<  FAN SECTION  ~  New character

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:36 am
User avatarSidekickPosts: 88Location: TexasJoined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:42 pm
I was thinking about a new character that if they engage with another in close combat., they mimic their characteristics for the remainder of the game. Kinda like Parasite or the Taskmaster but this guy could look like a weakling to draw the players in and then they are stunned by their skill. This character could in essence engage the entire board and just use the rules off the card whoever they wish. He could even start out as a civilian token and move about unnoticed like that then suddenly, SLURP he has the skills of Hellsmith!

To keep him from running the game make it a limited edition mini that is given out only at demos where you guys are running games or to GMs who host Pulp City games as a thank you. The mini could be a civilian silhouette and then the figure.

Total incentive to get people to the table and take part.

Call him the Adapter, Mimic, Copy Cat or Brian.

Just a thought,
Brian

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
User avatarMachinePosts: 141Location: Pulp City TeamJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:57 pm
well, I already thought about something like that - but a Supreme like that would be VERY powerfull...

the point of having Exclusive Actions for every Supreme is that they are ...well, exclusive ;)
and borrowing them could lead to a lot of 'what if...' questions, I'm affraid

making him 'limited edition' sounds like kind of a solution though

...and yes, I think that we might call this guy Brian :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:45 pm
His background could be that of a fan of Supremes and his apartment walls are covered with blown up pics of the bad guys from newspaper shots and posters of the heroes. He has the complete lines of Pulp City action figures and is the regional champ in the Pulp City Supremes Miniatures League. When not delivering pizzas or painting houses he is stalking the city streets for his heroes.

He discovers his powers by accident when he is cashing his paycheck at the local Whip N store when Iron Train smashes through the wall. BRIAN picks up his hero and with a quick smile Iron Train leaps back out and beats the Hell outta Hellsmith.

As he walks home, knees shaking with excitement he realizes he has developed the same powers as his hero. After hours of testing out his new gifts he realizes that they begin to wain and then he is back to his pathetic self.

Enter BRIAN and his addiction to Supremes more so now then ever.

Now that was off the cuff but pretty much sums up us comic book, gore hound, sci-fi collector gamer geeks in a very true at times stereotype.

Sounds like one Hell of an addiction,
Brian

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:19 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 1536Location: SE KansasJoined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 am
To keep it in check, his powers could last one activation, or even allow him to copy one or two exclusive actions for 1 turn.

Now Accepting Commissions!

My Blog: Pen and Lead
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:29 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Good to see you posting again Brian!
I like the idea - need to think how to keep the power in check!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:03 pm
You could limit his powers in that he wants to be a hero like his favorite Iron Train but he isn't the brightest person on the block and all this new skill is really raw and untested. Just because he can shoot the wing off a gnat at 1000 yards doesn't mean he knows how to the cock the gun or because he can influence any and all electronic devices within 3 city blocks doesn't mean he knows what machine does what and how it's manipulation can help him.

Basically he has the power to perform the skill but is hampered in his inexperience with it. This could be a modifier of some sort across the board but if he succeeds then well, we got ourselves a new super powered geek in town and everyone should be a bit scared because of it. So because the powers fade he never really perfects them unless he seeks out the city's Supremes and gains their powers so he can learn how to use them with more skill each time.

Could give him and Iron Train some special rules when they are on the table together. IT would have some sort of annoyance rule and BRIAN would have some sort of hero worship rule.

To limit him to a special collectors piece only obtained at gaming cons or special events will also limit his possible omnipotence on the board. Say a run of 50 or 100 max would make him a sought after collectors items and fan favorite.

He could look like your classic overweight gamer guy that sweats allot and wears nothing but t-shirts of his favorite hero Iron Train or punk bands and sweat pants with holes in them with untied high top sneakers.

Reminds me of someone I know,
Brian

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:14 pm
Heres his car but imagine no back bumper, a different colored passenger side door he got at the junk yard and a bunch of stickers on it saying "I Break for Supremes" or "Iron Train is the Man!"

Now you see why he needs to be a Supreme so he has some sort of self worth.

Brian

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:17 pm
User avatarHeraldPosts: 288Location: Sydney AustraliaJoined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 am
I don't like idea of having a super powerful figure that only a handful has access to inflict on others. Smells like ultra rares in CMG...

I'd go for balance with such an idea. He can be pimped out for special scenario.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:52 pm
Remember he has to survive the initial contact with whoever he is trying to gain powers from. If it is a hero then he will probably not get smacked around but if it's a baddy then he probably won't survive to see his new powers.

Brian

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:59 am
The LawPosts: 107Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:54 pm
Jim Dice wrote:
I don't like idea of having a super powerful figure that only a handful has access to inflict on others. Smells like ultra rares in CMG...

I'd go for balance with such an idea. He can be pimped out for special scenario.

I'm going to have to agree. Limited edition miniatures that only the fortunate or wealthy can get there hands on is a sure fire way to piss off your players. I know I'd start losing interest in the game if I have to start driving to conventions just to get my hands on a limited release character.

Conceptually its a fun character but it seems like it'd just be a huge headache to make rules that aren't ridiculous for him.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:39 pm
User avatarMinister of PulpPosts: 2027Location: Street FightingJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:13 pm
I liked the idea of limited stuff for Rackham - those special characters were never game breakers, in fact I don't recall any of them being fielded in competitive games. Oh well, maybe Arkeon.
We don't intend to have powerful models for the chosen. I think will stick to alternate sculpts as more rare minis.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:50 pm
The LawPosts: 107Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:54 pm
Morf wrote:
I liked the idea of limited stuff for Rackham - those special characters were never game breakers, in fact I don't recall any of them being fielded in competitive games. Oh well, maybe Arkeon.
We don't intend to have powerful models for the chosen. I think will stick to alternate sculpts as more rare minis.

Alternate sculpts is a far more reasonable means of giving out something special to con goers and attendees of special events without the less fortunate getting shafted. Players are far less likely to get angry with the company if they miss out on an alternate model.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:23 am
User avatarMortalPosts: 32Location: Melbourne, AustraliaJoined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:59 am
Yeah, what Jim Dice said, don't like the idea of "limited editions"

The real Ty!, No, really!
Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:02 pm
MortalPosts: 3Location: PolandJoined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:36 pm
yeah, alternate sculpt is good solution. I hated Rackham limited stuff. It's hobby after all and I want to have everything in range, but I will not fight for it, because I don't have enough time... well, limiting something for small group of players is bad idea and in that case I will proably loose heart for pulp city

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:51 pm
User avatarGuardian of PulpPosts: 4526Location: House of Jade LanternsJoined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am
varagon wrote:
To keep it in check, his powers could last one activation, or even allow him to copy one or two exclusive actions for 1 turn.

What about copying all of the exclusive actions (but not Team Power) of a target, as well as gaining the same trump traits(s) as the target, but adding +1AP to all exclusive actions since they are not as competent?