Author Message

<  Villain Tactics  ~  NUKE LVL 2 SCIENCE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:54 am
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
ERRATA

Radiation:
Replace: at half Nuke's :ENG
with: at full Nuke's :ENG

Nuclear Substances:
If purchased, Uranium or Plutonium become Nuke's Damage Sources.

Image

Image

Image

Image



_________________
Morf's activity log:
Painting: Khan, the Reaver Lord Watching: True Blood Listening to: Arcade Fire
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:52 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
NAME: NUKE

SUBFACTION: NONE

FUNCTION: AREA DENIAL/ MID-RANGE FIRE SUPPORT

BRIEF: Nuke is a powerful character but very difficult to use well. The thing to remember is that Nuke is not a blaster. Nuke is NOT a blaster. If you think of him like an artillery piece you'll fail, you need to think of him as the artillery shell.

POWERS: Nuke likes to work alone. Mostly because no one can really get close to him, he is living nuclear waste after all. Nuke likes to be close but not too close to his opponents, most of his powers are SBL. They also don't discriminate between friend and foe. Nuke works best in some cover to boost his rather sad :AGL 3. Best position for him is along a flank where he can hold off a number of models with his aura powers while keeping out of danger.

Nuke's Fire Inside is another power you want to use most every turn. It gives Nuke a total :AGL of 9 every time he's targeted by an :ENG attack. If you Hold off Nuke's activation in the following turn a bit you can get even more use out of this power. Combine this with some cover as I suggested earlier it will force you opponents to come get you. And that's just what you want.

Radiation is Nukes bread and butter power. It's moderate AP cost and large area SBL3 will often hit two or more characters at Nuke's impressive :ENG 6. This is the power that makes getting close to Nuke dangerous. Add to that Nuke's Aftershocks 1 means that the hurting doesn't stop when the round is over.

If an opponent does get close Nuclear Powerhouse is great. It lets Nuke make two attacks using his :ENG in close combat. Combine this with a charge and you get an effective :ENG 7 for BOTH attacks. Not bad at all. Even better it's only 2AP.

Apocalypse is a NASTY power, it lives up to it's name if you do it right. Trigger this power as soon as possible once you are in position. Now anyone caught in or moving into his 3" Aura is smacked with a :ENG 6 attack. This power can last ALL GAME. So use it early. Once it's up leave Nuke where he is at and continue to spend 2 AP to keep up Fire Inside and if someone gets close they'll take a hit from Apocalypse and you still have 3 AP left to smack them with Radiation, or Nuclear Powerhouse.

WEAKNESS: Nuke can't take a hit. He's got low defenses across the board, combined with Instability you want to make sure he doesn't get hit. You'll also notice his best defense trait is :DEF and it's a trump to boot. This should tell you that Nuke wants to be close to his enemies. Unlike Tangent or Ace of Wraiths, Nuke can't be left at range to dance about dodging. Long and the short of is that Nuke doesn't last long once he's under attack. So keep him in cover and if an opponent gets close attack, attack, attack.

SYNERGIES: Nuke isn't really a team player, but there are some things you can do to help him out. Always take his Radioactive Substance and use the Plutonium mix. This will keep a solid hit turning into a killing blow most of the time. Unless you have someone like Sister Bedlam along who could bring him back from the dead then you might consider the Uranium mix as it removes his Leave no Trace. Bedlam is a great character to have nearby as she can heal him without exposing herself to his radioactive auras.

Basically use Nuke wisely. As I said early on you have to think of him as a big pile of explosives. Place him correctly and he'll take out a number of enemies, placed wrong you'll get nothing but a big mess. Use him in take and hold missions or to deny the opponent easy movement through an area. He can also be very effective in taking out large numbers of citizens or minions in one big burst.


Last edited by Beermonkey on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.


_________________
Pulp City Lead Troubleshooter
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:55 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
On a personal note I'm a big Nuke fan. Love the model and the concept behind him. But he's got a real learning curve on him. It's taken me a good while to get the hang of him. In the end he's a very situational kind of model. If you can play to his strengths though he'll be your MVP everytime.



_________________
Pulp City Lead Troubleshooter
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:41 am
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Nice write-up Beermonkey! Thanks.



_________________
Morf wrote:
Larb is our top secret marketing weapon. He slips something in your drink and "bam" you are registered at the forum!


"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:44 pm
User avatarHeroPosts: 257Location: Kensington, MD, USAJoined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Beermonkey, love the reviews, keep them coming. They're a great resource for new players.



_________________
PMMDJ
Metal Skirmish

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat."
-Plastic Man, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:23 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Glad someone is getting some use outta of them. I'm also taking requests so if you want a write up on a particular model drop me a PM or something.



_________________
Pulp City Lead Troubleshooter
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:19 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 725Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm
Even not so new players anymore, I have to say, it's a quite useful resource :)



_________________
John S.'painting completion:
Dr Red 26%
Dr Mercury 100%
Seabolt 12%
Dr Tenebrous 100%
C.O.R.E. 100%

Pulp City collection (84,21% painted):
32* Supremes out of 38**
*incl. alt. Gentleman
**incl. Herald
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 472Location: Akron, OHJoined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm
What are you guys taking with Nuke? I'm going to assume his personal resource, but which version? The Instability 2 or the Absorb 1?

Beermonkey, that's an extremely helpful review - I was keeping Nuke pretty centered on the table and he's always one of the first to go down. . . I'll have to try him out on a flank and hold him back a little.



_________________
Stand on Truth, Walk in Faith
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:39 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 937Location: Burlington, Vermont, USAJoined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm
I almost always take Instability 2. His natural instability makes him a little too vulnerable for my tastes.



_________________
Morf wrote:
Larb is our top secret marketing weapon. He slips something in your drink and "bam" you are registered at the forum!


"Why did you draw that?" - Invader Larb at The Great Assigning for Operation Impending Doom II
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:01 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Exactly what Larb said. Instability is such a problem that you HAVE to counter it. I



_________________
Pulp City Lead Troubleshooter
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:07 am
MortalPosts: 34Location: Atlanta, GaJoined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:29 pm
Quote:
SYNERGIES: Nuke isn't really a team player, but there are some things you can do to help him out. Always take his Radioactive Substance and use the Plutonium mix. This will keep a solid hit turning into a killing blow most of the time. Unless you have someone like Sister Bedlam along who could bring him back from the dead then you might consider the Uranium mix as it removes his Leave no Trace. Bedlam is a great character to have nearby as she can heal him without exposing herself to his radioactive auras.

Basically use Nuke wisely. As I said early on you have to think of him as a big pile of explosives. Place him correctly and he'll take out a number of enemies, placed wrong you'll get nothing but a big mess. Use him in take and hold missions or to deny the opponent easy movement through an area. He can also be very effective in taking out large numbers of citizens or minions in one big burst.


Sorry for the necromancy, but how does Bedlam bring him back from the dead?



_________________
Necroplanar Supreme ZEE!
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:50 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 2139Location: Maine U.S.A.Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 am
Poor choice of words on my part. She can heal him. But with Leave No Trace if he goes down, he'll stay down.



_________________
Pulp City Lead Troubleshooter
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:16 am
HeroPosts: 268Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 am
Hi, I'm a brand new player and I'm having my first game tonight.

Reading through Nuke's abilities and I just want to confirm how his Atomic Division Team Power works. The way I read it is you choose an enemy model (minion or supreme) in LOS and they basically can't do anything for the entire turn? Which seems ridiculously powerful. But then it says that the chosen enemy reduced their AP level by 1, which doesn't seem to make sense as they can't use any actions and therefore can't spend AP?!?

Obviously I'm reading this wrong, please help a poor newbie :)


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:55 am
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
baskinders wrote:
Hi, I'm a brand new player and I'm having my first game tonight.

Reading through Nuke's abilities and I just want to confirm how his Atomic Division Team Power works. The way I read it is you choose an enemy model (minion or supreme) in LOS and they basically can't do anything for the entire turn? Which seems ridiculously powerful. But then it says that the chosen enemy reduced their AP level by 1, which doesn't seem to make sense as they can't use any actions and therefore can't spend AP?!?

Obviously I'm reading this wrong, please help a poor newbie :)


Hi Baskinders!

If you choose a minion, that minion can't use actions. In this case, the minions can't do a thing.

If you choose a supreme, that supreme uses one less action point. In this example, a supreme with 5 AP will now be reduced to 4 AP.

It's the subtle wording on the team power that as a new player, you may have to read a couple of times to notice exactly what it says.

Hope that helps!



_________________
Bob Nolan

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:57 pm
HeroPosts: 268Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 am
varagon wrote:
baskinders wrote:
Hi, I'm a brand new player and I'm having my first game tonight.

Reading through Nuke's abilities and I just want to confirm how his Atomic Division Team Power works. The way I read it is you choose an enemy model (minion or supreme) in LOS and they basically can't do anything for the entire turn? Which seems ridiculously powerful. But then it says that the chosen enemy reduced their AP level by 1, which doesn't seem to make sense as they can't use any actions and therefore can't spend AP?!?

Obviously I'm reading this wrong, please help a poor newbie :)


Hi Baskinders!

If you choose a minion, that minion can't use actions. In this case, the minions can't do a thing.

If you choose a supreme, that supreme uses one less action point. In this example, a supreme with 5 AP will now be reduced to 4 AP.

It's the subtle wording on the team power that as a new player, you may have to read a couple of times to notice exactly what it says.

Hope that helps!


Legend, thanks heaps for that. My mate often accuses me of not reading the rules, he's probably right :)

Good game by the way!


Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC [ DST ]
Page 1 of 1
15 posts
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
Search for:
Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
cron