the really fun players rewarded.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:33 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
With the scenarios in the book and the ones Morf has posted up, that gives 15 to play with.
If tourneys get regular then people wont be building for certain scenarios because they wont know what they will be until they play.
Would the Invasion take too long for a tourney game?

I like the sportsmanship idea. All for that in any events at our local club.
And the 'Most Comic Book Moment' is just genius!

What about taking 2 teams? Each has to be used atleast once per event. (Stolen from PP events)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:26 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
At GenCon we allow a 3 level sideboard.

So build a level 6 team. Then you can swap out any members for the additional Level 1 and Level 2 Supreme in your sideboard. Allows you to mix and match for best effect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:07 am
User avatarDefender of the NeighborhoodPosts: 139Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:06 am
i saw the sideboard thing in a previous thread and liked it. i think invasion is prob best left out of a tournament just for simplicity but that may just be my opinion.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:54 pm
User avatarPulp City IconPosts: 1819Location: Cornwall, UKJoined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm
At what point did you get to do that?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:57 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
hendybadger wrote:
At what point did you get to do that?

I haven't seen, but I'd suggest after you find out the Plot and or Agenda.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:13 pm
Yes basically once you get assigned the Board and Opponent you can swap out and build your team. That way you can take a more mobile force for say a Quest Plot, or a more aggresive force for King of the Hill. That kind of thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:25 pm
What would be the best sized team to use for a general event?

Maybe a 5,6 or 8?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:37 am
6 has worked well. Gives you enough AP to play with but doesn't require too many figures. Plus you can finish almost all the Plots in 60 minutes or so. Means you can have a fairly quick tournament and get on with other things...like beer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:16 pm
Which is always a bonus!